Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-07-2012, 19:54   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Slamming main in calms

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
The slatting offshore or near coastal is the only justification I have found for the STORM TRYSAIL. If you drop your main and put the trysail into the main track, and hoist it as high as you can with the sheet as far aft as possible ( raise or lower a little to get the sail as flat as possible) you will have the best steadying sail known. It is very small in area , and hoisted high makes an almost perfect roll stopper without the noise of a main or mizzen. I have used it at anchor to take all of the violence out of a rolly anchorage , and off shore it works a treat. I have been very dissapointed in trysails for making progress, but they make a truly great roll stopper. My 2 cents worth,____Grant.
Now that sounds like an excellent idea. Plus you don't have to buy or rig any extra kit, just using something that's already there.

Old 23-07-2012, 20:13   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I have seen sailboats at anchor with flopper stoppers out, rigged from a spinnaker pole. I wouldn't think it would take much more to make that setup strong enough for fish. Basically most of the rigging is there, at least on one side. I guess what would be needed is an engineering study. But certainly the standard anchoring flopper stoppers would help in a no wind situation if one is just sitting waiting.
Well if one carries a spinnaker pole. I only carry a whisker pole. I guess it would be possible to rig guys and such to make it work for a flopper stopper. Then the main boom could be rigged for the other side again with the addition of a few extra lines here and there.

That would give you a pair of jury rigged outriggers (say that ten times in a row real fast) but there is still the problem of carrying and stowing a couple of big, weighted fish to hang on the ends. In my boat I just don't have the spare room for a item that would be occasional use and single function as well. Now if I could figure a way to hang them on a halyard and swing them around the boat to repel boarders.

Old 23-07-2012, 20:21   #33

I had read about it in an old sailing book and tried it in a rolly anchorage in Hawaii, and it worked wonderfully, and I tried once at sea and it was great. What ever my next boat will be(hopefully soon) , if it needs a new main , it will be cut with 3 reefs and I will recut the old main as a steadying sail or if it has a good main ,I will pick up an old one and make a steadying sail out of it. It made the differance between having a coffee cup launched across the cabin and being able to set the cup down and not worry about it. Little tricks can make life better.____Grant.
Old 23-07-2012, 20:22   #34

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I have heard that a light air main made of nylon works well. Because nylon stretches there is no slamming load. Also it keeps the boat moving a lot better than a normal main in very light winds, 2-4kt.

The version called the Mainster has the foot and luff loose and the leach is cut hollow so no battens. This minimizes storage space and rigging complexity.
Old 23-07-2012, 20:31   #35
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
A few days here becalmed here and there offshore isn't such a bad thing, quite nice, swim, cook, read, what's the rush. But slatting sails would drive you insane very quickly.
Drives me crazy. The only time I've ever mutinied was on an offshore race when the owner of an Andrews 53 I was crewing on called for leeward weight on the rail when we were becalmed and the *)(*<#&!! kevlar 155% genoa was slating.

Told him exactly where he could stick that sail. (To leeward, of course.)
Old 23-07-2012, 21:40   #36

Boat: C&C 34

As about half the posters have said...DROP-THE-MAIN!
Old 23-07-2012, 22:01   #37

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
preventers dont work in your situation.. its the sail whipping.. drop the main and tie it off, keep your staysail up to keep the roll of the boat down and approach your destination at a different angle,
you may have to do a zig-zag pattern to get back home ..
+1

I agree with this ... if the situation has not improved after setting a preventer, then using the traveler to tighten up ... and tightened sheet.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 01:23   #38

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Hi guys,

Thank you for the input, much appreciated. We are "sailing" down the portugese atlantic coast at the moment and keep losing the wind , the atlantic swell remains though! Hence the post.

Looks like lighter winds ahead for a week now, so will get a chance to try out a few of your suggestions :-( and will report back.

I once saw a yacht in the gulf stream in light winds with twizzle double wing on wing jibs set and a trysail ! This must have been to dampen the roll as mentioned. Thinking about it, it sounds a great et up.

I do have a trysail onboard somewhere.... Isn't it funny how lots of people use 3rd reefs and trysails in calms , another example of things on board having more than one use!!

Charlie.
Old 24-07-2012, 01:37   #39

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Hi guys,

Thank you for the input, much appreciated. We are "sailing" down the portugese atlantic coast at the moment and keep losing the wind , the atlantic swell remains though! Hence the post.

Looks like lighter winds ahead for a week now, so will get a chance to try out a few of your suggestions :-( and will report back.

I once saw a yacht in the gulf stream in light winds with twizzle double wing on wing jibs set and a trysail ! This must have been to dampen the roll as mentioned. Thinking about it, it sounds a great et up.

I do have a trysail onboard somewhere.... Isn't it funny how lots of people use 3rd reefs and trysails in calms , another example of things on board having more than one use!!

Charlie.
We sailed from South Africa to Brazil using double Genoa (one to port one to starboard) ... was fantastic sailing but in light winds the one tended to collapse into the other
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 01:44   #40

No problem. If changing course and sail trim cannot quiet the sails I take them all in. Either sleep until the wind comes back, or sand and varnish something, clean the bilges, whatever.
Old 24-07-2012, 13:08   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Lots of great ideas!
Thanks for this thread. I really like the idea of a lightwind main made of spinnaker material but the other ideas are equally as great.
kind regards,
Old 24-07-2012, 16:05   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I too appreciate this thread. Next time I am slatting I am going to triple reef the main and then tighten the staysail in one place and see if I can get through it. Blowing the main and motoring always seemed the the chicken way out- and a lot more rocky.
Old 24-07-2012, 19:04   #43

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Has anyone tried using a rubber or bungy on the preventer and mainsheet to reduce the shock loads on the mainsail and boom when slatting in light airs? Read about it once but I have never tried it, seems like it should work.
Old 25-07-2012, 06:26   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Has anyone tried using a rubber or bungy on the preventer and mainsheet to reduce the shock loads on the mainsail and boom when slatting in light airs? Read about it once but I have never tried it, seems like it should work.
That still doesn't prevent the sail from slatting though
Old 25-07-2012, 06:47   #45

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Very true, but the elasticity should reduce much of the jarring shock loads that make it so hard on the nerves and the gear. Often you have a decent sailing wind, but the odd swell will still knock the wind out of the sails every minute or so. A bit of stretch in the system might stop it jarring everything quite as unpleasantly. Just a thought...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: