Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 12:27   #31

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Taking classes in January, should I bareboat in March?

Definitely a vote for a hired captain here.

Being the skipper doesn't mean knowing enough to get from one place to another. It means knowing what to do whatever goes wrong, and being in control of all the situations that might possibly happen. You cannot do that from an on-shore course. Learning from an experienced skipper is the key -- you can ask him why he makes certain decisions, ask him what he would do if such-and-such were to happen...

Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:04   #32

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
Thanks for the advice all. We have booked a boat out of Tortola and will use a friend as captain who has quite a bit of blue water experience.

May shoot for Abacos this summer with my brother and his family as a true bareboat.

Sounds like a really good plan. You’d probably be ok by yourself in the BVI’s but there’s a lot of situational stuff that’s not in the books that you’ll be exposed to by having an experienced blue water sailor onboard. This will be a great opportunity for you to practice the skills you’ve learned in your classes and also to pick your captains brain. And since he’s a friend of yours, it won’t seem uncomfortable having him onboard like having a stranger might.

If you go to the Abacos, there’s a hazard involved if you try to go ‘outside’ to the deep water beyond the reef. The breaks in the reef are pretty narrow and there can be large standing waves when conditions are right. They call it a ‘rage’ out there. But info about them is easily available from the local radio net that you can listen to each morning. If you’re in a shallow draft cat and don’t try to go outside the reef when the waves are up, the Abacos are a very pleasant place to sail. Have fun!

jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:29   #33

Boat: MacGregor 26

Cycling back around to this thread. We leave in two weeks. I can’t wait. Really need to leave soon because I keep buying stuff for it

After our week aboard i’d Feel comfortable in BVIs as true bareboater. My biggest fear will be coming back to the slip I think.

We have a great itinerary laid out IMO. It will be a good starting place to hit the highlights of the area and then future trips hit some of the smaller gems along the way.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
Cycling back around to this thread. We leave in two weeks. I can’t wait. Really need to leave soon because I keep buying stuff for it

After our week aboard i’d Feel comfortable in BVIs as true bareboater. My biggest fear will be coming back to the slip I think.

We have a great itinerary laid out IMO. It will be a good starting place to hit the highlights of the area and then future trips hit some of the smaller gems along the way.
Obviously, it is up to the individual but most people find they are most happy if they bring as little as possible to sail in the Caribbean. All you really need is a swim suit, a couple of tee shirts, a pair of shorts, sandals, toothbrush, sun tan loition, maybe a pair of pants, a nicer shirt than a tee shirt, and actual shoes, etc. if you think you will go out to dinner where that is required. Plus a lap top or Ipad if you think you need it for navigation, weather, etc. If not on board(they should be), you might want to bring a good flashlight, binoculars, clothes pins(to attached towels, etc to life lines to dry. I always bring assorted spices, etc in small plastic bags including wasbi, ginger, bamboo roller, and a very, sharp knife that fits in a sheath on my belt to make sushi/ sashimi.

The knife is good to have on your belt if you need to cut a line in an emergency and of course for to make sushi/sashimi.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 15:05   #35

Boat: Sailing club & Chartering for the time being.

Wishing a great time. I hope it is all you hope and more. Exciting times
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 17:29   #36

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Hossier

Not sure what bare boat company that you are with, but most of them do NOT want you bringing the vessel into the base slip. You give them a call, and they will send dock staff out to bring your vessel into the slip.

By the time you return, you should have lots of practice picking up mooriings and maneuvering next to other vessels.

You might practice close quarters maneuvering, under power, with lots of room .

Get comfortable with your boat and its characteristics before picking up your first mooring . Practice your close quarters maneuvering away from other vessels.

Use outside mooring balls, turn the vessel in 360's, using the engine . gears to pivot around , staying in the same position.

Get comfortable, and confident.

Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, bareboat, boat, classes