Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 00:41   #1

Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

Hi all,
I am planing for a record solo nonstop, unassisted circuimnav. Its not about speed nor age, its about being the first of my country to do it.
Currently looking with the help of a friend for sponsorships and finances. I have my boat,which I have to refit for this purpose. She's a 1978 Formosa 41.
Any insights about route and weather planning from previous circuimnavigators or experienced ocean sailors. Also about navigation, , is it better to followgreat circles or just the weather and current patterns?

All ideas are appreciated

Thank you.

Richard zareefeh,
S/V Scarlett
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:32   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Z View Post
All ideas are appreciated

Read this

Then read it again.

The Long Way - Google Books
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:39   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

Do you truly understand what you are getting into? If you are just now refitting your boat. You have plenty of time to read, and gather sources. You want to be at the Hoorn in January, or so, summer. BEST WISHES on that one. It's frigging cold down there...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Check out the video and book written by Dodge Morgan. Book is The Voyage of American Promise. Video is Around Alone.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:16   #5

Can't imagine a Formosa 41 tht wouldn't ahve to stop for repairs. But maybe Zeehag will 'splain it to me.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:46   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

formosa 41s can be repaired underway--i hope you are handy and i hope your engine is realllly good. with our boats, you will need a really good mizzen and you will want your forestaysail installed and working nicely. doesnt have to be roller furled--isnt on the sprit. the jib on the sprit needs to be roller furling so yu have less need to wander onto sprit in seas.
these boats love to sail
you will want a hydraulic autopilot. is best crew alternative i ever saw or met. the wheel driven ones do not measure up on our boats-- these are some burly stuff, formosa 41s.
fishing gear-- you will want to catch some dinner-is awfully yummmmy right out of the sea....i use 200 pound test with a length of mono filament to which to attach my prerigged lures---i caught bonito, barracuda, skipjack tuna off baja...still want my dorado....
you have a formosa, formosa yer life you will be working onher.
make sure that your stern tube and shaft and stuffing box and shaft log are perfect.
have a bimini over helm station and one over companionway. dont need a ddger, but a bimini is perfect.
solar panels
wind genny
when ye sail your brick, you will find she is good under mizzen and jib--perfect for weather-- sailed mine north of cabo san lucas and were hit by 60 kts winds ---had my mizzen and jib reefed and main was down and stowed in boom cover-- we would definitely have been knocked down had i had main up and full...... we hit 8+kts under reefed sails.
donot prevent your mizzen to the decorative caprail--it WILL break from the load when winds pick up..... dont ask how i know that one...LOL
carry spares for fuel filtering...and spare starter...
if ye have any questions about sailing your awesome boat , let me know--- i love mine, flaws and all.....
sounds like a cool adventure--- keep us posted as to your progress...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
is it better to followgreat circles or just the weather and current patterns?
If you are serious, you need to know and fully understand the answer to this question before you even start planning. We shouldn't answer it for you, you need to do the research. This is important, and I'm trying to help.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:56   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sounds like ye need to research patterns of weather, seas, wind, currents, etc before ye make a definitive plan. remember, boats are only as good as the soul sailing them.....and these boats do take it a step farther.. they are tough but you have to be ready for anyhting.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27   #9

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
... Any insights about route and weather planning from previous circuimnavigators or experienced ocean sailors. Also about navigation, , is it better to followgreat circles or just the weather and current patterns?
Uh, baby steps, as Bill Murray might have said...
For navigation, there are always jet condensation trails (AKA con trails) - just don't follow them all the way, gotta stop at the edge of land

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:57   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

ZEE I have a CPT autopilot on a 17 ton boat works well maybe save a few bucks over hydraulic...

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 13:17   #11

I am living on my boat now while i'm not work. Been working on some of my systems, took out everything old and useless. Ill be reenforcing my chainplates and my anchor points on deck and in cockpit. I have a multitude of things to learn and read about especially about weather down there. My departure will not be from my home country but from Florida.
Still have lots of time at my hands, because , as I said in my previous post, still in the process of looking for sponsorship. So I have to go on with my job and slowly getting my boat ready, untill the finances are taken care of.
meanwhile I am trying to gather as much info as possible regarding everything and definitely fine tuning my sailing and ability to solve most of my system problems.

I will be reading The Long Way and any other books I pass by,
thanks
Richard
Old 03-07-2011, 13:59   #12

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Hi Richard

Good Luck with your venture! However, I have noted that sponsorship for single handed round the world ventures is more likely if you dress in a shortish skirt and wear your hair in pigtails. Pink sails will help too. I don't do any of that (or even shave my legs) and I have to pay for my boat all by myself.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 14:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Hi Richard

Good Luck with your venture! However, I have noted that sponsorship for single handed round the world ventures is more likely if you dress in a shortish skirt and wear your hair in pigtails. Pink sails will help too. I don't do any of that (or even shave my legs) and I have to pay for my boat all by myself.

Greg
I am kind of preparing for the worse but hoping for the best. That is why I am still at my current job, which is offshore, and still trying to do whatever i can within my financial reach for this purpose.

actually, though, I trust my friend, and i believe in him, and i am almost positive that he will be able to get something rolling. fingers crossed right?

worst case scenario, i already have my boat and then i get everything done, one at a time with limited financial resources, until she and i are ready.
Remember, When there is a Will, there is a Way.

Richard
Old 03-07-2011, 14:26   #14

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

in addition to what Zee has said, a good watermaker would be wise if you are going to try non-stop; a small counter top distiller would probably be a good idea as well (for topping of battery fluid levels). I would also suggest as complete a medical emergency kit as you can get with whatever your level of training is in that area.
Old 03-07-2011, 14:45   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If you want to attract sponsorship, you have to start a blog. Then if it is attractive enough to get a good readership you can start approaching equipment manufacturers for deals on their equipment. Don't count on a lot of financial help unless your blog gets very popular.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation