Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 11:15   #16

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'm not sure delivery up a coast is really 'offshore'.We picked up my new (old) boat four weeks back and had to sail her down inland waterways in Netherlands then across the English Channel to home in UK. Both the magnetic compasses on board were defunct but we had a handheld plus a trusty iPhone. On the iPhone we coul dial up speed, charts, and compass.
What's the issue?
JOHN
Old 14-10-2010, 11:46   #17

HARDLY...

It's fools like this that will lead to a day when going offshore requires getting a license from some gov't body stating that you have all the required equipment aboard and the knowledge to use it..

And I bet a compass is right up at the top of the list...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 13:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
How about not leave for off shore without a compass ?

-Sven
Compasses and charts are needed anymore; just bring a laptop and an iphone. Nothing can go wrong.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 15:02   #19

Boat: Peterson 46
When moving someone elses boat and many other times, helping as crew, I used to bring 'my gear' amongst which was my small plastimo hand bearing compass, 176C plotter with charts and a small toolkit with stuff to repair some 12V electrical dramas - wire/crimps/inline fuse and a multimeter etc.

So I would stick my neck out and say the delivery crew were showing intiative, but not were not prepared enough.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 15:41   #20

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Makes one think that perhaps a potential delivery crew should have a check list much like a flight crew prior to take off. So if something is not on board or appears faulty, bring your own.
Old 14-10-2010, 15:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Makes one think that perhaps a potential delivery crew should have a check list much like a flight crew prior to take off. So if something is not on board or appears faulty, bring your own.
Excellent point. I have a mental list, which is going to become a written part of any contract I sign.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 16:12   #22

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
I guess I wasn't here for the Abby Sunderland drama, but does the forum really have it out for her so badly? I understand it wasn't a great idea to cross that stretch of ocean when she did, but it's not like it's the biggest mistake any of us have ever made.
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 21:58   #23

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I'd assume that any professional delivery captain would always bring his own binoculars, handheld compass, VHF and GPS as a matter of course ? When we rent/charter boats away from our home port we certainly bring that stuff as backup both for our own safety and to not endanger the boat we've taken responsibility for.

-Sven
Old 15-10-2010, 05:32   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
I guess I wasn't here for the Abby Sunderland drama, but does the forum really have it out for her so badly? I understand it wasn't a great idea to cross that stretch of ocean when she did, but it's not like it's the biggest mistake any of us have ever made.
She's made her "adventure" quite public in hopes of fame and fortune. She put herself out there as a role model. I have a 14-year-old son, and I would not suggest to him that going offshore (or let's quibble, coastal - worse, in any case) without a compass or a proper chart.

Besides, the discussion here isn't about Wild Eyes, but about her compassless and (apparently) chartless coastal delivery.
Old 15-10-2010, 06:25   #25

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
She's made her "adventure" quite public in hopes of fame and fortune. She put herself out there as a role model. I have a 14-year-old son, and I would not suggest to him that going offshore (or let's quibble, coastal - worse, in any case) without a compass or a proper chart.

Besides, the discussion here isn't about Wild Eyes, but about her compassless and (apparently) chartless coastal delivery.
Oh, I'm able to distinguish between the events, and I do understand that going to sea without a compass and/or paper charts is pretty foolish under any circumstances. No arguments there.

That said, I have to imagine that there wouldn't be quite the same tone when discussing her if she hadn't dismasted herself during her highly publicized circumnav attempt. Besides, shoudn't the scorn be directed at her dad in this case, since it sounds like it was his delivery?

I guess it just strikes me as odd, that's all. I don't mind people being vocal about their dreams, and I also don't mind them attempting to capitalize on it. Part of that is taking your licks when you earn 'em, but it just seemed like people here would be a little more forgiving of her youthful exuberance, especially when it comes out via one of our points of collective passion.

Oh well. Like I said, I wasn't here. Communities often reach different conclusions as a group than we might expect. Nothing otherworldly about that.
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 13:45   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
You could be right, but I think it wouldn't matter, really (whether she'd completed the circumn or not).

Where are you in the PI? Asia's best-kept secret. Nicest people, worst cuisine. But overall, it's one of my favorite places!
Old 16-10-2010, 13:57   #27

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Personally I think that the binnacle compass is redundant and obsolete... However I do carry a compass... just in case.....But how much time do you look at the compass while navigating a shallow tight channel ???? Offshore..... I have 4 electronic compasses ( on GPS ) each independently powered and 1 handheld GPS... So far I have not pulled the compass out....! Top Right corner.....!

https://static.garmincdn.com/en/prod...00/g/cf-lg.jpg
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 14:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
Personally I think that the binnacle compass is redundant and obsolete... However I do carry a compass... just in case.....But how much time do you look at the compass while navigating a shallow tight channel ????
Never - I also do not look at the GPS.

Quote:
Offshore..... I have 4 electronic compasses ( on GPS ) each independently powered and 1 handheld GPS... So far I have not pulled the compass out....!
I will admit I like a fluxgate compass, but offshore I use a binnacle compass.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 15:35   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
When moving someone elses boat and many other times, helping as crew, I used to bring 'my gear' amongst which was my small plastimo hand bearing compass, 176C plotter with charts and a small toolkit with stuff to repair some 12V electrical dramas - wire/crimps/inline fuse and a multimeter etc.

So I would stick my neck out and say the delivery crew were showing intiative, but not were not prepared enough.
Amen to that!

Here's what I always take when I'm crewing on another boat, even if it's only for a beer-can race:

* hockey puck compass
* PLB
* small handheld GPS
* Leatherman tool
* LED headlamp with strobe
Old 16-10-2010, 15:54   #30

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
Hmmm,

Actually, I think that it is worse than the biggest mistake most of us have ever made, because that mistake cost her her yacht, and the various rescuing governments/boats/people lots of time and dollars.

Most of us have not (yet) made that bad a mistake.

Cheers,

Jim