Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 07:30   #61

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: This is Getting Ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Different boat, Mark...
Whoops....I gotta get off CF. for a while....threads are merging in my head.. I'm going sailing be back later.....
Old 24-07-2014, 07:40   #62

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Being good at taking tests will always render some portion of a population trained but incompetent. I saw such for over thirty years in aviation. Social pressure is the best method to limit the excess by folks who end up in trouble. I admire all on here who have made and continue to make major voyages. That's what its all about. But not every checkbook sailor should try it.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 07:46   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
That's what its all about. But not every checkbook sailor should try it.
I have taken the liberty to modify my quote of your post.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 13:39   #64

Boat: Pearson 34-II

To Megalodon in brief reply:

1. I never said anyone 'deserves to die"
2. I would not be generally happier "if fewer people were sailing."
I would be happier if fewer people who are clearly incompetent
did not head offshore and expect to be rescued by the CG at the
taxpayers expense. . . did you know we're broke and in a Recession?
3. I never advocated decommissioning the CG.
4. And in response to your following quote:"I have no problem at all kicking in a few bucks a year to support a service that saves lives and helps the unfortunate, and yes, sometimes the poorly prepared." Megalodon . . . I would suggest sponsoring legislation to create a USCG superfund designated for rescues of this sort and supported entirely by people like you who willingly will devote money whenever needed for these fiascos. Everytime a rescue is initiated, the lives of these brave and competent Coasties are on the line. The money is only a consequence of the call. I hope this answers your concerns. Good luck, good sailing and may your dentist be blessed with hard leather gloves.
Old 24-07-2014, 15:01   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Being good at taking tests will always render some portion of a population trained but incompetent. I saw such for over thirty years in aviation. Social pressure is the best method to limit the excess by folks who end up in trouble. I admire all on here who have made and continue to make major voyages. That's what its all about. But not every checkbook sailor should try it.

Truly you can regulate boating to a great extent the same way Aviation is actually regulated, and it's not the Feds, it's insurance. Usually it costs so much to insure an advanced / expensive / complex aircraft that almost all get the additional training and experience required to make the insurance affordable.
Of course if your name is Kennedy or similar, then you just pay the higher insurance rate, but for most it's insurance that drives aviation not the Feds
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 15:06   #66

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Truly you can regulate boating to a great extent the same way Aviation is actually regulated, and it's not the Feds, it's insurance. Usually it costs so much to insure an advanced / expensive / complex aircraft that almost all get the additional training and experience required to make the insurance affordable.
Of course if your name is Kennedy or similar, then you just pay the higher insurance rate, but for most it's insurance that drives aviation not the Feds
I think it already does to some extent...last I heard insurance rates for vessels to cross an ocean are scary...that's why so many do it uninsured.

Any recent crossers that would like to share what their premiums (relative...no need to give actual) were when they crossed and before would be appreciated.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 15:25   #67

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I'd be interested in what you reckon the % of sailors don't know how to heave to.

Given the recurring questions on this and many other sailing forums about "How do i heave to?", I have the feeling it's way higher than we might think for something that should be almost as basic as raising sail.
Let´s not even get to the practice of heaving to, which is part of the curriculum of every decent beginner´s sailing course anywhere in the world... In this year´s Pacific crossing crowd I was amazed at how many native-born English speakers cold not even conjugate "heave to" properly.

Dockhead has covered the grammar angle ( http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...to-129018.html ); I just thought about the practical implication..

I took that as proof that many of those "captains" had not even read any basic sailing booklet that may not be enough to teach you how to heave to, but at least will tell you that the gerund of "to heave" is "heaving", not "hoving". It may not be irrelevant that in USA USCG will give people a piece of paper that lets them call themselves "Captain" without a practical exam to show they know how to heave to or pick up a mooring, and in fact many people will sail million-dollar boats without even a USCG ticket!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 15:30   #68

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

In the USA, boating is one of the last things that has not been regulated to death. The enforcement of existing laws has already escalated, the last thing we need is more of them.

I have no problem with people asking for rescue and funding the USCG.

Thankfully we have the USCG, and not have to depend on some of you to get help when in trouble. I would not help anyone in a monohull, sailboat because that kind of boat is obviously unsafe with a single rudder, single diesel engine, tons of ballast, no watertight bulkheads, clearly unsafe and should not be allowed to go offshore. And single handers? WTF, that is so clearly unsafe that not only illegal, you should be jailed for not less than 3 years if caught, or maybe worse. Children on board? Are you kidding me, 10 years in prison outright. And the firing squad if you don't have a 200 lb anchor and 500 lbs of chain on a 7:1 scope.

Indeed, this is Getting Ridiculous

Old 24-07-2014, 15:46   #69

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Let's not forget floggings and keel haulings for first offenses.
Old 24-07-2014, 16:24   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Let's not forget floggings and keel haulings for first offenses.
thats a refreshing take on bondage.........i like a woman in uniform
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 16:36   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I would not help anyone in a monohull, sailboat because that kind of boat is obviously unsafe with a single rudder, single diesel engine, tons of ballast, no watertight bulkheads, clearly unsafe and should not be allowed to go offshore. And single handers? WTF, that is so clearly unsafe that not only illegal, you should be jailed for not less than 3 years if caught, or maybe worse. Children on board? Are you kidding me, 10 years in prison outright. And the firing squad if you don't have a 200 lb anchor and 500 lbs of chain on a 7:1 scope.
I will help anyone in any sort of vessel with the exception of sinking jet skis. For those I will just smile and waive [sic] happily as I sail past them.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 16:59   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah, so it was you!...
Old 24-07-2014, 17:08   #73

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I will help anyone in any sort of vessel with the exception of sinking jet skis. For those I will just smile and waive [sic] happily as I sail past them.
No worries. Feelings mutual
Old 24-07-2014, 17:27   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I guess I'm low life then, because many years ago as a young land locked Soldier, only boat I had was a Jet-ski, couldn't afford much else to be truthful
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 17:44   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's okay. Seems like you have mended your ways. I didn't know until now that you could sink them.