Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 12:35   #1

Boat: Conser 47 performance CAT
St Petersburg area anchorages along the shore area north and south towards sarasotoa

Hi all looking for weekend type anchorages along the cost ( 5-10 miles) from the St Pete / Tampa inlet

Some mates with blueish water and sand.

Assume calm weather... I can always go back to the Marina..

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:33   #2

Re: St Petersburg area anchorages along the shore area north and south towards saraso

Florida Sea Grant - Boating & Waterways - Anchorage Inventory
https://activecaptain.com/
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 06:14   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: St Petersburg area anchorages along the shore area north and south towards saraso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy View Post
Hi all looking for weekend type anchorages along the cost ( 5-10 miles) from the St Pete / Tampa inlet

Some mates with blueish water and sand.

Assume calm weather... I can always go back to the Marina..

Thanks

Your best resource would be ActiveCaptain ("AC"). You'll have to register, but that's free. You'll find the answers to many of the questions you've asked on AC along with reviews and comments by other cruisers.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 06:27   #4

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Egmont Key is an awesome spot right at the entrance of the main shipping channel coming into Tampa Bay. There is a fort ashore and you can anchor on either side depending on wind conditions
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:21   #5

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Take Manatee River into Bradenton. there are some good anchorages in there and near good restaurants and walking areas on both sides to dinghy to. Bradenton side (south side) is truly fun with a good boardwalk and downtown area to walk aroundi in. Twin Dolphin Marina is probably the best place to dinghy to or maybe just get a slip for the night there.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 09:56   #6

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

St Petersburg is a great city to explore. Lots of museums, restaurants, bars, etc. The best place to anchor to use the city dock is the outer south basin, then dinghy into the Demens Landing boat ramp area and then leave your dinghy at Frescoes (you dock there, and there is a machine that says to pay $1./ hour, but I don't think the machine has worked for years). From there, you are right in the center of town, and can walk to the Dali Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, Moon Under Water English Pub, Frescoes (for the Yucatan Spring Rolls only- most other fare is not great). Watch the prices on the menus, and definitely work the Happy Hours, or you'll end up taking a mortgage out for your meal... Moon is the best deal downtown, with GREAT Shepards pie, and Vindaloo chicken (if you like it really hot).

You can also go into Vinoy Harbor, but they charge $18/night (i think) for a mooring. Enjoy!!
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 10:19   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

By all means Active Capt, but call up Google Earth and get a look how they look yourself.
I'm not from around there, but Egmont Key did look interesting as we were passing through, did look like a nice spot for a day anchorage
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 15:59   #8

Boat: Scout 30

If you head north you can anchor just east of the Clearwater Beach Municipal Marina if you want to check out Clearwater Beach. North of that you can anchor off of Dunedin & dinghy into the Municipal Marina or just tie up at the transient docks. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance. North of that is Caladesi Island State Park which has a big marina that's worth spending some time at. The island can only be reached by boat & the beach is beautiful. North of that is 3 Rooker Island which is a great protected anchorage with beautiful beaches. North of that is Anclote Island, our favorite. More great beaches & an awesome lighthouse. We like to anchor at the SE end directly off of the lighthouse but don't get too close. At this point you might as well run up the Anclote River to Tarpon Springs. You can't anchor but you can get a transient slip at the Municipal Marina & walk the historic sponge docks. If you like Greek food this is the place to go.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 21:25   #9

Thanks all

I'm currently docked in Tampa, I'm an active, Active Captain user, just looking for additional local knowledge. I'm new to area, looking for day/weekend sails and a home for the 47 x 24 Cat, not easy on the Gulf.

Old 22-03-2016, 07:55   #10

Anyone anchored overnite off Egmont Key .. If conditions okay, is there a favored spot ?

Old 22-03-2016, 08:49   #11

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy View Post
Anyone anchored overnite off Egmont Key .. If conditions okay, is there a favored spot ?

I have a couple of times. The problem is there's no protection. The east side is great for the day but I don't recommend it overnight.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 11:09   #12

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Egmont Key is an amazing anchorage overnight. There is no protection but the wind usually blows from east or west and you can just anchor on the leeward side of the island. If the wind is from north or south, you can get really close to the pilot boat's dock that is on the east side of the island and it offers good protection.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 04:26   #13

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30

Heading South from St Pete, If you go up the Manatee River, just inside on either the North or South side are good anchorages. Parks on either side. The Desoto park on the South side is interesting.
Egmont Key is vewry interesting, but be careful as there is no protection for an overnight stay.
Below the Cortez bridge is Bradenton Beach. Lots of boats anchored there, but a neat stop with bars and restaurants and short walk to the beach.
In side of Longboat pass to the South is the anchorage where Marvista restaurant is located. Often a good stop and you can dinghy to the beach or sandbar for entertainment on the weekends.
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 16:18   #14

Gulf side of Egmont seems very shallow
Badtothebone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages