Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2019, 20:53   #1

Boat: Fantasia 35'
Stern Anchor Setup on a Double Ender?

Hey sailors,

I'll be in some anchorages shortly that will require a stern anchor setup. I have three anchors on board, a 55lb Mantus, 45 lb CQR, and 35 lb CQR. I don't care for the CQR's but have them on board should I need them. I figure perhaps the 35 lb'er could be used for stern anchoring, as it would be easier to toss overboard. I currently have no setup whatsoever to facilitate this. How do people on double enders toss in a stern anchor? I could see letting out line slowly by using a cleat, but other than that I can't tell how to deploy the anchor without hurting myself or the boat.

Any pics of setups or tips that people want to share?

Thank you!
salty.senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 21:42   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Stern Anchor Setup on a Double Ender?

Salty Senorita, here's a notion you could consider. Go to a 2nd hand boat shop and see if you can find an anchor roller with a thick, flat backing plate designed for the anchoring sprit on a motor boat. It will have two rollers side by side, standing proud from a s/s plate. You can probably figure out a way to mount it hanging off the stern far enough to keep chain clear. ...might need to involve some timber. You can use a milk crate for the nylon rode and the boat length of chain that you shackle to the anchor. Use the 35 # plow, because that's what you have, although, if you can pick up a 20# Danforth, it would make a great stern anchor, and be lighter for you to handle. Figure out a way to secure the anchor there, and keep its shackle on it. When you hook it up before you get to the anchorage, unless you keep it all set up all the time, you'll have to shackle and mouse the shackle each time. Use a zip tie.

The hardest part will be figuring out how to through bolt the anchor roller on the stern, to keep the chain clear, and you will want a backing plate on the underneath.

We had a setup similar to this on our first Insatiable, but had room below decks to make a stern anchor "locker" out of two milk crates, lashed together, and cut a hole in the deck for the rode to come out. You may need to acquire some chafe strips to protect varnished bits.

Ann
Old 13-03-2019, 22:17   #3

Boat: Fantasia 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Salty Senorita, here's a notion you could consider. Go to a 2nd hand boat shop and see if you can find an anchor roller with a thick, flat backing plate designed for the anchoring sprit on a motor boat. It will have two rollers side by side, standing proud from a s/s plate. You can probably figure out a way to mount it hanging off the stern far enough to keep chain clear. ...might need to involve some timber. You can use a milk crate for the nylon rode and the boat length of chain that you shackle to the anchor. Use the 35 # plow, because that's what you have, although, if you can pick up a 20# Danforth, it would make a great stern anchor, and be lighter for you to handle. Figure out a way to secure the anchor there, and keep its shackle on it. When you hook it up before you get to the anchorage, unless you keep it all set up all the time, you'll have to shackle and mouse the shackle each time. Use a zip tie.

The hardest part will be figuring out how to through bolt the anchor roller on the stern, to keep the chain clear, and you will want a backing plate on the underneath.

We had a setup similar to this on our first Insatiable, but had room below decks to make a stern anchor "locker" out of two milk crates, lashed together, and cut a hole in the deck for the rode to come out. You may need to acquire some chafe strips to protect varnished bits.

Ann
I was considering picking up a Danforth as they stow easier and have those clips to hang on the pulpits. I forgot to mention I have a wind vane in the back, so I can't put a bow roller there. I may at some point be able to put a thru deck fitting to allow the chain to come out, if I build a shelf to keep the chain off the seacock I could easily use that as an anchor locker. For the time being I don't mind having it up on deck. I've got a propane locker back there along with life raft, and dorade boxes so there's not a ton of space. I have a center cockpit so it's a little crowded back there.
salty.senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 22:57   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Not much wisdom to offer, but I have the same challenge: double-ender, with a vane hanging off the stern. No easy way to install a stern roller (although I keep pondering the problem).

My stern anchor is a 15 kg Bruce. Its dedicated rode is 150’ of nylon spliced to about 20’ of 1/2” chain. I have the rode contained in a canvas bag which stores cradled in the hook of the anchor, which is stored in my cockpit sail locker. To use it, I just reach in and can pull it all out fairly easily.

Instead of a roller I feed the rode through my stern polished bronze scupper, and then to a stout cleat, or to one of the main winches. This allows me to deploy it fairly quickly, off ether starboard or port, so it won’t interfere with my windvane.

I have some excess below-deck space right at the stern, so might be able to rig a some sort of chain locker like you’re describing Jim. So far though, the bagged rode has done the trick. And one nice aspect is that it’s easy to transfer the whole thing into the dinghy when it comes time to row the anchor out.
Old 13-03-2019, 23:59   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Not to get into the anchor debate, but my thoughts are this: Great bow anchor, we use a rocna, same same but different. But from lots of reading and studying, it seems CQRs are the least reliable anchor for the average cruiser. There are people on here who will argue that they can get a plow or cqr to set properly, but that always seems like it takes several tries, skills and luck. Doing it by hand from the stern is not a place I'd want a heavy, tricky-to-set anchor, that I might need to retrieve more than once without a windlass if it starts to drag.

We have a big fortress hanging off there for this reason. Light weight, easy up and down, holds very well (and unbeatable in sand). I don't believe in skimping on anchoring, so I'd bite the bullet, lose both cqrs, get a fortress or similar danforth, lose a few bucks but save your back and improve the quality of your sleep....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 00:07   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

I store my second anchor on the bow roller and have found it is easier to put the anchor, chain and rode into the dingy, motor around to the stern and cleat on the bitter end then deploy rode, chain and anchor out of the dingy rather than try to deploy it over the stern whilst positioning the parent vessel.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 00:55   #7

I have a stern windlass anchor chain set up (starboard side). The anchor hangs off of a custom made SS anchor holder (think of a large fishing rod holder with a notch at the top for the anchor to fit into so it does not move) and easily slides in and out including chain. It is attached to the starboard side of the stern rail. The windlass is on the deck and the chain goes into the cockpit locker via a tray (underside) where an area aft is cordoned off for the chain (40m). When the anchor (Rocna 10) is deployed I just pull some chain out, ease the anchor in the water and run the windlass which feeds the chain aft to a plastic wheel and does a 90 degree to a SS U-tray that has been placed going through the toe rail (cut out) and past the toe rail 5cm. The U-tray is part of a larger rectangular SS metal plate where the wheel is attached via a large bolt and fastened to the deck via 4 bolts. Then I have a 10m snubber (double line) that I add and adjust the length to what I need if I want it centered or use a single line snubber to just get the tension off. This allows me to anchor either bow or stern in marinas and also is a great backup which has saved me in the past.

You can do this without the windlass. The anchor can be undersized since it is not your primary anchor but doing it manually will be a chore.

I am not at the boat so can not post a pic.
mat jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 04:34   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I have a Fortress x-23 mounted on a bracket (look up Windline anchor bracket) on the stern rail. Compact (well, relatively flat at least) light and easy to deploy. 15’ of chain lives in a canvas bucket in the stern locker along with 300’ of three strand. Hooking up is a matter of connecting the chain to the anchor, running the three strand through a hawsepipe and to the chain.

I prefer to set the stern anchor from the dinghy when I can as I single hand and doing it all from the boat is a bit of a chore...letting out another 100’ or whatever of chain, setting the stern anchor then taking all that chain back in. Whatever works for you.

I can’t imagine wrestling a 35lb Bruce around in the cockpit and not ending up banging stuff up. If you go that route Ann’s idea strikes me as sensible.
Old 14-03-2019, 05:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty.senorita View Post
Hey sailors,

I'll be in some anchorages shortly that will require a stern anchor setup. I have three anchors on board, a 55lb Mantus, 45 lb CQR, and 35 lb CQR. I don't care for the CQR's but have them on board should I need them. I figure perhaps the 35 lb'er could be used for stern anchoring, as it would be easier to toss overboard. I currently have no setup whatsoever to facilitate this. How do people on double enders toss in a stern anchor? I could see letting out line slowly by using a cleat, but other than that I can't tell how to deploy the anchor without hurting myself or the boat.

Any pics of setups or tips that people want to share?

Thank you!

The best choice for a stern anchor is an anchor with the best ratio Weight/Holding power,
and this anchor is Fortress, and one of the worse it's CQR (for its "ratio" and also for the difficulty to set well in the ground a the first try)
Obviously IMHO
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 05:32   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Lots of good ideas but w/a similar theme using a Danforth/Fortress anchor with an attached rail mount. I've attached pics from a Tayana 37 that had a nice set up and similar to what Ann was describing for a roller.
An additional item to consider would be to add a webbing reel to hold the majority of rode. Very helpful if one doesn't have a stern locker to house the rode or when setting your anchor w/the dinghy. A length of chain could be added when needed.
The roller should be able to handle other anchor types as they may not set well in all bottoms. Also depending where you anchor, your stern anchor could become your primary (w/tide shifts, etc.) and should be sized accordingly.

Here's the link to the pic
and another

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 05:51   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

On my double ender I carry a Danforth in brackets on the stern pulpit. I have a sturdy bollard through bolted with backing plate on the canter line at the stern. 20 ‘ of chain and nylon plait for the rode.

I deploy from the side of the boat or an aft quarter or sometimes even from the bow as conditions require. If I must drop the stern anchor in shallow water I’ll put the anchor and the necessary length of rode in the dinghy and row it out. I use the primary winches instead of a windlass. I am careful with leading the rode clear on deployment and then to the winch. Proper chafe guard may be needed. A few pieces of 1/2 round stainless in the right places helps.

P.S. if you can’t maneuver the boat over the spot to drop the stern anchor you also can’t use your windlass or winch to break it free. That means doing it from the dinghy. If the anchor is heavy or deeply buried that can be difficult with a small dinghy and small outboard. Don’t ask me how I know.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:26   #12

Hello,
The first rule is NEVER have an anchor that can kill you. The cqr will. that pivot is deadly. buy something like a danforth or a smaller anchor without that damn hinge.
the cqr was surplus after the war when it was used for flying boats which sailed around with the wind. the hiscocks bought it because it was cheap. it is a crap anchor. better to buy a smaller anchor with chain. the angle is much more important than the weight, and the angle is determined by the chain. so get 100 or more feet of chain and you will be better off.
davidmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:48   #13

Boat: Leopard 39

I would rig a bridle, about twice the length of your boat width, between your two aft horn cleats; after you've let out sufficient stern rode, tie the bitter end to your bridle, or use a carabiner.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:57   #14

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I have a Fortress x-23 mounted on a bracket (look up Windline anchor bracket) on the stern rail. Compact (well, relatively flat at least) light and easy to deploy.

I use the Windline bracket with a generic Danforth for my bow anchor. It's a good combination, and the Fortress would offer an even better ratio of weight-to-effectiveness. The main disadvantage of the Fortress/Danforth anchors is the high likelihood that they will break out and fail to reset with a change in the direction of pull. Since the direction of pull for a stern anchor does not change to any material degree, these anchors would seem a perfect fit for that. They also stow well on the rail using the Windline bracket.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 10:01   #15

i did not fully explain. if you are going to use the stern anchor seriously, use chain and line. if its a convenience, use line with a short lenght of chain. the most important thing is to be able to handle it. so a smaller anchor and rode is preferable to something that you do not use except in an emergency.
davidmilne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor