Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 11:44   #106

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: STORM PREPARATION AT SEA

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but personal preparation.

A mistake I have made several times is not resting up enough when weather is great, sleep more than you need etc. Leading upto a passage sleep well, drink lots of water and eat well. I have a neck issue to the extent it can make me throw up, at sea this can be a real issue. If leading upto a passage I adequately hydrate, stretch, take magnesium etc I'm likely not to have a problem, yet sometimes I get busy and neglect doing the above and then pay for it once out at sea. It's easy leading upto and in the first couple of days of a passage not to rest enough, you have no credit in the bank if bad weather comes along, fatigue or bad health can be a major problem.

Pre made meals allow you to always eat well.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:51   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Crew numbers - perhaps slightly off-topic because it is storm prep before going to sea rather than while at sea . . . . but crew numbers are not much discussed in cruising forums and there is quite a bit of 'safety leverage' there.

3 (or 4) crew means MUCH less fatigue all around, and thus greater margin to deal with stuff when it inevitably happens.

Think about (just for example) dewatering a boat (either by hand, or continuously clearing trash from around the pumps) with say 4 crew, rather than just 2 70-year-olds.

I know many cruising couples are reluctant to bring strangers into their home and their set routine. We ourselves were reluctant. However, on passages in cold water, with higher gale possibilities, with upwind stretches almost inevitable . . . it should probably be a serious consideration.
An excellent point.

Sailing short handed on passages where there are weather risks greatly increases the risk.

Where there is more than one night at sea involved, I prefer to be at least four (three regular watchkeepers plus skipper/navigator) and better five (three regular watch keepers, skipper/navigator, one reserve/cook). It's a vastly more comfortable, pleasant, and safe way to do long passages.

Two people in their 70's, no matter how skilful and experienced, are severely limited in strength and endurance for dealing with a crisis, compared to a well-led full crew, and need to take that into account.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 16:27   #108

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
More crew that know what they're doing, not just more passengers.
Thats the challenge! And more crew that don't get seasick or scared if the things go a bit pear shaped.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:52   #109

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Modern boats with shallow bilges the use of buckets almost impossible. You also cannot get a the Coast Guard supplied water pump to work, as the inlet to way too large, even with the strainer removed. That is personal experience.
If the water level is below the floor boards there is no problem. If you are standing on the floorboards, with water over your knees (or higher), then the buckets come into play
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:51   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Modern boats with shallow bilges the use of buckets almost impossible. You also cannot get a the Coast Guard supplied water pump to work, as the inlet to way too large, even with the strainer removed. That is personal experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
If the water level is below the floor boards there is no problem. If you are standing on the floorboards, with water over your knees (or higher), then the buckets come into play
Perhaps if bucket brigading at dock side with water up to your knees, you might accomplish something. But, if attempting to remove water via buckets from the typical modern sail boat with shallow bilges, wide open interior, few hand holds, varnished plywood floors, no place to brace one's self, and water up to one's knees in rough weather, in a seaway, best of luck to you & the crew, as it ain't going to work too well. Make sure you add the first aid kit to the ditch bag.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:35   #111
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Two people in their 70's, no matter how skilful and experienced, are severely limited in strength and endurance
But perhaps also more ready to accept "when our number comes up, out time has come, we've lived a full life".

To me, a very healthy attitude, better to go any way other than sitting in a facility somewhere.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:25   #112

I sailed on merchant vessels and recommend that you have an HF SSB DSC radio tied into your GPS in the event of a distress. The Icom 802 radio operates on marine distress frequencies but Ham radios do not. VHF range is usually less than 10 NM because of the low antenna height. Merchant vessels monitor the HF distress frequencies as do the shore stations and HF can reach out hundreds of miles. Also carry a 406 MHZ EPIRB as this works on satellite anywhere in the world and you can take it with you if you have to abandon your vessel. All merchant vessels file a sail plan and so should you. In the event of distress it gives the searchers a plan. If possible buy snd use satellite phone because it is well worth the cost. After 15 years of running into many significant storms my having the best communications was a source of assurance we would be rescued👍
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:52   #113

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Some people might not feel comfortable buying a helmet that only costs $16, such as the one I linked before. My point with selecting such an inexpensive helmet was that the cost is so low that it should not be a big factor, or should not prevent most sailors from buying one, if they feel they want one. I shared that one, simply to prove a point a helmet could be purchased at low cost (including quick delivery to your door).

I searched Amazon and found some “Water Sport” and “kayak” and “surf” helmets that are somewhat higher priced, but also not the most expensive on the market. These might suit someone who does not mind spending a little more. Most are about $45 to $100 or so. Most come in various colors (though I prefer yellow for ocean use), and most have ear protection pads (usually removable), and some kind of fit adjustment (either a ratcheting device or more foam pads). Some of these are well known brands in outdoor sporting goods gear (e.g. NRS and ProTec).

NP Surf Water Sports Helmet
Various colors
https://amzn.to/2NpKZFy

NRS Livery Helmet
Yellow (also in various colors)
https://amzn.to/2KwB6Iq

ProTec Water Helmet
https://amzn.to/2IXSMHu

Sweet Protection “Wanderer” paddling (water sports) helmet
https://amzn.to/2ISHNPp

Tontron Watersports helmet with GoPro mount
https://amzn.to/2IXLH9A

I am not recommending one brand over another. I leave it to you to choose what you want. This short list is simply to help you see the relative costs and types. These helmets each have happy customers and users, some have been widely marketed and are popular brands or models.
===================== ==========================
I always read your comments with interest and well worth my time.
This suggestion about helmets have been present in my own thinking for some time too.
Also believe this should also been posted on the other thread,the one for the "geriatric" group of what I am a proud member at 77.
Want to share my own observation,yesterday have to pull out of the water my beloved Nimble 20 have not been using since I am concentrating all my efforts on the newly acquired Cape Dory 30 to go back to the sea.
This was not an accident related to the high seas not even to the "low seas" in fact the boat was already sitting on the trailer, trying to loose the backstay
lost balance,fell off from cockpit to pavement,911 called,no broken bones,BUT a nice bump on the back of my head.
What this have to do with cruising,well,head injuries,we all worry about injuries that will render us impaired.
head trauma is quite frequent,without having a serious life threatening they can cloud judgment or state of consciousness,vital mental activities at times of stress.
The use of a helmet,much like a liferaft of recent discussions is a complicated one from to use it or not,as to when.
thank you for bringing this point to the forum and I am going to get one.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:34   #114

Boat: 32 feet of love

the only people who have a problem with using a helmet are those who have nothing to protect with a helmet.

someone mentioned that maybe it will take too much space...

or that because the rest of you might get broken why bother?

you can hang your helmet(s) and use them as fresh food storage.

line it with a bag and you have another bucket.

we all know you can't have too many buckets!
yalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:51   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevin73 View Post
If possible buy snd use satellite phone because it is well worth the cost. After 15 years of running into many significant storms my having the best communications was a source of assurance we would be rescued👍
+1 on the sat phone. That was our means communication when I had a crew member medically evacuated 1010 miles north east of Hawaii in 2012.

You should also have a list of phone numbers for the appropriate Rescue Coordination Centres. You can find them here: https://sarcontacts.info/

Unfortunately the info is not downloadable, you need to make your own list.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:03   #116

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch

I've read this thread with great interest. There are some clever ideas and I won't grade them.

I've done 2-circumnavigations and numerous off-shore yacht deliveries, survived numerous storms at sea including Cyclone Bola in the Tasman Sea (off of New Zealand) in 1988. I've sailed the Southern Ocean from NZ to Antarctica.

Today, there is very little reason for dealing with these types of storms due to numerous routing services that are available. However, there is still that unusual event like what happened to me in Cyclone Bola, That cyclone was traveling WSW from Fiji to New Caledonia (roughly 1800 miles away) when I was planning my passage from NZ to Brisbane and posed (seemingly) no threat. The day after I left, Bola headed due S @ 30kts. I was already 150 miles off-shore and decided I was a safe enough to continue on my W track toward Brisbane Aust. I got the westerly edge of the cyclone the next day.

Earlier in my sailing career, I suffered a severe knockdown on a passage from NZ to Tonga, near the Kermadec Islands. My wife suffered a severe head wound (that I had to, later, stitch up), our deck mounted (through bolted) life raft was ripped off the deck and washed overboard along with our dodger, SB side stanchions & life-lines and everything else above decks including me. The mainsail boom was snapped in half but the rig stood. The chaos below and my injured wife was incredibly demoralizing. I have no idea what I may have done, had I had a 406Epirb at that time. Not that it would have done much good in that part of the world. I have seen seasoned sailors abandon ship for much less and I don't judge them. NONE of us know what we might do in similar circumstances. I had no option but to make saving the boat my 1st priority and that I did. After we were safely on our way again, I was able to attend to all the chaos that I had to ignore for several hours.

I have 2 pieces of advise for storm preparation. 1. SECURE EVERYTHING before you leave. First (and foremost) make sure that all bilge boards have secure locks on them. They are your filter for keeping debris out of the bilge. Be sure that ALL lockers are firmly secured. That helps reduce the chaos in the event of a knock-down/rollover. Your cabinet doors will hold the contents 99% of the time if the doors are secured. Flying debris is your worst nightmare. If it is secured, it can't fly. FIRMLY secure all heavy items inside the cabin like dive tanks, books, sports equipment, etc. Secure stove gimbles, fridge covers etc.

My point here is that most "abandon ship" scenarios, that I know of, have been due to the utter mental and physical exhaustion and the crew being totally demoralized by the chaos and hopelessness created down below due to debris and broken items in the cabin, bilge pumps clogged with debris (like paper etc). In MOST of these abandon ship scenarios, the vessel is later found and in the same condition that it was abandoned.

My main reason for joining this post was to encourage cruisers to obtain and rig a good quality parachute sea anchor. I designed and built my own sea anchor after my knock-down in 1985. The 25' parachute was made from heavy nylon fabric and every seam was triple stitched with 1" tubular nylon webbing. I obtained 1" S/S shackles and a swivel from a rigging company in Auckland NZ. At any rate, I don't expect others to do this, There are professionally built (self deploying) parachute anchors on the market.

I prepped my sea anchor for deployment before every ocean passage of over 4-days, before leaving harbor. My #1 anchor rode was 300' of 3/8" BBB chain then 300' of 5/8" nylon road. That dead ended to 20' of 1/2" chain that is secured to the keel, in the chain-locker. Before leaving port, I would pull out all of my rode and end-for-end it. Now, the 1/2" chain is at the forward end. I secured my 1" S/S swivel to the bitter end and the parachute harness to the chain. I ran the 1/2" chain over the bow roller and on the outside of all stanchions, securing the chain to each stanchion. I then tied the parachute securely in the cockpit. This tactic may be nearly impossible in rough seas. If you can't be committed to doing it before you leave port, don't waste your money. However, in the event of a knock-down/roll-over. Deploying a parachute anchor could be a game changer as it creates an uncanny calm that will assist in being able to deal with the chaos and fatigue that sometimes result in an abandon ship scenario.

When the wind kicks up to 50K, I just made it a habit of cutting the stanchion ties and deploying the (previously prepared) parachute anchor with 300' of nylon rode and leaving about 10' of my 3/8"BBB chain over the bow roller (eliminating chafe issues). Sailing in those conditions is no fun and laying to a sea-anchor until conditions improve is actually makes it enjoyable. After-all, who's in a hurry here? I have even deployed the parachute in lesser wind like when I got a fishing net tangled in my prop, 100 miles south of Indonesia. It made the job of going overboard to cut it free safe and comfortable, in fairly moderate conditions.

It is hard to describe what happens when the parachute is deployed in a storm. During cyclone Bola, we experienced a consistent 70K of wind with higher gusts that finally ripped off my anemometer from the masthead. The seas were in the 50' range and breaking all around us. Once the parachute took hold (hours before), we never got a breaking wave on deck. We sat in the cockpit, drinking coffee and were relatively comfortable and dry. ALL of the breaking seas that headed toward us just dissipated as they went over the parachute canopy. Not like a breakwater exactly, the parachute causes a slick on the water surface as it is being drug through the water. The breaking waves just flatten out when they hit that slick. I can't explain the dynamics. I can only attest to the results. The feeling was similar to being at anchor in a bay during a storm, only you don't have the worry of the anchor dragging (as long as you have sufficient sea room.

Good luck........ happy sailing and I hope that you never have to deploy that prepared sea anchor and it is a total waste of money for you. In my opinion, a sea anchor is more important and practical than a life-raft. I say that because a sea anchor may well keep you out of your life-raft.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 13:47   #117

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Great thread, keep 'em coming!! I am often cited as being too insecure and safety paranoid (more than conscious), but these things are important, especially when so many are unable to perform physical activity like they did at 20 years of age. I just had a knee injection, for instance, and it is the first time the knee did not hurt in over a decade. When the novacaine wears off tomorrow, we shall see if that still holds of course, but nevertheless...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 15:14   #118

My preparation for a storm?

Check the forecast.

If it looks adverse, don’t go!

I have crossed biscay in a storm force 10.... and survived.
BonyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 15:16   #119

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch

OH!!! an add-on........ My advise on life-rafts....... never try to get in one. They are a death sentence. Your best life raft is your boat. Spend that time saving your boat.

If you carry a life-raft, carry it in a valise, in a strongly secured locker in the cockpit, below deck level along with your ditch bag. Anything and everything above deck level is subject to being removed by a big sea or roll-over. I don't care how secure it is, it CAN be wiped off if it is above the gunnel line. Trust me, I know 1st hand. There was another recent indecent similar to mine and their center cockpit binnacle was even torn lose.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 18:24   #120

I logged many miles in the Atlantic and Pacific single hand and the best idea I had picked up from another live-aboard was to cut 1/4 inch Plexiglas to fit all the port and silicone them in from the outside. I did this every time I was offshore. The biggest wave could not push the Plexiglas in or damage the ports but once safely ashore, a little push from the inside popped the plexi right out and the ports were undamaged. Inexpensive, easy, and proven to work.
May the winds be always at your back. Safe sailing and enjoy life.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote