Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 18:44   #76
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: So You Fall Asleep On Your Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Bearing off is not the thing to do, what happens if the wind lulls? How about a early tack to increase the distance between you and impending doom?

I have an engine and I'm not too proud to turn it on. That is one of the options for doing *everything possible* to avoid a collision. *Everything possible under sail* is not what the maritime law means.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:17   #77
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

On a boat, being the stand-on vessel is only a guideline -- not your right as a boater. ALL boaters' responsibility, the over-arching rule, is to do EVERYTHING possible to avoid a collision. That includes giving way even though you are the stand-on vessel.

I think part of the reasoning here is that the rules are complex and there may not be time to pull out a book and research who's in the right. There are no traffic ligths or lane lines on the sea.
This is an over application of Rule 17 , the rules say that the stand on vessel should stand on. Only of its becomes apparent, that no action is being taken , should it act ( if it can ) , in the Von Humbolt case , the sailing ship cannot respond quickly at that time.

The sailing ship acted completely correctly and was therefore exonerated.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21   #78
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
Colregs really just don't apply when cruising...The day I read an article about a 40ft plastic boat sinking a freighter I will start to think I have some rights while underway..until then I will still exercise the view that it is our responsibility to avoid everything out there.
Of course they do , but for small vessels involved with large vessels I add

Rule 0 - " don't stand on into danger"

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56   #79
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,540
Re: So You Fall Asleep On Your Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I have an engine and I'm not too proud to turn it on. That is one of the options for doing *everything possible* to avoid a collision. *Everything possible under sail* is not what the maritime law means.
Anyone know how long it would actually take to fire up the engine on something like the ship in question?
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:03   #80
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post

Anyone know how long it would actually take to fire up the engine on something like the ship in question?
The main issue would be the sail trim , engine on or not , if she was set aback , it would be trouble

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:13   #81
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,540
Re: So You Fall Asleep On Your Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The sailing ship acted completely correctly and was therefore exonerated
Completely correct as far as the rules go, but there is a little niggling doubt that the skipper might have been a bit too trusting of fishing boats. Possibly if he a little more paranoia about fishing boats not having a great track record for doing what they should then something might have been possible much earlier on.

Or maybe not
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:54   #82
Mooderator
 
capngeo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Key West & Sarasota
Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Posts: 4,211
Images: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: So You Fall Asleep On Your Watch?

I tend to think navigating is a bit like riding a motorcycle; you have to assume everyone else out there is an idiot! I sail a small boat... a CAL28. Pretty much anything out there is bigger than me and will cause me damage in a collision. COLREGS notwithstanding, if the "other guy" has the remote resemblance to an idiot, I stay out of his way!
__________________
Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own! -Capngeo
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56   #83
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: So You Fall Asleep On Your Watch?

Quote:
Completely correct as far as the rules go, but there is a little niggling doubt that the skipper might have been a bit too trusting of fishing boats. Possibly if he a little more paranoia about fishing boats not having a great track record for doing what they should then something might have been possible much earlier on.
But the whole point of the COLREGS is to attempt to remove second guessing from the process. It attempts to establish ground rules for passing situations., and in doing so , puts the onus of action on the 'give way' vessel.

I dont think the captain of the Humbolt was "trusting" of the fishing vessel, what he was doing was following the COLREGS.

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18   #84
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,212
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: So You Fall Asleep On Your Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I tend to think navigating is a bit like riding a motorcycle; you have to assume everyone else out there is an idiot! I sail a small boat... a CAL28. Pretty much anything out there is bigger than me and will cause me damage in a collision. COLREGS notwithstanding, if the "other guy" has the remote resemblance to an idiot, I stay out of his way!
Darn tootin..... If in doubt I go about....
They don't call me 'Chicken Little' for nuthin.....
One collision in my lifetime is one to many... weren't no fun...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:19   #85
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,540
Re: So You Fall Asleep On Your Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I dont think the captain of the Humbolt was "trusting" of the fishing vessel, what he was doing was following the COLREGS.
And look what happened....
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 18:12   #86
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

This is an over application of Rule 17 , the rules say that the stand on vessel should stand on. Only of its becomes apparent, that no action is being taken , should it act ( if it can ) , in the Von Humbolt case , the sailing ship cannot respond quickly at that time.

The sailing ship acted completely correctly and was therefore exonerated.

Dave
Dave, in is case the skipper of the Von Humbolt should have taken earlier action rather than freezing like a deer in headlights. All he did in the movie was to blast a horn which I very much doubt could be heard on the trawler.
As I said before, " It's better to be alive than right"

Sure the trawler was in the wrong, but have AIS and MARAPA on my radar which would have kept me well out of the way of danger..and You? Rule book in hand?
I know who I feel safer with.
Bazzer
__________________

__________________
bazzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.