Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-05-2014, 19:55   #31
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: The Taleisin/Pardy lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
If it is that hard to believe that there are those out there with a similar intersts to the Pardey's, then your imagination needs some exercise.....
Its hard for me to imagine someone spending $$$$$$$$$ for a boat like this when the Pardey philosophy has been to do it CHEAP and minimalist way.

Its the antithesis.

Old 19-05-2014, 20:12   #32

Boat: Moccasins and pony

If your net worth was multiplied by 1000, your imagination about these kind of things would be more vivid. People throw money at all kinds of stuff.

I'm with ya, but I don't think that the demographic buying it are gonna be the go cheap go now type.

This is for the trust funder that can buy into a dream.

There are worse things to spend 150k on. Will be interesting to see who ends up buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Its hard for me to imagine someone spending $$$$$$$$$ for a boat like this when the Pardey philosophy has been to do it CHEAP and minimalist way.

Its the antithesis.

Old 19-05-2014, 20:12   #33
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:

Its the antithesis.
Old 19-05-2014, 20:21   #34
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
If your net worth was multiplied by 1000, your imagination about these kind of things would be more vivid. People throw money at all kinds of stuff.

I'm with ya, but I don't think that the demographic buying it are gonna be the go cheap go now type.

This is for the trust funder that can buy into a dream.

There are worse things to spend 150k on. Will be interesting to see who ends up buying it.
No doubt. Someone might splurge, but I doubt they will sail without shoes
Old 19-05-2014, 23:51   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I was wondering if anybody had read it and also AS LONG AS IT'S FUN the biography written by one of their editors about them.
I read Storm Tactics, one of their other books and then As Long As It's Fun.

I've tried not to say so, but reading As Long As It's Fun made me lose all respect for them. I shouldn't have read it. It's the "Shut Up And Sing" phenomenon. It's possible to know too damn much about a celebrity.
Old 25-05-2014, 12:57   #36

Boat: Grand Banks 42

Quote:

Its the antithesis.
This was, of course, the entire point of my original post

We can, of course, imagine a whole lot of different types of buyers, but the hard truth is that she hasn't sold.

It's just really tough to reconcile a $175,000 boat with a simple, gadget-free cruising lifestyle.

On a slightly different subject (which I still think would interest those gravitated to this thread), have gadgets on boats gotten any more reliable over the years? Are we still suffering and bleeding over our refrigeration units as we did decades ago, or has better technology made things work better?

David
Old 25-05-2014, 20:32   #37

The Pardy's were no Luddites. I think I read they decided that an electric windlass was a good safety feature if you had to get the anchor up in a hurry compared to a manual windlass. The engine not so much. Since there would not be much use for it when underway sailing. As chronicled in the Bull Canyon book Larry also used a generator and power tools to help build Taleisin. It was not just a hand tool project only. I think they objectively look at their wants and needs try to make do with what they have and buy just what they need. Not a bad way to go about things IMO.
Old 26-05-2014, 07:13   #38

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
I think I read somewhere that when Wanderer III was last for sale she was sold for well below the asking price to Theis Matzen. The owner knew he had the skills to care for the boat and would keep her cruising. I suspect that if someone came along that would really care for Taleisin and keep her cruising, the Pardeys *might* be willing to let her go for less. Maybe much less. I know they have mentioned Theis' care of Wanderer III as an inspiration to start looking for the next caretaker of Taleisin. As far as cost, it is part fame part build quality. There are very few builds of this quality for sale. Also, I don't believe they're in any hurry to sell her. In the end, there is only one person's opinion on price that matters: the one who makes an offer that is accepted.
Old 26-05-2014, 07:22   #39

Boat: Catalina 28

I think it would be about buying a piece of history and a boat that probably could not be reproduced today.
Old 26-05-2014, 07:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkahuna View Post
I think it would be about buying a piece of history and a boat that probably could not be reproduced today.
Well not only that but, it was built by a guy who was going to sail it around the world along with his wife. There has got to be a lot more craftsmanship built into Taliesin than a boat say built by guys in boatyard waiting for the five o'clock whistle. Sure there are good workers at a lot of boatyards. But, they are not going to sail the boats they build like Pardy was.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: