Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 16:18   #1

Boat: Adams 40
Technology which may be of interest.

I used to imagine, years ago, that it would be useful in many situations both inshore and offshore, to be able to see just that much further than eyes on deck.
My early thoughts were radio controlled model aircraft with a cheap camera and some add-ons. Of course the issue was about retrieval etc., and though some more recent drone developments have completely changed the possibilities, this one is quite something else:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4vGcH0Bk3hg?rel=0

The unit goes by the name of Lily, and for unknown anchorages and other such occasions, it might interest some folk. Price circa USD 700.
Cheers,
Terry
TranceNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:49   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Technology which may be of interest.

I wasn't expecting a decent semi autonomous drone option suited to the cruising sailor to be available in 2016.

If they can make it fully autonomous with dipping sonar and near real time cartography I'm ready to buy. Almost.

The current crop of remote controlled drones are primarily toys. Interesting but not particularly useful.

I wasnt expecting it to be waterproof. That and seeing old people droning was unexpected.

If grandma can use it then it must be good.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:53   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

But radio net this morning guy days he has found a drone under his boat.

In 10 feet of water.

Better take flying lessons unless you wanna lose $700...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 17:06   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. These things will redefine how we navigate coral waters, shallows, etc.

Just think of it a follow me drone well to windward will warn you of incoming squalls in the middle of a pitch black rainy night ... if only you discover how to power one!

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:32   #5

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

It apparently has a release date of Feb, with a ."pre-release" price of $499 as opposed to the retail of (take a deep breath) $999.

Love my new SKCAM, even if it doesn't fly....yet!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:32   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Make that SJCAM.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I had to attend a class to renew my FAA mechanics inspectors certificate last week and "drones" came up. If it weighs more than .55 lbs, but less than 55 lbs, you now have to register it if in the US. I think above 55 lbs is a remotely piloted vehicle, not a "drone"
If interested this is the website
https://www.faa.gov/uas/

As of Dec. 21, 2015, the Federal Aviation Administration will require all owners of model aircraft, small unmanned aircraft or drones, or other RC aircraft weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds to register online before taking to the skies.

The online registration system will require drone owners 13 years and older to submit their name, email and home address to receive a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership. This will include a unique identification number owners must affix to any drone they own and operate exclusively for recreation.

To encourage users tor register quickly, registration is free for the first 30 days but will cost $5 after Jan. 20, 2016.

Anyone who purchases a small UAS on or after Dec. 21, 2015, must register before flying outdoors. Small UAS owners who have operated their aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to Dec. 21, 2015, will have until Feb. 19, 2016 to register.

Registration will be valid for three years. Once registered, owners will be able to access the registration website to update the information provided to register the aircraft as well as cancel registration as circumstances require (e.g., aircraft destruction, transfer, sale, change in owner eligibility to register).

Failure to register an aircraft can result in civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties for failure to register can include fines of up to $250,000 under 18 U.S.C. 3571 and/or imprisonment up to three years.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Apparently all the model airplanes I have been flying for the last 30 or 40 years, are now "drones".
By registering, they now have a way they can "touch" you, as you have to click on you agree to several things when you register, of course don't agree, and you can't register, and if you fly, you do so illegally. Catch 22.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07   #9

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Tethered blimps are under-appreciated. Except when it is windy, which is also a problem with drones I imagine.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:22   #10

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceNT View Post
I used to imagine, years ago, that it would be useful in many situations both inshore and offshore, to be able to see just that much further than eyes on deck.
My early thoughts were radio controlled model aircraft with a cheap camera and some add-ons. Of course the issue was about retrieval etc., and though some more recent drone developments have completely changed the possibilities, this one is quite something else:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4vGcH0Bk3hg?rel=0

The unit goes by the name of Lily, and for unknown anchorages and other such occasions, it might interest some folk. Price circa USD 700.
Cheers,
Terry
Understand your attraction to the concept of the Lilly. Suggest you do a google search on Lilly delay, also on crowdsource and success. Most crowdsourced products fail.

As for FAA registration keep in mind that that is only for the US. Also keep in mind that the FAA will not likely be around any reefs your boat is close to.

Here is a link to the multirotor platform I use. Not cheap but also not vapor ware like the Lily is.

Another option is a ROV instead of a flying platform. Here is a crowd sourced one I bought into. If you spend any time checking out the folks behind the Trident they have a real history of producing ROVs that work.

OpenROV | Underwater Exploration Robots

Not saying there are not other options, just that these two are the best bang for the buck I could find. If anyone has better options they can post I will switch in a New York minute.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Apparently all the model airplanes I have been flying for the last 30 or 40 years, are now "drones".
By registering, they now have a way they can "touch" you, as you have to click on you agree to several things when you register, of course don't agree, and you can't register, and if you fly, you do so illegally. Catch 22.
Sorry to say FAA registration seems to be a reality. I have joined a CBO which the FAA gives something of a break compared to everyone else.

CBO link
Old 12-01-2016, 08:54   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

As to the Lilly it may not be the One. Check out this well done review http://youtu.be/XTyGsXhkoUY
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:04   #13

Boat: TBC

I have a Splashdrone which was bought as a gift. Its a waterproof drone able to take off and land on water. It has a waterproof camera gymbal slung underneath like most drones which when the drone lands on water puts the camera underwater which is great for watersports & marine use.
The big problem is that it really needs two people to operate it, one for the flight and the other to operate the camera.
There's no way I could handle a boat and fly this at the same time which is what I'd have to do.
The Splashdrone operating and instruction manuals are the worst I've ever seen and the support/backup has been non existant.

The lilly (if they ever get the bugs ironed out) is a bit more autonomous.
The camera on this drone is built into the housing so it will not provide such a steady camera platform as the Splashdrone. I don't know which way the camera would be pointing when it lands on the water.

I'm trying to figure out a camera mount which could be hauled up the mast or be fitted permanently up there. Its obviously going to need some kind of gymbal system to stay level and it seems the only way to get a mechanical gymbal is to make one. I have a few ideas but if anyone has suggestions the more the merrier!
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilBrown View Post
I have a Splashdrone

SNIP
I have one as well. Sad to say I have had problems with it. The battery and wires from the battery are very close to the electronics that control it making it drift and somewhat hard to fly. I may put some copper foil around the wires to see if this helps. If you look at the inside of the Splashdrone (and the Mariner which is basically the first generation Splashdrone) there is very little room. Things can get hot in addition to electrical interference. The inside of the QuadH2o and HexH2o are much bigger in addition to having a fan and head sink fins.

One reason I like the inspire is how easy it is to fly and take pix/vids at the same time. Also recommend you get some type of simulator to play on before putting the real thing in the air.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:33   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...As of Dec. 21, 2015, the Federal Aviation Administration will require all owners of model aircraft, small unmanned aircraft or drones, or other RC aircraft weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds to register online before taking to the skies...
More freedoms lost to bigger government.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote