Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59   #46

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Tacking Jib with Inner forestay

Which method works bests depends on the configuration, gap between sails, how high the jib is cut etc. I also fly a goaster from the boom which has a large overlap and fairly short gap to go through. About the only way to get that sail to tack would be to walk it thorough. Sails are all hanked so furling is not an option.
The solution I have come up with but not tried yet is to run a light line from the clew through a pulley at the bow and back to the cockpit. Not sure if it will need a line both sides but that may be simpler anyway as each line can be routed down the stations so as not to clutter the deck. To tack you would pull the clew forward as you go through the wind then drop it down the lee side once through the wind. Even with a furler this may be worth looking at. Once the wind gets up I would be down to a No2 jib which has no problems due to the shorter foot so this is only for light/mod winds

roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:15   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Thanks for all the great replies.

A bit more information - we do have a furler on the inner forestay.

Flying the inner staysail is a good idea.

Your diagram helps alot - this is my take on it attached. I have also read to tack late and tack fast. I know what a fast tack means, but what does the "late" bit mean?

And it looks like dont let the sheet go until the bow has gone through the wind and the sail filled?
Yeah, you are walking a tightrope for sure. It's a timing thing with when you turn, the rate of turn and release time. If memory serves you turn smooth and if you start the sheet release just as the luff starts to flop, you can get it through. If the timing is late, then (as shown) the jib may fill behind the inner stay as well.
Also, my headsails were often a high cut jib like shown in my avatar, about 115 -120%

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:17   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Which method works bests depends on the configuration, gap between sails, how high the jib is cut etc. I also fly a goaster from the boom which has a large overlap and fairly short gap to go through. About the only way to get that sail to tack would be to walk it thorough. Sails are all hanked so furling is not an option.
The solution I have come up with but not tried yet is to run a light line from the clew through a pulley at the bow and back to the cockpit. Not sure if it will need a line both sides but that may be simpler anyway as each line can be routed down the stations so as not to clutter the deck. To tack you would pull the clew forward as you go through the wind then drop it down the lee side once through the wind. Even with a furler this may be worth looking at. Once the wind gets up I would be down to a No2 jib which has no problems due to the shorter foot so this is only for light/mod winds
Interesting idea, but it will require some tinkering... One issue I can see is that, at least with sails that have the clew cut high, the line to the forward block would be at an angle and may not be able to bring the clew forward enough...

Certainly worth a try, though. Let us know if you make it work, I, for one, am curious to know.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:41   #49

Boat: C-Deuce Ketch 55ft

I had a boat with the same issue. We solved it by simply sliding a stainless ring over both sheets and up to the clew. This has the same effect as the above solutions such as splicing a line between the sheets or a soft shackle, but is quicker to do, more durable and has even less tendency to snag.
Rolling Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:42   #50

We used a hyfield lever on our inner forestay. That way when we weren't using the staysail we could quickly uncouple the inner stay, and then tacking is a breeze.
Glissade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:43   #51

Spelled Highfield lever........
Glissade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:22   #52

Boat: Hans Christian, 48T, 48'

I have a cutter. The jib fills behind the inner stay unless the staysail is out. Tack jib first so staysail prevents jib from filling behind inner stay.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:28   #53

Boat: Beneteau 49 & Amel 50 getting built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
Can anyone explain / show me a dedicated sheet "Luggage tag" I am not sure how to pull this off. Is it a Brummel type splice?
No Dyneema here, just good old fashioned yacht braid.
thanks
I believe they are referring to this picture, which was posted by Cheechako.

boom23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:52   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I have tried different approaches, and tacking with an inner staysail that has it's sheets led aft to the cockpit area is good because you don't need to leave the cockpit to come about (but you may enjoy the luxury of a willing crew who would unsnag the sheet if it fouls).. this method leaves the foredeck uncluttered....

The other option, which I have gone back to, is a self tacking boom attached on the foredeck and the inner staysail outhaul should have a block at the opposite end where you can flatten or set the sail depending on what point of sail you are on, and then the same sheet is fed through a block on a horse or track directly below, and belayed on a cleat back up on the boom... this way the desired outhaul tension will be achieved, and the sail will tack back and forth as you come about or jibe....pros and cons...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:55   #55

A variation of attaching a small block to the forestay at the deck and a line to the jib clew is something that is called a tack line. Install an inner clew about 2/3 back on the jib foot. Attach a single line to that inner clew and through the tack block. Pull the line when tacking and the jib will "accordion" through the slot. This method seems to work more effectively that the clew setup because one still has pressure on the jib. I have also seen a series of three inner clews installed with the tack line weaving in and out to control the accordion effect even more. There is no requirement to secure the tack line - Just pull in to tack and let go when the jib slides through. You only need one line to accomplish this.
CaptMDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:21   #56

Boat: Hurley 30/90

Hi I tried to contact the email address which was given in the article about the Highfield lever on the Cruising World site but it wasn't recognised ? Has Gerry changed his email address?
if so would it be possible to give me the new one please..
Cheers Philip
Xeitosaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 13:03   #57

Boat: Hurley 30/90

Hi All ,sorry I should have introduced myself before asking for some help. I am a UK sailor with a Hurley 30/90 which has a baby stay so could be maybe used as a cutter rig?
I have a similar problem with an inner fore stay as the baby stay does restrict the free flow of the 135% Genoa when tacking.
I currently use soft shackle as an alternative to bowlines and found them better with two eye splices to the sheets.
It is of interst to me thought of the idea to move the babystay out of the way until such times as needed ,hense my interst tin the newly developed highfield lever mentioned in post 14.
the previous owner had a small regular second jib I assume he used to fly from the Baby Stay but on enquiries to a UK sail maker ,he suggested I would need running backstays to fly it safely so I have never flown it.
I do have a one piece vertical plastic roller section fitted to the Baby Stay which does allow the sail to roll around it when tacking, but like others have said its best to let the wind fill the sail and tack late through the wind, allowing the wind to fill the sail and displace the sail on the other tack.
This is only my second post and hope it to be one of many.
Xeitosaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 14:02   #58

Boat: Valiant 40

I too have eye-spliced sheets secured to the clew with a soft shackle, and it works well.

I single-hand my boat almost entirely and so am intimately familiar with getting my yankee through the slot. Whenever I'm going to windward I usually have the staysail up, except maybe on short sails, and leaving it backwinded through the tack makes the maneuver straightforward.

When the staysail is not being flown, I've found that two things help getting the clew through the slot; timing, and paying attention to the lazy sheet. Getting a jump on sheeting in helps as when the bow passes through the wind if the clew is close to the inner forestay the sail with flow through and pull the clew clear. Sometimes it's just eyeing it and knowing when to pull and when not to, based on how it's moving and/or hung up. Sometimes a little tension on the lazy sheet helps to keep everything moving.
Old 11-01-2019, 16:27   #59

Backwind the jib. Wait to release until main boom begins to move.
sailores35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 16:56   #60

Hi
I have just recently gone down this path after years of using bowlines on the staysail on our 38 ft cutter

I came across a alpine butterfly hitch on iTunes
https://youtu.be/KE01A1se8Zc

The result is a secure hitch won’t slip small in size and easy to undo .

I hope it works for u
Cheers

Antipodean2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib