Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-07-2016, 19:06   #16

Re: Stack packs stink

The lazy jacks will work better if you break them up some. Pick up some small Antal rings and play around with some small line to get a good structure. Think about it like a stack of V's two on the bottom, one above that, the ends of wich have eye splices around the rings, the lower V's peak going through the ring. The peak of the top V has your line to the mast, same thing end spliced around a ring with the peak of the lower V though it. By making the V's bigger or smaller you can put a curve in the aft profile of the lazy jacks that will miss most of your battens.

Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 00:04   #17
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For hoisting it sailing, you'll be roughly 40 degrees off the wind sailing on the headsail, so you will need to let the boom lay off that amount, to align with the apparent wind. I think nigel 1's suggestion of opening the mouth of the opening is a great one: ours are tied about halfway out each of the lower spreaders.

Then, ease off the leeward lines so that they are sagging, and the main should come right up.

Good luck with it, Madwand.

PS I love our boom bag with lazy jacks, no more bunt in the way of seeing under the boom when reefed.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 00:14   #18

Boat: kuiper 32

My Lazy jacks on my stack pac are half way out the spreaders and I have a hell of a time raising my main so am going back to an ordinary sail cover with standard lazy jacks which can be loosened off and put back against the mast when I am raising the mainsail.If your on a lee shore and need your main up in a hurry could make all the difference.Also the windage is a real problem in strong winds.Good system on charter boats where people are lazy not so good in the real world.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:36   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 450
Stack packs stink

Madwand. If you havent already, loosen your mainsheet to allow your boom to move +/-1m laterally from center. This will certainly aid in raising your main between the jack lines as the boom will compensate for the wind shifts as you try to steer into the wind.
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:36   #20

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i like how they look after tropical storms... shredded... and these same folks are the ones i hear yapping about windage in storms... ok...
the top of stack pack also collects rainwater. the height of the coverings for the stack pack is taller than my radical anteek sailcover.
i see no one prepping for cyclonic events by wrapping these stack packs with lines. nope none. then they wonder why the rig is destroyed when they return to sail boat in november or december.
i thank the investments of others as i watch for research and development of my own rig.
so far, simple and old fashioned seem best and least pricey ways to go.

Not sure you have seen my stackpack wrapped with line

Securing Stackpack - lines wrapped around stackpack Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:47   #21

Boat: 1989 Catalina 30

I have seen a couple of people now say that the main sheet needs to be loose and now thinking back on it, I realize that I had the main-sheet very tight. That may have been the biggest helpful suggestion so far. I won't be able to check until a couple weeks before I get on the boat again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:48   #22

Boat: Crewing on a maxi cat

To make your sail raising a lot easier, move the blocks on the spar much lower & further outboard. Also, move the line that is connected to the boom/cover at the furthest point aft, towards the mast by a good bit.
As with a full battened main, it only needs to be about 60% of the way aft in order to do it's job. But with where it is now, it's a big contributor to the snagging thing.

Between the above "fixes", you should have a lot less snags. And it'll also allow you to raise & lower the main sans snags, over a much wider range of wind angles. So that you won't need to be fully head to wind in order to hoist, douse, or reef the main.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:13   #23

Boat: 1976 32' Downeaster

We just loosen ours up and pull them to the mast and secure with a small bungee cord to keep the lines out of the way. Simple and works.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

lilbabypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: