Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 21:22   #16

Boat: Trismus 37
Sounds great, I am on a learning curve with bars, have been in and out over the Kaipara one, is was easy 1 metre swell, out was exciting with 2 metre swell and what are locally called sweepers coming at you in 3's every 4 to 5 minutes, my wife called it the washing machine. Won't be heading South till the spring though.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 21:27   #17

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Sounds good. Our bar is a pussy compared to the others around NZ. Most the time it is just a shallow area you motor over. Never really a problem.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 22:09   #18

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
"The only thing we have to fear......is fear its'self"
Was that Rooservelt???
Duuuuuude! That was totally Ozzy Ozborne...Duh! Who's this rosefelt guy anyway?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 00:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hmmmm, le'me see, it was a guy that sounded like he was old with a shakey voice.....yeah maybe it was Ozy :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Alan was referring to the 32nd President of the United States, Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) .

Roosevelt’s first inaugural address outlined in broad terms how he hoped to govern and reminded Americans that the nation’s “common difficulties” concerned “only material things.”

Inaugural Speech of Franklin Delano Roosevelt (March 4th, 1933)
”I am certain that my fellow Americans expect that on my induction into the Presidency I will address them with a candor and a decision which the present situation of our people impel. This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today. This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days ...”
Goto: FDR First Inaugural

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08   #21

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Sounded like Alan was describing our Prime Minister, Helen Clarke.....but I am sure you are right.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51   #22

Boat: Alberg 37
Buzzards Bay is a little rough especially coming out of the canal. Once you get past Scraggy Neck it is usually a little better. Often the mainland side is a little smoother, because you can get out of the canal current. If you can hit it early the wind is usually a little lighter.(before 11:00)
kushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 16:25   #23

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskadog
If you can hold your speed down to hull speed as sail boats have to do, then you can probably go through some pretty high seas if the waves are not spaced too closely. Most Sea Ray captains/owners I know had rather sit in the marina until seas are relatively flat---say, less than 3 feet and then go like hell to the next marina than to poke along at 5 to 6 knots like a ragtop boat. If you can cruise at 20 to 25 kts. most powerboaters with planing or semi-planing hulls like yours had rather not risk the discomfort of a rough passage but opt for optimum conditions when they can go fast.
After speaking to a guy who deliver's, on their bottom, large powerboat's worldwide , some capable of 30 knot speed's, he reckoned that you alway's end up doing 10 knot's due to sea state and fuel usage/range requirement's.

He designed his own large alloy wavepeircer for a 10 knot speed.

Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ The Yacht Hub

I have done the same.

Dave
Old 06-07-2007, 04:38   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
After speaking to a guy who deliver's, on their bottom, large powerboat's worldwide , some capable of 30 knot speed's, he reckoned that you alway's end up doing 10 knot's due to sea state and fuel usage/range requirement's.

He designed his own large alloy wavepeircer for a 10 knot speed.

Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ The Yacht Hub

I have done the same.

Dave
I have found this to be the truth.

I plan to go no more than 10 knots when I become a member of the "dark side", and actually plan a cruising speed of 6-8 knots as I get now under sail.

Hopefully, this will help reduce fuel consumption.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote