Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 01:10   #136
Moderator
 
Paul Elliott's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,885
Images: 4
Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
How can a SNC make any sense at all?
Because it's there? Just wanting to do it is reason enough in my book. Life would be pretty boring if we only did things that made sense.

I will admit that I'm generally a pretty sensible guy. And probably a bit boring...
__________________

__________________
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:13   #137
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
Cool Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Because it's there? Just wanting to do it is reason enough in my book. Life would be pretty boring if we only did things that made sense.
Understood.

I think the prevailing feeling, at least mine, is that Richard doesn't know what it is he's saying he'll do; as in the difficulty, and for what? Obviously the "record" means something more to him than me. I hope the benefits outweigh the costs. I've read all the old accounts, and I don't associate the early sailors with their respective countries, but apparently others do.

Here's a little re-cap of SNCs the "wrong" way: 'Wrong way' sailor rounds Cape Horn - CNN

And a summary of all this stuff: Single-handed sailing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The non-stop aspect is the killer for me. Seems quite a waste of effort and resources. Sail past Tahiti and not stop? Nuh uh. Youth is wasted on the young.

Sincerely,

Soul Sucking Bon Vivant
__________________

__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:23   #138
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: Bristol 38.8
Posts: 1,625
Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Because it's there?
Well, that's the same reason I would stop in Tahiti and Bermuda and a hundred other places...because they're there.
__________________
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32   #139
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon

Well, that's the same reason I would stop in Tahiti and Bermuda and a hundred other places...because they're there.
Curmudgeon, you got a new boat! When were you going to tell us about it?
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50   #140
Registered User
 
Richard Z's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houseless but in a home
Posts: 251
Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Understood.

I think the prevailing feeling, at least mine, is that Richard doesn't know what it is he's saying he'll do; as in the difficulty, and for what? Obviously the "record" means something more to him than me. I hope the benefits outweigh the costs. I've read all the old accounts, and I don't associate the early sailors with their respective countries, but apparently others do.

Here's a little re-cap of SNCs the "wrong" way: 'Wrong way' sailor rounds Cape Horn - CNN

And a summary of all this stuff: Single-handed sailing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The non-stop aspect is the killer for me. Seems quite a waste of effort and resources. Sail past Tahiti and not stop? Nuh uh. Youth is wasted on the young.

Sincerely,

Soul Sucking Bon Vivant

But he ended up doing it and nroke the "wrong way" record , didnt he
__________________
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:59   #141
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

there is always a record somewhere for someone to break--even if it is going around ina formosa--and making it non stop......anything can be done. is all a matter of preparation.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:05   #142
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
there is always a record somewhere for someone to break--even if it is going around ina formosa--and making it non stop......anything can be done. is all a matter of preparation.
And the gods need to smile on you a bit.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:22   #143
Registered User
 
DiverChick71's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Complicated
Boat: Fuji 45'
Posts: 237
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz
I have at least one more bitch this eve. Acronyms: they save time, and I like them but they are vastly overused. People use lol as punctuation. Are you really laughing out loud at things you say that often?

Why?
Unless you have the joy of texting your teenage daughters...you have no idea how truly "overused" acronyms (using that world loosely!) can be!!!! How about **"LSDHMSFOAIDMT" ???? Another joy of parenting that has evolved in these techy times!

** laughing so dang hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco.
__________________
Sailing with Mongojo...currently a boat repair blog...hopefully someday a sailing blog!
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25   #144
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

the gods will be smiling--and laughing, especially if ye drop your taco......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:32   #145
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

Nothing new under the sun.

Old riddle-- what did the bulldog say to the poodle? GURAQTINVU.

Thats not thread drift-thats being driven ashore in a storm
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 22:15   #146
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

I think he's from cuba.know one from cuba has ever sailed around the world...most make it to fla. and give up...I dont blame them either why mess up a good thing ....GO USA, DVC.... now dont go and get angry I am just kidding...sort of.
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 00:47   #147
Registered User
 
Richard Z's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houseless but in a home
Posts: 251
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I think he's from cuba.know one from cuba has ever sailed around the world...most make it to fla. and give up...I dont blame them either why mess up a good thing ....GO USA, DVC.... now dont go and get angry I am just kidding...sort of.
No, I wont, actually that wa a good one.
__________________
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50   #148
Registered User
 
HopeFloats's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD
Boat: Mason 43
Posts: 107
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

Hiya Richard,

It helps to be a dreamer with thick skin and a sense of humor ... good for you!

I like the author Paulo Coelho’s saying off Natasza Caban's website:
"The world belongs to people daring to dream and who take the risk to realize their dream, people who try to do it at their best. Remembering that the first obstacle that tries to take away our dreams is Lack of Time, the second is the desire for Certainty, and the third, Inertia."

Some blogs that may be of interest to you:
Solo Circumnavigators

Good indicator you will spend a lot time amazing yourself with self-sufficiency and finding new ways to do things.
__________________
"What am I seeking, out on the sea,
somewhere to go, or someone to be?"
- "Orion", Eileen Quinn
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 09:29   #149
Registered User
 
Richard Z's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houseless but in a home
Posts: 251
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

Does anybody know how to rig a mainsail reefing that can be done from cockpit, thats of course other than im mast furling?
thanks
__________________
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:41   #150
Registered User
 
Richard Z's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houseless but in a home
Posts: 251
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFloats View Post
Hiya Richard,

It helps to be a dreamer with thick skin and a sense of humor ... good for you!

I like the author Paulo Coelho’s saying off Natasza Caban's website:
"The world belongs to people daring to dream and who take the risk to realize their dream, people who try to do it at their best. Remembering that the first obstacle that tries to take away our dreams is Lack of Time, the second is the desire for Certainty, and the third, Inertia."

Some blogs that may be of interest to you:
Solo Circumnavigators

Good indicator you will spend a lot time amazing yourself with self-sufficiency and finding new ways to do things.

Thank you. I apprecuate it. Will keep yoi posted .
__________________

__________________
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
circumnavigation

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.