Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 05:43   #76

Boat: Able 50
Re: Solo sailers and sleep reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Correcto.. they are totally terrestial(sp).... however as well as the roots and leaves part of it I have a few other wombat characteristics...eg..' a wombat can lower its metabolism by about a third, slowing its heartbeat and respiration in order to conserve energy. When relaxed, wombats will often sleep on their backs with their legs in the air. Like many other animals, wombats sometimes snore when sleeping.'

... observe....
Which one is the wombat ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:37   #77

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

This and the other single handing threads recently have been very interesting, and have me reconsidering my plan to do the stretch from great sale cat straight to charleston alone, as I'm not currently carrying much of the equipment that other single handers have come to rely on. Instead, I'll probably do 30-hour stretches up the coast, separated by a day or so of rest. So thanks for the further discussion!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 13:42   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo sailers and sleep reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
This and the other single handing threads recently have been very interesting, and have me reconsidering my plan to do the stretch from great sale cat straight to charleston alone, as I'm not currently carrying much of the equipment that other single handers have come to rely on. Instead, I'll probably do 30-hour stretches up the coast, separated by a day or so of rest. So thanks for the further discussion!

Eh.. No laptop CP or AP..??
**** man... your hardcore.. Respect

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 16:14   #79

Hahaha, I'm no Slocum, boatman! It would be much harder without my iPhone and tiller pilot (x2)
What I'm not carrying is AIS and radar. And this section north does seem to have a fair bit of fisher and freighter traffic. Doing it in 2 or 3 hops adds about 70 nm, but may be worth it for safety's sake. I'll plan out both ways, and decide after the first day/night if it will be too much.

Old 11-06-2015, 16:18   #80

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Take plenty of fluids and, like boatman says, one tends to maintain a natural prostate-driven watch cycle. The joys of ageing. For those of you with serious questions on this subject - by all means choose to take your advice on this life-or-death decision from random postings on the internet...good luck on your short journey.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 16:52   #81

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Myself, I heave to in calmer weather only, to take a break and talk or rest. Never in a storm and wouldn't be my first choice.

So far I've only motor sailed into a storm. Last time doing a six mile diameter circle course in predawn hours between two huge thunderstorms. Will try to avoid something worse. No drouge or sea anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaerou View Post
I am not sure if this is the right forum to follow up on single handed sailing, but after reading Andrew Evans latest version of "Singlehanded Sailing", I am puzzled as to why none of the sailors he cites, while in very heavy weather, never chose the Heaving To option. Andrew's examples are either about using a sea anchor or a drogue attached astern. My question is would one heave to in a very heavy storm? Lin and Larry Pardey, in their excellent work "Storm Tactics: Modern Methods of Heaving-to.. " often used that maneuvre to let a storm go by. They also talk about the use of a para-anchor to be used while heaving-to. Has anyone any experience of such conditions?
Old 11-06-2015, 17:32   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Hahaha, I'm no Slocum, boatman! It would be much harder without my iPhone and tiller pilot (x2)
What I'm not carrying is AIS and radar. And this section north does seem to have a fair bit of fisher and freighter traffic. Doing it in 2 or 3 hops adds about 70 nm, but may be worth it for safety's sake. I'll plan out both ways, and decide after the first day/night if it will be too much.

Hey brown, where's ya at?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 18:54   #83

Hiya Frz!
The chance to do a short cruise with new friends, as well as, sadly, a death in the family, kept me away from boat work for a couple of weeks, but I'm back in boot key, have the outboard on, and plan to break it in tomorrow. Planning to take off for a couple weeks in the Bahamas this weekend or early next week, assuming my outboard install passes muster.

Old 12-06-2015, 13:18   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Hi guys. Thanks for mentioning my book.

With regard to heaving to; Jeanne Socrates, the woman in her 70s who has circumnavigated three times, and whom I write a lot about in the book, heaves to when the weather is bad. She did it quite a bit, which might account for her 9 month non-stop circumnavigation. I personally heave to often, usually just to get the sails down, but for any other reason I feel like as well.

With regard to sleep, I also suggest that you read the chapter on "How to maintain a winning attitude for the duration of a long distance race." In particular, take a look at the graphs of the energy/lethargy levels of the racers as compared to a crewed boat, where they were at 100% energy 100% of the time. In the singlehanded transpac, the racers were usually below 50% energy level, and it varied quite a bit over the period of the race. In my mind, the key to successful singlehanding is not just sleep, but the maintaining of energy levels. I give some suggestions that you can follow.

As well, MAKE SURE you read the part about "the 3 am effect" and in particular the report about Jessica Watson's collision. If you want to singlehand overnight, the 3 am effect is vital to your understanding.

Have fun out there!
Old 12-06-2015, 13:59   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
Hi guys. Thanks for mentioning my book.

With regard to heaving to; Jeanne Socrates, the woman in her 70s who has circumnavigated three times, and whom I write a lot about in the book, heaves to when the weather is bad. She did it quite a bit, which might account for her 9 month non-stop circumnavigation. I personally heave to often, usually just to get the sails down, but for any other reason I feel like as well.

With regard to sleep, I also suggest that you read the chapter on "How to maintain a winning attitude for the duration of a long distance race." In particular, take a look at the graphs of the energy/lethargy levels of the racers as compared to a crewed boat, where they were at 100% energy 100% of the time. In the singlehanded transpac, the racers were usually below 50% energy level, and it varied quite a bit over the period of the race. In my mind, the key to successful singlehanding is not just sleep, but the maintaining of energy levels. I give some suggestions that you can follow.

As well, MAKE SURE you read the part about "the 3 am effect" and in particular the report about Jessica Watson's collision. If you want to singlehand overnight, the 3 am effect is vital to your understanding.

Have fun out there!
Glad you posted reminded me to go purchase the new version of your book for my Kindle Thank you! Great book I have read the earlier version of your book. I highly recommend it regardless if you're a single-hander or not.

I have a hard time letting go and trusting crew and find myself single handing even when I am not alone.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 01:40   #86
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post
Glad you posted reminded me to go purchase the new version of your book for my Kindle Thank you! Great book I have read the earlier version of your book. I highly recommend it regardless if you're a single-hander or not.
Me too
Much better on a kindle
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 15:17   #87

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

So, can anyone post a link to any kind of report regarding a solo sailor harming anyone other than themselves?

I've searched around and can't find evidence of even a single anecdote of a solo sailor causing anyone other than themselves any harm.

Evidence?

mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 17:49   #88
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
So, can anyone post a link to any kind of report regarding a solo sailor harming anyone other than themselves?

I've searched around and can't find evidence of even a single anecdote of a solo sailor causing anyone other than themselves any harm.

Evidence?
Yes, Jessica Watson the child solo sailor RAMMED her 34 foot sailing boat into a Chinese cargo ship whilst she was asleep in the middle of the night. Harm to persons: It scared the crap outta the Captain. And the furst mate burned his hand spilling coffee because he was laughing so much.

Evidence: Broken coffee cup.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:00   #89
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post

Evidence?

Also, any incidents which would not have been avoided by having an ais receiver alarm and radar with guard zone alarm?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 22:01   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, Jessica Watson the child solo sailor RAMMED her 34 foot sailing boat into a Chinese cargo ship whilst she was asleep in the middle of the night. Harm to persons: It scared the crap outta the Captain. And the furst mate burned his hand spilling coffee because he was laughing so much.

Evidence: Broken coffee cup.
Clearly the ships owner was at fault for not supplying non breakable mugs with a lid for the crew

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1434344493.140109.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	103758

Tags
sail