Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 20:26   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Supper and poor docking procedure

Over Labor Day weekend my wife and I had supper at a marina. Our table was right on the water where we could see boats coming up to the fuel dock.

It was great entertainment.

The first boat, a Rinker of about 35' length, came up to the wrong side of the fuel dock. Dockhands instructed the helmsman to come to the other side. He tried, missed, and two dockhands grabbed the rails and manhandled the boat along side.

Next boat, a pontoon boat, sent crew with a dockline to take a great flying leap to the dock while it was still 2' away. With a heave, ho, and if you can't tie knots, tie lots, the vessel was made fast (more or less).

The next arrival, all I can say is that I hope for their sake they were under the influence, because nobody their age should dock like that sober.

I really hope it's better everywhere else. We all have bad days trying to make a landing, but aside from commercial vessels, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen a vessel come alongside under full control and without people hauling on lines and rails.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 21:14   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Supper and poor docking procedure

In my experience when I perfectly nail a really difficult docking no one is anywhere near. When I lay the boat up sideways after 3 poorly executed tries, the entire dock committee is viewing.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:41   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I once made a perfect docking, in a heavy cross wind in a very crowded marina, with (seemingly) everyone watching, expecting a crash.

Once.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:09   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

I to chuckle when seeing dockings. Especially funny o me are watching the you tubers dock. It seems like none of them have ever heard of a spring line.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:16   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you feel that you have been entertained, it is considered terribly rude of you to neither throw money nor applaud. One or the other, you need to express your appreciation.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:27   #6

This is how I do it.

Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:30   #7

Everyone has to begin somewhere. Even experienced boaters have a bad day or get distracted. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the show. I just don't ridicule people in an effort to make me feel better about myself.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:48   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I often single hand and find that I'm pretty good at docking.

However, when there is "help" things usually go sideways.

Then I had an epiphany.

I was trying to use my normal docking procedure when there was help. What I needed to do was to come up with another procedure that would best use the "help".

I still do not have the alternate procedure fully developed. But, docking with help is a lot less entertaining now.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:01   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Just needs a bit of practise:

Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:46   #10

While we all have better and worse docking days, holiday weekends can be a real show near us. Alcohol is often a factor, but often it is people not taking the time to learn anything about the how their boat handles or sharing with the passengers what to and what not to do. I try to help anyone that is willing to learn and is trying their best. Its the ones that do not try or care that really scare me.

The good thing is you can learn from everyone's example. Some teach us what to do and others what not to do.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 14:07   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Over Labor Day weekend my wife and I had supper at a marina. Our table was right on the water where we could see boats coming up to the fuel dock.

It was great entertainment.

The first boat, a Rinker of about 35' length, came up to the wrong side of the fuel dock. Dockhands instructed the helmsman to come to the other side. He tried, missed, and two dockhands grabbed the rails and manhandled the boat along side.

Next boat, a pontoon boat, sent crew with a dockline to take a great flying leap to the dock while it was still 2' away. With a heave, ho, and if you can't tie knots, tie lots, the vessel was made fast (more or less).

The next arrival, all I can say is that I hope for their sake they were under the influence, because nobody their age should dock like that sober.

I really hope it's better everywhere else. We all have bad days trying to make a landing, but aside from commercial vessels, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen a vessel come alongside under full control and without people hauling on lines and rails.
nothing better than a good harbour show - I just open another can of beer and sit back and watch - the slip rental is frequently cheaper than going to the movies!

But remember - the best skippers are the ones sitting in the bar on the dock with a beer in their hands

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 14:22   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

No one around here uses spring lines. Ever. It isn't done. It is widely believed that using a spring line will pull the dock apart or pull the cleats off the boat.

The standard docking procedure is to get close to the dock, and then muscle the boat in. People try this with boats up to 30' or more.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 14:48   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I don't know... I know a lot of people that make it look pretty darn easy.
Old 06-09-2018, 15:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
In my experience when I perfectly nail a really difficult docking no one is anywhere near. When I lay the boat up sideways after 3 poorly executed tries, the entire dock committee is viewing.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 15:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
....I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen a vessel come alongside under full control and without people hauling on lines and rails.
Certainly there are lots of bad ways to use lines to get a boat alongside, but don't discount the use of lines as part of a good, controlled docking. When I was teaching boat handling, one of the things I struggled with was getting people to understand that using lines to warp a boat around at the dock was not "cheating" but can be the pinnacle of good seamanship.

Nothing helps a boat come alongside in a safe and controlled manner better than a properly placed and handled spring line.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking