Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 03:30   #1

Boat: scrivener.Supersonic,28ft Midas Touch
Symetrical Spinnaker

thanks to all who have replied to my post about dispensing with the spinnaker pole. Seems like most argue for it most assuredly to be able to tack and so forth . but i'm talking about purely running down wind or close enough too that course. the sail wants to fly when I take it up on deck to look at it, so Idon't think Ill have trouble setting the thing and seem to have seen yachts pictured with nothing but a bloody big spinnaker set ..no pole no nothi'n so whats the go?
langlandsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 05:10   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
My experance is from years of racing small boats, 22 to 30 foot, and flying without a pole was never a problem, and doing it singlehanded..
Using the pole allows you to trim the sail over the boat as its attached.. free flying the sail without the pole, its easier to trim the boat under the sail.. let the sail fly and stear the boat under the sail..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 05:30   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
i'm talking about purely running down wind or close enough too that course. the sail wants to fly when I take it up on deck to look at it, so Idon't think Ill have trouble setting the thing and seem to have seen yachts pictured with nothing but a bloody big spinnaker set ..no pole no nothi'n so whats the go?
Langlandsr---

If you look at the photos of yachts apparently "running off" with the spinnakers a'blow with no pole, you will generally find two things. That said spinnakers are, in fact, assymetric; and, that the mainsails are not squared away (with respect to the yacht or the course steared) but are trimmed in. If so, the yachts are not running dead down wind. In fact, I'd wager that for the most part you are seeing photo's of yachts sailing no lower than about 160 to 165.

Poles are used with symetric spinnakers for a couple of reasons. To get the tack and luff of the sail into clear air (i.e. away from the turbulance caused by mast, rigging et al and the blanketing effect of the main); to give the luff of the sail an angle of attack on the apparent wind (Hauled to the side of the yacht, the sail is seeing a "reaching wind"); and, to spread the foot of the sail (i.e. to separate the tack and the clue--in the same manner a whisker pole does with at standard jib when running off), which shapes the sail to generate lift. It is when reaching (i.e. at roughly 55º to 120º apparent) that one does not necessarily need a pole with a symetrical. The further off, however the more the pole becomes necessary. That holds even with assymetrical spinnakers for the most part.

It is interesting to note that sailing "dead down wind" most often does not give one the best VMG. Heading up by 15º or so from DDW will increase ones distance sailed by about 7%; but, can increase one's VMG by as much as 25% for a reasonable advantage. Moreover, most monohull yachts roll a good deal when sailed DDW as the stabilizing influence of the wind on the rig is foresaken. Prolonged rolling is exhausting at best and dangerous at worst.

In the final analysis, you will really have to just take the yacht out and give it a go to understand the foregoing. Doing so in reasonably light air can't hurt and will help. If the sail gets out of control just let the sheet run and the sail stream out in front of the yacht. You can recover by pulling it down by gathering in the foot from the tack while easing the halyard. In no case "blow the halyard" or you'll end up "shrimping"--i.e. running over the sail and dragging it through the water (which has been the ruin of many sails) nor let both the sheet and the tack line get away from you, in which case you'll really learn why the sail is often referred to as a kite! Frankly, none of this is rocket science. Just give it a go,

Good luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 06:57   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
the pole doesn't help the spinnaker fly--it does that of its own accord. rather, the pole helps control where the chute flies. losing that would be to lose an important control.
Old 29-06-2010, 14:14   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Langlandsr---

I just re-read my own post and realized I goofed up part of the post when pasting it over from word...

Quote:
If the sail gets out of control just let the sheet run and the sail stream out in front of the yacht. You can recover by pulling it down by gathering in the foot from the tack while easing the halyard.
Should have read:

"If the sail gets out of control just let the sheet run and the sail stream out in front of the yacht. You can recover it by pulling the snuffer down and gathering it in along the foot of the sail from near the tack while easing the halyard."

Hopefully the foregoing makes more sense...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 22:15   #6

Boat: scrivener.Supersonic,28ft Midas Touch
pirate flying the spinnaker

your post gave me a clear and concise insight into the vagaries of the spinnaker and I so appreciate your input. if your ever in Jervis Bay .new south wales ...I'd love to buy you a beer...thanks mate
langlandsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker