Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 01:23   #1

Boat: Westerly 43
Surviving a monster storm

The lovely couple from SV Sarean just posted a video of them riding out Tropical Cyclone Debbie which smashed the Whitsunday region a few months ago. This storm was an extremely slow moving monster. These brave people show just how important good preparation and mangroves are to surviving such a storm.

Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 05:33   #2

Re: Surviving a monster storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
These brave people show just how important good preparation and mangroves are to surviving such a storm.
Meh. Frankly I am unimpressed with their preparation other than their move to get into the mangroves well in advance of the storm's arrival. I don't know what the storm track was in relation to their position but early on nobody does so I think it best to plan for a worst case direct hit of one is headed your way.

They left the roller furling headsail still up. Mainsail on the boom with the sail cover not lashed down. Spray hood and Bimini with full enclosure still up. Inflatable dinghy on davits with the outboard motor in place.

Really, I wouldn't recommend anyone look to these people as an example of how to prepare for a storm and the fact that they made it through without damage only suggests to me that the conditions weren't that bad. I believe at some point the woman says the wind speed is 58 knots, hardly a strong gale. Big whoop. To me it looks like they dodged a bullet.

What do I know? Direct hits from hurricanes Sandy and Matthew as well as a couple TS. No problems but I strip the deck including taking the boom off the mast and the BBQ off the stern pulpit. Meanwhile neighboring boats were lifted off jack stands or sunk while docks were torn apart and whole marinas erased.

Also couldn't help but notice they have a CQR as their bower anchor so take that for what you will...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	150499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	150500  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 05:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Also couldn't help but notice they have a CQR as their bower anchor
Oh well that's the final straw, definitely can't trust them.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 05:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Oh well that's the final straw, definitely can't trust them.

Pete
I admit it, I am prejudiced.

When I see someone with an +80 year old anchor design, I judge them. I judge them as someone who either DOESN'T KNOW ANY BETTER and can't be bothered to inform themselves or as someone who is TOO CHEAP to spend a teeny tiny fraction of their boats value on something everyone can agree is an essential piece of safety gear.

It's true I am a ground-tackleist. If you don't like that about me I am okay with that.
Old 23-06-2017, 05:59   #5

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Ground tackle-elitist?
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 06:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Ground tackle-elitist?
Nobody judges people by the kind of boat they have and or how they have it equipped?

I sure do. But I am also the kind of guy who the first thing I notice about someone is the kind of shoes they wear. You can tell a lot about someone based on the kind of shoes they wear.
Old 23-06-2017, 06:10   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I admit it, I am prejudiced.
So is the majority of the forum given some of the anchoring threads we have had

But know you mention shoes, they weren't brown shoes were they?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 06:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

AND, back to the OP.

I have to agree with Delancey on (at least) one point. If an actual "monster" storm is coming, first thing you do is clear the topsides of anything and everything that adds to windage. That includes all sails, dinghy, biminis, etc.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 06:37   #9

Boat: Currently in between

I admit I was very surprised to see her shooting video from the cockpit with the weather curtains up. I couldn't believe they held so I must agree it wasn't as bad where they were as it could have been.

Or, does anyone think the Mangroves provided that much protection from surface winds?
Old 23-06-2017, 06:40   #10

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Quote:
Nobody judges people by the kind of boat they have and or how they have it equipped?

I sure do. But I am also the kind of guy who the first thing I notice about someone is the kind of shoes they wear. You can tell a lot about someone based on the kind of shoes they wear.
I also agree this was not an adequate prep for a large storm
Not to be a contrarian.
Sometimes just because it is new does not mean the old will not surfice.

Delancey : So what kinda shoes do you wear?
Old 23-06-2017, 06:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
So what kinda shoes do you wear?
I haven't worn shoes in six months.
Old 23-06-2017, 07:05   #12

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Meh. Frankly I am unimpressed with their preparation other than their move to get into the mangroves well in advance of the storm's arrival. I don't know what the storm track was in relation to their position but early on nobody does so I think it best to plan for a worst case direct hit of one is headed your way.

They left the roller furling headsail still up. Mainsail on the boom with the sail cover not lashed down. Spray hood and Bimini with full enclosure still up. Inflatable dinghy on davits with the outboard motor in place.

Really, I wouldn't recommend anyone look to these people as an example of how to prepare for a storm and the fact that they made it through without damage only suggests to me that the conditions weren't that bad. I believe at some point the woman says the wind speed is 58 knots, hardly a strong gale. Big whoop. To me it looks like they dodged a bullet.

What do I know? Direct hits from hurricanes Sandy and Matthew as well as a couple TS. No problems but I strip the deck including taking the boom off the mast and the BBQ off the stern pulpit. Meanwhile neighboring boats were lifted off jack stands or sunk while docks were torn apart and whole marinas erased.

Also couldn't help but notice they have a CQR as their bower anchor so take that for what you will...
Is evident to me that securing with the spider web in the mangroves is a lot more effective than the other possible measures. Though, I admit, the dink on the davits bothered me a lot too. I wondered if there was a reason it was left there... rapid last-ditch escape maybe?

Also the video shows what happens when you leave the boat in harbor or at the dock. Stripping all the sails with the best anchor on the planet would not have saved you.

Bottom Line, my takeaway ... head for the mangroves! And good job to the skipper and crew.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 08:10   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

I met a bloke a few weeks ago who had just completed a circumnavigation... maybe his 5th or 6th.

He was wearing a seaboot on one foot and a lace up boot on the other..

You thoughts on this one would be appreciated.. and no I am not making this up....
Old 23-06-2017, 09:29   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
The lovely couple from SV Sarean just posted a video of them riding out Tropical Cyclone Debbie which smashed the Whitsunday region a few months ago. This storm was an extremely slow moving monster. These brave people show just how important good preparation and mangroves are to surviving such a storm.

Very informative and matches (at length) my single experience with a hurricane...a far-weaker, faster-moving one! But they sound similar.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:31   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Ground tackle-elitist?
Well, you are a theologian of tackle, Panope...I've watched your sermons extensively!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote