Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 21:53   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Tacking Jib with Inner forestay

Hi,

Our boat has a inner forestay, which makes taking with the Jib a bit of a hit and miss affair, as sometimes the sheet ropes dont pull the clew up forward and around the forestay.

Are there any tricks to this?

Cheers

Al
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 22:12   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Tacking Jib with Inner forestay

Furl it first, usually. A slippery finish to the uv strip on the inner sail if there is one can help, as can using soft shackles rather than bowlines on the sheets. What exactly is it that gets stuck?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 22:31   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Yes, as Tillsbury wrote, tacking an overlapping jib is easier if a staysail is flying on the forestay. That allows the overlapping jib to slide over the staysail.

If the forestay is bare, then the attachment of the jib sheets can be critical.

And in the end, if you often tack with the forestay bare, then furling before tacking may be needed. Or installing a Highfield lever so you can move the forestay out of the way.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:30   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

I have a similar problem on mine. I've found that the only way for me to do it is to pull the clew forward until it hangs up on the inner fore stay and leave it there for a moment. When the boat comes around, the wind will eventually push the sail through the gap. On other similar boats, I've seen a solution that I might try one day. Affix a small rope or strong bungee cord to the mast about 6' or so off the deck, run it around the inner fore stay and back to the mast. When the sail tacks, it can't go further than the bungee thus making it easier to get through the gap. Hope this makes sense.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:02   #5
cruiser

A soft shackle attaching the sheet along with a partial furl makes it much easier. A bowline type knot on the sheet attaching to the sail tends to get hung up.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:18   #6

Boat: Oyster 49

We have a cutter rig. We mostly sail with 2 of us. When tacking the yankee when the staysail is not out it is a choice of deploying the staysail or putting a reef in the yankee. The choice depends mainly on wind strength. Light wind - deploy the staysail and sheet it in hard for the tack. Stronger wind, when I do not want even more sail out, one reef in the yankee is all that is needed to get it to tack.
If you have lots of crew, one can be deployed to run the clew forward with the sheet as you tack and it will then go through the slot
TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A soft shackle attaching the sheet .
Assuming the sheet doesn't have an eye, how do you attach the soft shackle to it?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:33   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Assuming the sheet doesn't have an eye, how do you attach the soft shackle to it?
The sheet has an eye splice on the end.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:54   #9

Thanks Kenomac. My sheets need replacing in the not-too-distant future anyway so I might try it with an eye and soft shackle. My only concern would be the shackle coming loose if and when the sheet flogs. Is this a valid concern?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:53   #10

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Thanks Kenomac. My sheets need replacing in the not-too-distant future anyway so I might try it with an eye and soft shackle. My only concern would be the shackle coming loose if and when the sheet flogs. Is this a valid concern?

It hasn’t been for me
Old 04-01-2019, 08:32   #11

If you are replacing the sheet, do not use a soft shackle, simply "luggage tag" the sheet on the clew (you need a single sheet, twice as long, rather than two sheets). That has the minimal windage possible and the minimal probability of getting caught. It does make a difference.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:56   #12

Boat: Valiant 40, SOLD

What Alan Mighty and FabioC said. Sail as a Cutter, backwind the staysail, genoa/jib should slide around the staysail, "luggage tag" the jib sheet. Ours never hangs up on the inner forestay. If not sailing as a cutter, and you don't have a roller furling staysail, then the Highfield Lever route.
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:56   #13

Location: Boat is currently at a marina in Point Richmond, CA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'

I have the same problem, but have a removable inner forestay that attaches to a lifeline on the side of the boat when I'm not using the staysail. Makes things a lot easier. When it's in use, I partially furl the headsail first.
jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:32   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Removable inner forestay is the way to go. I have used something like this:

https://www.cruisingworld.com/forestay-solutions

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:35   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I cowhitch the jib sheets to the clew.

I mark the center of the sheet line to facilitate attachment and observe if the cowhitch ever slips— and it hasn't so far... [20 years and counting with this approach.]

My plan has always been to temporarily seize the sheetlines right behind the cowhitch if I ever observed slippage [e.g., nylon zipties, seizing twine, etc.] but I have never found it necessary. Perhaps partially because we switch to [balance better with] the staysail once the wind exceeds ~20-25 knots depending...

I use this approach on our staysail as well.

The trade-offs include:
  • No quick disconnect [knife in an emergency- then back to bowlines with 2 sheets...]
  • A very long jib sheet to deal with when removed from the sail. [I flake it after halving the line, so the center is first off the flake for quick affixing to the sail...]

The inner forestay is removable [Highfield lever] on our ketch rig, but unless it is mild weather, we leave it in place.

Since you mentioned you are buying new jib sheets soon, this would be a cost-free experiment for you to try if you start out with one long sheet line...

Cheers! Bill

PS: A short length of Dyneema Chafe Sleeve at the knot significantly reduces chafe risk.

Tags
jib