Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 06:49   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: This Short-Hand VHF Stuff is Driving me Insane

Well, she's pretty green!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:08   #92

Boat: Skookum 53'

I expect RH must have been pretty bored to start this thread in the first place. I expect he knew what the blow back would be like. I spell out the channels like 1, 3 instead of 13 just to insure clarity in case I wasn't heard clearly. You can hail a taxi in Dutch Harbor on VHF or order a pizza to be delivered. In del Carmen, Mexico, ch 16 vhf sounds like ch19 CB. In Nigeria forget about it, it is free wheel free for all. Every morning there is a young lady that comes on 16 to sing church hymns, it would be really nice, but she has a terrible voice. I have heard all manner of political diatribe broadcast on 16 vhf. Before I retire from here, I am going to make a recording of the radio traffic I hear, it will be the comedy hit of the century!
For me, I dislike radio traffic, so I turn my VHF off when on my boat. If I am underway to somewhere, I'll monitor 16, but will not speak unless addressed directly or answering a MayDay call.
Lighten up RH you are in paradise living the dream, if your circumstances vex you, then change them.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:03   #93

As mentioned, in Canada you're supposed to have a VHF operators card. I got mine, with DSC endorsement, from an easy 2-evening course at the Humber College Sailing School. They followed the Power Squadron curriculum, and used their book.

Regarding onshore use, I believe that in Canada, you can only operate a shore station on CH 68, and the operator should have their operators card.The clubs and marinas follow this.

It's not something that's heavily policed. It's not enforced on foreign visitors, I believe.

My favourite stupid VHF moment was on a holiday weekend with all the boats out in/around Toronto harbour, and some a$$h0l3 security company was using CH 68 to help with aligning some security cameras.

"Up...up. Ok there!" "Try seven again. No SEVEN!" "What??" "SEVEN!!. Oh sorry, SIX!!" "Down, Down Too far!"

for about 90 minutes.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:59   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Yes, really, for all countries that are signatories to the International Telecommunications Union (which does include the Bahamas FWIW) (ref Membership - List (ITUstates) [ITU external] [wind] ). What Bahamians do is a problem (or not) for The Bahamas authorities, not you or I. However what the Bahamians do, or do not do, does not justify what you (or I) do or don't do.

Of course, it is possible that local laws / regulations may take precedence over International conventions, rules and laws (such as is the case, for example, with SOLAS regulations in some cases). I can't really comment though, because frankly I don't know.

In Afghanistan, they murder girls for the crime of going to school. Doesn't mean its ok for you to do so as well.
I'm in the bahamas right now, and the VHF gets used for pretty much everything. BUT, everyone calls on 16 and immediately moves to another channel. It's just fine. No different from the fisherman jabbering back in Gloucester.

That said, I hear the "up-one" "down one" thing here all the time, and never heard it before arriving here. It's all the cruisers who do that, not the locals.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:46   #95

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
This occurred on the Chesapeake in 1992:
A US Army barge was transiting upbound, and trying to make VHF contact with the US Navy. No answer to repeated hails on Ch 16.
Finally, in frustration, the Army barge asked: “Does anyone know where the Navy is?”
Now if you’ve ever sailed the Chesapeake, you know there’s always radio “chatter”. After a very long, unheard of, silence, some wag commented: “The Army can’t find the Navy, God, I hope were’ not under attack!"
Having stood watches on Navy ships I'd probably not have answered either. If they had said a specific ship then yes. Would have been more appropriate for them to contact the Coast Guard since they monitor 16. It's possible too that a Navy responder was not in VHF range of the barge.

Also there are times when it is inappropriate to key a radio while aboard a Navy ship because it might seriously blow something up. Something dangerous that you can neither confirm or deny the presence of.

On the humorous side, there were very few times where the Navy wants the Army to find them.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:21   #96
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

How Vhf should be used...

http://www.ship-tracking.co.uk/radio/index.html

Sent from my SGP312 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:50   #97

My favorite charter VHF radio chatter was the the boat that called the charter base an hour after starting their charter because they did not know how to raise the main sail. Had to get step by step instructions over the VHF.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:12   #98

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm in the bahamas right now, and the VHF gets used for pretty much everything. BUT, everyone calls on 16 and immediately moves to another channel. It's just fine. No different from the fisherman jabbering back in Gloucester.

That said, I hear the "up-one" "down one" thing here all the time, and never heard it before arriving here. It's all the cruisers who do that, not the locals.
The Bahamas drive the radio Nazis crazy, which is entertaining in and of its self. I get a kick out of the "no, not channel 17!" crowd.

It might be nice for the "popular kids" to learn to use DSC. I don't use it but I am not among them so I don't need to. The same half a dozen boats hail each other 12 times a day here in Chicken Harbour.....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 13:04   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have to say I don't see the problem with using some kind of slang or shorthand on the VHF. If it is understood by the parties involved and gets them off 16 and onto a working channel promptly then who cares?

What difference if they communicate in slang or Navajo, Tagalog or Martian. If they aren't calling me and isn't a Mayday then I don't see why it would matter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf