Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: So You Fall Asleep On Your Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It shoed only a few minutes of video. We all know there are people out there commercial or not, that do @@shole things. It's likely the sailboat saw the fishing boat with it's outriggers extended 10 minutes before the incident. Honestly, a prudent sailor with a bow to beam bearing should fall off a few degrees to avoid this sort of foolishness. I mean, after-all, do you want to be right or do you want your vessel in nice shape?
I agree with Celestial here. Colregs are fine, and should be obeyed. On the other hand, If facing a situation where there is any doubt, I always alter course. Both these ships have radar so they would both have been forewarned that a collision was likely.

I do realize that Tall ships don't turn on a dime, but I can't imagine that a proper lookout on the tall ship wouldn't have noted that trouble was afoot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41   #17

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I agree with Celestial here. Colregs are fine, and should be obeyed. On the other hand, If facing a situation where there is any doubt, I always alter course. Both these ships have radar so they would both have been forewarned that a collision was likely.

I do realize that Tall ships don't turn on a dime, but I can't imagine that a proper lookout on the tall ship wouldn't have noted that trouble was afoot.
There have been cases where last moment course changes by the stand on vesel have caused collisions. This is why good seamanship requires any course changes made to avoid a collision to be made in such a way that they are obvious.
You however can't perform big course changes without a bit of preparation on a big tall ship. I've helmed a tall ship, and making course changes with the sails up is not trivial.
So only small course changes might have been possible, and those might have aggravated the situation...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:12   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
There have been cases where last moment course changes by the stand on vesel have caused collisions. This is why good seamanship requires any course changes made to avoid a collision to be made in such a way that they are obvious.
You however can't perform big course changes without a bit of preparation on a big tall ship. I've helmed a tall ship, and making course changes with the sails up is not trivial.
So only small course changes might have been possible, and those might have aggravated the situation...
KVB - you're right. I've also sailed on tall ships and I do know they require a lot of space and time to turn. I believe even a small course change could have avoided this.

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Here in Asia colregs are stay away from everybody... Especially fishing boats. Nearly been hit a few times by drunk or asleep captains on fishing boats.. They sure are the stand on vessel around here LOL
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The sailing ship did all it could in my opinion, It was clearly a flagrant breach of "adaquate lookout".

justa few points

Quote:
I believe that while the trawler was obviously with fault for not altering course, the tall ship was apparently not trying to frighten the paid passengers that can be seen at end of video, and neglected it's duty to avoid collision at all cost. I do not know all the particulars, but I wonder if there were attempts to hail trawler. There appeared to plenty of time for both vessels to alter course or speed.
There is no onus to "avoid collisions" at "all cost" , ie the sailing ship is not required to put itself in possibly more danger. She could bring her rig down, if she manoeuvred incorrectly.

At the court is was stated that the Humbolt attempted repeated radio contact as well.

People quoting 17b are mistaken, its is not a charter to begin action until very near the end. nor its is clear that the Humbolt wasnt taking some actions at the end.

The fact is again and again, large vessels that "do not stand on" when they are required to do , have been penalised. Its only when you are the significantly smaller boat that I advocate " never stand on into danger"

Quote:
When I am driving a car. I always look both ways after traffic light turns green before starting through intersection. Just because there are rules, does not mean everybody follows them. Defensive driving or sailing. It is just safer and simple, common sense!
I see so everytime you drive down the main road , you stop at minor junctions just to wait and see if someone might shoot out. Yeah right.

The rules of road, where you stop at a stop sign and the main road traffic continues unencumbered is exactly like give way and stand-on at sea ( not withstanding 17b). The implicit assumption is that you follow the rules. And just like on the road, occasionally at sea some fool runs a "red"

Dave
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Both vessels are at fault. The fishing vessel broke Rule 18.

A power driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(i)a vessel not under command;
(ii)a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver;
(iii)a vessel engaged in fishing;
(iv)a sailing vessel;

The sailing vessel is also at fault. Rule 17(b): When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision.

The sailing vessel appeared to do nothing other than blowing its whistle.

It is pretty rare in a collision that one vessel is 100% innocent of breaking a rule.

If it had happened in US waters, Coastie Court would have assigned most of the fault to the fishing vessel but some of the fault to the sailing vessel.
Agreed here.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:55   #22

Boat: Privilege 37

The issue, in my mind is if the fishing vessel helmsman was standing watch, if his nets are out he/she is supposed to keep speed and course. The sailing vessel is obligated to change course. I see the outriggers out, he could be fishing? The sailing vessel "should" have altered course.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:31   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Is it known whether the trawler was exhibiting the correct day shapes for fishing with trawls? If not, he can't expect to be granted the stand on status.

Of course, in my experience, most fishing boats leave those shapes up (and exhibit the night time signals as well) at ALL times, fishing, motoring along while not fishing, anchored and moored. This somewhat diminishes their significance in practice!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-04-2013, 23:33   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have met up with large freighters, fishing vessels and recreation vessels. If we are on a heading that will bring us "comfortably close, I try to raise them on the horn (VHF). If there is no answer, I immediately put myself in the position to avoid any calamity. I had an a-hole out of Ventura, Ca. change course every time I did. This started from over a mile away. At first I thought it was the Coasties. I tacked 4 times and even took my 1 million candle powered light to light up my sail. At the last moment I started the engine and jibed that he could not copy because of his speed. It was then the VHF came alive with..."What's the matter...you don't know the rules of the road"? My reply was..."Which rule was that...to see how close you can come to a vessel under sail"?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 00:48   #25

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have met up with large freighters, fishing vessels and recreation vessels. If we are on a heading that will bring us "comfortably close, I try to raise them on the horn (VHF). If there is no answer, I immediately put myself in the position to avoid any calamity.
That my friend is the only right answer!!

Around Galveston we sail in amongst commercial shipping all the time. Taking a safe heading long before anyone needs to ask what rule applies or who's most restricted makes the sailing more relaxed and avoids the inevitable aggressive outburst when one insists on being right.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18   #26

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
That my friend is the only right answer!!

Around Galveston we sail in amongst commercial shipping all the time. Taking a safe heading long before anyone needs to ask what rule applies or who's most restricted makes the sailing more relaxed and avoids the inevitable aggressive outburst when one insists on being right.

So you see a ship to port, on a collision course. You are the stand on vessel. You come to the conclusion that the other vessel is not going to change it's course, so you turn hard to port in order to pass behind it. Right at that moment the other vessel turns to starboard to pass behind you. Result: You collide anyway.

That is probably how the Corvus J and the Baltic Ace came to run in to each other in the North Sea last december. The Baltic Ace was lost, together with 5 of its crew...

It's not that simple...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:24   #27

Boat: 45' Custom Ted Brewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahquabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you jest!
i have met a few cruising couples that put the radar on and go to bed for the night on ocean passages!
Fair enough, what's the problem?

Ahquabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahquabi View Post
Fair enough, what's the problem?

not that radar!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05   #29

Boat: 45' Custom Ted Brewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahquabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not that radar!
I don't even understand how that would help. If you survive the night you may as well have conserved the batteries. Can radars wake you up?
Ahquabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:19   #30

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahquabi View Post
I don't even understand how that would help. If you survive the night you may as well have conserved the batteries. Can radars wake you up?
Radars have an alarm function that you can set to scream at you if it spots something.

Of course - not everything shows up on radar.............