Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2014, 12:03   #76

Re: Still rounding up...

Sorry old frog, a bit of thread high jacking going on, when do you get to try the small jib? It will be interesting to see if some of the options put forward help?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 18-08-2014, 12:10   #77

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I will concede. Who'da thought there was admiralty case law defining Close-Hauled?"
The wording might be the result of a dispute during a race. Not a race rules historian by any means, but maybe a boat tacked in front of another boat forcing them to change course or luffed another boat into the wind and at the time a more precise definition of close hauled was required as dictated by the rules of the day. Pure speculation on my part...

Old 18-08-2014, 12:15   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Sorry old frog, a bit of thread high jacking going on, when do you get to try the small jib? It will be interesting to see if some of the options put forward help?

We will be trying it this Wednesday night. Small jib to windward mark, spinnaker downwind to the breakwater, and then small jib for 2 miles inside the channel in lighter air at twilight.
Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks for asking...
Old 18-08-2014, 15:29   #79

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Thanks for asking...
You can't swap to the genoa while you're under spinnaker? What else are the foredeck crew going to do with all their spare time?
Old 18-08-2014, 16:37   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
You can't swap to the genoa while you're under spinnaker? What else are the foredeck crew going to do with all their spare time?
Not to be contrary but this has been discussed further up in the thread.

Are we allowed to do it? I think so but I am waiting to hear from the Race Committee Chairman to confirm that. There is no prohibition that I can find in either the Sailing Instructions nor the NOR.

Have we discussed doing it? Yes

Are we capable of doing it in a timely and efficient manner? Possibly but probably not.

When we get on the boat we have to swap the jib for the genoa and when we return to the slip swap them back and leave the boat like we found it for the next charterer. The bolt ropes in the headsails are tight in the foil such that this exercise is nowhere near as fast as with hanked on sails (there is only one halyard as well). It typically takes about 10 minutes even while floating calmly in the slip let alone during a race in the wind and open water with swells. Since we do not own the boat, we don't have access to practice this even if we wanted to.

Given the crew is comprised of club members and therefore inconsistent as to who and how many show up every week, flying the spinnaker is still somewhat challenging let alone trying to swap out the headsails at the same time.

But we have discussed it and with 4 races remaining in the series we might give it a try just to see if we can manage it, assuming the Race Committee Chairman confirms that it is allowed.

As an aside, I just found out the owner is considering selling the boat at the end of the season so we might all be looking for a new home next year anyway.

Thanks for asking.
Old 18-08-2014, 21:49   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Forget what I posted above. Switching headsails is not allowed during the race. Not only that, we are allowed only one headsail change for the entire 2014 season for all ASMBYC races in Santa Monica Bay, so if we change it we must race with it for the rest of 2014 in all remaining ASMBYC races.

Given that we are now approaching the time of year when the winds start to drop off we are inclined to leave the 135 on for the rest of the year.
Old 18-08-2014, 22:25   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Can you furl it per the rules? I know it affects performance but you are way overpowered.

It is also extremely tough but what about reefing the main. Is it possible to shake the reef out while on the run? Or late in the day when things die?

If you are getting 6+ knots boatspeed you don't need to shake out the main. The boat isn't going any faster unless it surfs or planes.

Or maybe just live with a reefed main full 135 on over-powered days.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 23:28   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

> Not only that, we are allowed only one headsail change for the entire 2014 season for all ASMBYC races in Santa Monica Bay, so if we change it we must race with it for the rest of 2014 in all remaining ASMBYC races.

You have to basically use the same headsail for every race? Regardless of weather conditions? That's not just stupid, it's downright dangerous.
Old 19-08-2014, 00:02   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> Not only that, we are allowed only one headsail change for the entire 2014 season for all ASMBYC races in Santa Monica Bay, so if we change it we must race with it for the rest of 2014 in all remaining ASMBYC races.

You have to basically use the same headsail for every race? Regardless of weather conditions? That's not just stupid, it's downright dangerous.
You are right.

I wonder if OldFrog might be misinterpreting that one.

It could be a rule that they can't put more than one "new" headsail on the boat.

i.e. Blow up a genoa and replace it with a new one. But if you blow up a second headsail you gotta go with your remaining one (probably the blade) -

This would stop money guys from bringing new sails every month...

Must be some serious prizes in this series - LOL...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: