Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 16-10-2014, 05:29   #196

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Re: Skipper's Duty Towards Refugees

Tortoises have no road sense... I see a lot more flat tortoises on the road to Casa Ping than I see flat echidnas.... mind you I did once run an echidna over.... totally totaled a tyre...

That Rebel Heart bloke was able to solicit donations.... how do I set that up? Give generously... Westerly and pet echidna to support.....

Seriously though...everyone should watch the doco at that link I posted......

Old 16-10-2014, 05:33   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
well, she was politely telling you to be quite or rudely telling you to shut ya moth.

Now, about them turtles. Sorry, tortoises! tortoises have no place on a boat. Their land luvers and that's where they should stay. Now if they are using the boat to move between lands, well that would be illegal given there is no United nations conventions on tortoises as refugees..
I tried.
I really tried.
Poor Tortoises.

Now you have incurred the wrath of Terrible Tort. You can tell him yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	animal-tortoise-turtle-ucumari.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	89798  

Old 16-10-2014, 05:34   #198
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
well, she was politely telling you to be quite or rudely telling you to shut ya moth.
She may have been saying such but I'm saying a sea loving turtle shouldn't keep it's mouth shut if he / she has witnessed a tort - especially if it against land loving tortoises

and
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-10-2014, 05:35   #199

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Turtles have no road sense... I see a lot more flat turtles on the road to Casa Ping than I see flat echidnas.... mind you I did once run an echidna over.... totally totaled a tyre...

That Rebel Heart bloke was able to solicit donations.... how do I set that up? Give generously... Westerly and pet echidna to support.....

Seriously though...everyone should watch the doco at that link I posted......
Documentary can only be viewed in Australia. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 16-10-2014, 05:38   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Documentary can only be viewed in Australia. Sorry 'bout that.
Thats a shame... its all about what the italians are doing about the people coming over from Libya... picking them up off the Libyan coast... and treating them in a humane way...
Old 16-10-2014, 05:39   #201

oh and sorry about mixing up my torts and turts... bit like calling an echidna a hedgehog I guess....
Old 16-10-2014, 05:46   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

The old joke there, is, "what's the difference between an Echidna and a BMW?"

The pricks are on the outside of an echidna.

Coops.
Old 16-10-2014, 05:48   #203
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
oh and sorry about mixing up my torts and turts... bit like calling an echidna a hedgehog I guess....
I do like a good hedgehog Hedgehog Slice | Bakers' Corner
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-10-2014, 05:56   #204

Boat: I Want A Catalac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
If I ever encountered a situation described by the OP and had a feeling that they were in trouble........ Gut check time!

Call in the present Lat/Long of the vessel.

Type of vessel.

Approx: number of people

Present condition of vessel with sea state.

Stand off close enough to keep an eye the boat, but far enough to hopefully discourage anyone from trying to swim at me?

If the boat goes down, I think you must try help save who you can. Children first. Toss over whatever you can to at least help as many survivors stay afloat as long as possible. Keep your vessel as safe as possible in the process. You can't expect to save them all...... (most likely)

I would sleep better knowing that I did what ever I could. I don't know how anyone could motor/sail away from a situation like that.
Old Snipe, Old Boats here.
You have expressed my opinion as well as I could, if not better.
Thanks, and here I stand.
Old 16-10-2014, 05:59   #205

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino
Thats a shame... its all about what the italians are doing about the people coming over from Libya... picking them up off the Libyan coast... and treating them in a humane way...
Sorry Australia but you have no moral high ground. You ship your asylum seekers to Cambodia.
Old 16-10-2014, 06:07   #206
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
bouche ferme ?

Is that rude?

means shut your gob in frog
Old 16-10-2014, 23:49   #207

Apologies to the moderators, at this point I'm only responding to the posts clearly directed at my comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
No. You don't.

Judging by your posts, you are no attorney. That means you don't know the law any better than any other layman.

Even if you do know the law, you don't know the law beyond the horizon, as pointed out by the women from the Middle East.

Believing the things you believe leads to anger, doesn't it?
You are right, I'm not an attorney, but I know enough to understand how this piece of law works and its implications (I like to believe I'm smarter than any other layman).
I still don't see how your point of the middle eastern women fits in this discussion..
I've lots of anger, but not as you might think against the refugees, I'd do the exact same if I were in their shoes. My anger is entirely toward the European governments that allow that to happen and often threats refugees better than its own citizens (I know many personal examples).
At the risk of opening another can of worms, many south european governments are so brokenly run that they create the perfect ecosystem for criminals of all sort to flourish. People around the world know this and even refugees go selectively in different countries based on what their intent is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Plain and simple - Tasmania is an Australian state and Australia is well aware of refugees, migrants, illegal migrants etc. In one form or another, we have had these people here for the past 200 years. Almost all Australians hold a view on these subjects but as you would expect that view varies a lot

2nd point, it is very easy to critical of the refugees but IMO, it is better to be critical after you have walked a mile in their shoes, until then, a consistent moral position is warranted.
I know nothing about migrants in Australia, so no comments here other than migrations are not necessarily equal or even similar around the world.

on the 2nd point, as mentioned above, I'd do the same if I were in their shoes. That does not make it right though. If I were to make the rules, no refugee will set foot on my country before s/he has been vetted and granted right to stay (the same way it works for everyone else who travels, you first get a visa and then enter a country, not viceversa)
Old 17-10-2014, 00:06   #208

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by itnem80 View Post
You are right, I'm not an attorney, but I know enough to understand how this piece of law works and its implications (I like to believe I'm smarter than any other layman? I've lots of anger, but not as you might think against the refugees, I'd do the exact same if I were in their shoes. My anger is entirely toward the European governments that allow that to happen and often threats refugees better than its own citizens (I know many personal examples). At the risk of opening another can of worms, many south european governments are so brokenly run that they create the perfect ecosystem for criminals of all sort to flourish. People around the world know this and even refugees go selectively in different countries based on what their intent is.i know nothing about migrants in Australia, so no comments here other than migrations are not necessarily equal or even similar around the world.

on the 2nd point, as mentioned above, I'd do the same if I were in their shoes. That does not make it right though. If I were to make the rules, no refugee will set foot on my country before s/he has been vetted and granted right to stay (the same way it works for everyone else who travels, you first get a visa and then enter a country, not viceversa)
no, no, no, you are definitely NOT smarter than any other 'layman'.

Look, your last comment that you suggest you could make the better rules than your/those governments. Do you not understand, that if 'refugees' were able to do all you are suggesting, they wouldn't necessarily be 'refugees', but mere immigrants. the whole logic around being a 'refugee' is that you are fleeing something or can't retirn due to a fear of something.

I'm sorry but, without calling your a racist, because I really don't know you and I suspect your just not very informed, but what you are spouting is simply common anti immigration policies so common with bigots/racists. You would love Australia at the moment. Today our government released a banner making it clear, Refugees will not make Australia home.
Old 17-10-2014, 00:11   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Sorry Australia but you have no moral high ground. You ship your asylum seekers to Cambodia.
As an Australian, please forgive the heartless, bigoted government we have in Australia and unfortunately the great number of Australians we have who are very racist. It's an embarrassment.

But, please don't think that all Australians have sips his low ethics or don't care about people. I'm convinced the great majority of Australians are a lot more open, humane and moral than what you may be hearing overseas.

(Though I can't for the life of me see what that video has to do with you criticizing Australia?)
Old 17-10-2014, 00:15   #210

Quote:
I tried.
I really tried.
Poor Tortoises.

Now you have incurred the wrath of Terrible Tort. You can tell him yourself.
Oh boy only a mother could love that head.

Tags
skipper

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: