Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2011, 09:16   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Snubber Hook

Has anyone ever used a hook like this on a chain snubber? It seems like it would not work, but the vendor claims that is what it is for. I have always used the slotted type.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:30   #2

Boat: CS 36t
Re: Snubber hook?

I have used a 2" version of that type of hook to hook into 1.5" mooring chain and it was less than ideal. We used this sort of hook to do the initial hookup to moorings on a boat that I worked on. I would think that with the shorter links used in anchor chain, you would have a lot of difficulty fitting it in.

Undoing it was another problem because the hook has a thick cross section where it goes through the chain link and it tended to jam.

We ended up bending the gate pretty regularly. Another boat actually had theirs release twice so I would think a big lazy loop would still be required.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:34   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Get a true chain hook like this one:

Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Yep, that is the type we currently use. I was just imagining that there was a way to use the other type that I was not getting.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Get a true chain hook like this one:

witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:39   #5

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Using a 30' bridle on our Trimaran... I prefer a rolling hitch, because it works well on the rope OR chain portion of the rode, and doesn't release from sitting on the bottom like a hook can. Otherwise, to snub the chain to a strong cleat before backing down, a chain "fork" is better than a hook. The chain "fork" keeps the link in it's normal orientation, where as a chain "hook" turns the last link sideways, with the potential to damage the chain.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	26605  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:32   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
It seems like it would not work, but the vendor claims that is what it is for.
Hmmmm. A vendor claims that the thing he wants to sell you is the thing you ought to purchase.

Next time this happens, put your hand on your wallet and back out of the room slowly.
Old 26-04-2011, 14:22   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Has anyone ever used a hook like this on a chain snubber? It seems like it would not work, but the vendor claims that is what it is for. I have always used the slotted type.

Chris

How does it unhook afterwards?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 14:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Snubber hook?

It'll work just fine for holding the snubber... but when you need to haul in a hurry for some reason you'll start cussing...
The other type... sans clip... is better.. just slacken the snubber.. a quick shake and your good to start hauling in the chain...
Many things are recommended by folks working in chandlery stores... don't mean coz they sell the stuff they've ever set foot on a boat... never mind used the stuff they're promoting...
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 15:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

We've had this conversation before. I would personally never use anything but a rolling hitch on my snubber. More secure and cheaper than a hook.

I do use a chain hook for my chain safety line, however - in the interest of being able to deply it instantly in case of need.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 15:34   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It'll work just fine for holding the snubber... but when you need to haul in a hurry for some reason you'll start cussing...
The other type... sans clip... is better.. just slacken the snubber.. a quick shake and your good to start hauling in the chain...
Many things are recommended by folks working in chandlery stores... don't mean coz they sell the stuff they've ever set foot on a boat... never mind used the stuff they're promoting...
I agree with boatman61 that the passive drop of the slotted chain hook is easier to deal with. Although I use a U-shaped piece of stainless as a hook that leads to two (port & starboard) snubber lines, the same holds true,- as you weigh anchor the snubber and hook simply drops out of the way.
Old 21-05-2011, 02:49   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Re: Snubber Hook

I have the normal slotted chain hook as shown above and I've only used it handful of times because it's such a pain, am I missing something?

It doesn't roll over the fairlead so requires a fair bit of gymnastics to attach while hanging off the pulpit. Before it gets under tension it easily slips off. After being under tension it can be difficult to remove (again while hanging off the pulpit).

I use a rolling hitch and have found it very trouble free. It easily moves with the chain through the fairlead so I can attached it safely on deck. I don't worry about long bridles either as the main advantage I see is just to take the tension off the windlass and reduce noise from the chain in the fairlead.
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 08:50   #12

Boat: Niagara 35
Cool. I hadn't heard of using a rolling hitch before. How easy is it to untie after being under load? Only time I've used one was to take load off an over-ridden sheet and I needed a marlinspike to get it undone.

I guess for a bridle you could just double the line and tie the hitch?

People also use a longer bridle to give some shock absorbing boing to the rode, significantly reducing peak loads. Only a factor in pretty huge conditions, though.
Old 21-05-2011, 09:35   #13

I use a rolling hitch for a snubber and I have also used one to clear a couple of overrrides. I have never had a problem releasing it.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 09:49   #14

Only once have I had any trouble undoing a rolling hitch. It was after ridding out a nighttime thunderstorm with wind in the 35-40 range for quite some time. It took perhaps a couple of minutes to undo. Of course I could have cut it off in short order if needed.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:19   #15

Always used a forged slotted chain hook with no issues. Just let out your chain rode, tie the snubber to it's cleat, slide it on the chain just forward of the roller, keep a little tension on it and let the chain out until the snubber is tensioned more than the chain. On 41-47 ft boats I used 5/8 3 strand with a nice anti chafing setup on the roller area. Believe me...it stretches out fine in a blow....so put enough slack in your chain.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote