Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 23:21   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Singlehanded sailing book recommendations

Old solo sailors never die.

They just smell that way.
Old 30-07-2018, 01:02   #32

Boat: offshore 8 meter

hi, ive done over 50,000 miles offshore ,mostly singlehanded, includng 7 atlantic crossings, there are some good books , that i have in my collection , desperate voyage, john caldwell, fight of the firecrest ,. in quest of the sun , gospel of the sun , alain gerbault. escape to the sea fred rebel, he sailed across the pacific in an open dinghy and made his own sextant, trecca around the world john guzzwell, he did it in a 21 footer. you have already done the hard bit, going to sleep with no one on watch , thats the biggest psychological hurdle, having spoken to many long distance sailors most of us get a bit nervous setting out on a long trip after time ashore,but this goes as soon as we cast off, dont read donald crowhust, as he commited himself to a goal he could never achive, and he couldnt back out because it was so public. he didnt have the mental attitude, and you cannot sail away from your problems. and get ais for peace of mind. also watch the dove, a film about robin lee graham sailing around the world as a teenager. and google laura dekker, regards.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 01:22   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
and get ais for peace of mind.
And radar with a LOUD alarm! (IMHO).

Mental attitude is an interesting one, golden globe racer , 3 times on everest summit so obviously a very tough cookie, but couldn't handle sailing alone for weeks -

Quote:
and adventurer Kevin Farebrother who pulled out of the Race on Sunday, disillusioned by solo sailing and lack of sleep,
Kevin Fairbrother pulls out of Golden Globe Race - MySailing.com.au

I love it! And probably sleep more overall mid ocean than on land

"Stress free sailing" - good link, downloaded - ta.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 04:16   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanshoretiga View Post
I don't know why the focus on mental illness. Solo sailing can be good for lots of things
The focus on mental illness may come from the fact that some people may need more brain stimulation than sea, sky, navigating, and maintaining.

That plus the lack of sleep for some could cause problems
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 05:26   #35
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The hallucinations and confusion from long solo sailing

are perfectly normal responses to lack of variety in sensory stimulation and sleep deprivation

not due to mental illness
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 05:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

are perfectly normal responses to lack of variety in sensory stimulation and sleep deprivation

The point is if you are on the edge a bit the experience of solo sailing could cause problems to become more evident that were before somewhat hidden

Crowhurst is a good example of this

Btw, when you get your first boat and just anchor out alone for a weekend or for a week I think you'll realize how different it really is.

It's a bit strange at first especially with no Comms except VHF
Old 30-07-2018, 06:03   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Always been a disappointment that I've never experienced any in the slightest, even after a month. Was looking forward to that Well once, heard mumbling about cricket coming from somewhere. Turned out the ssb receiver had turned itself on to the cricket commentary on BBC world service when there still was some
Old 30-07-2018, 13:48   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Go to Webb Chiles' web site, hit "logs" at the top and download The Fifth Circle. A good read. Then visit other areas of his web site.

http://www.inthepresentsea.com/

Some good reading there!

John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:11   #39

Boat: Westsail 32

If it's not already been recommended read "Dove" about the adventure s of Robin Grahmn.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:59   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Thanks to those who have mentioned my book Singlehanded Sailing; Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics
I've covered as much of the mental stuff as I could possibly cover, including emotions, hallucinations, crying, sleeping deprivation, and really important is the spiritual aspects of singlehanding. It's funny that the book has been referenced in a book about famous psychologist Carl Jung and another book on ocean psychology.

I have always held that the difference between singlehanding and crewed sailing is not about the technical aspects, but completely about the mental aspects. Things are mighty different when you have to do everything by yourself.
Old 01-08-2018, 13:58   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
I have always held that the difference between singlehanding and crewed sailing is not about the technical aspects, but completely about the mental aspects. Things are mighty different when you have to do everything by yourself.

Though on the technical side lot can be covered in a few words - better looking at it than looking for it ...
Old 01-08-2018, 15:12   #42

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I once needed to deliver my newly purchased boat the length of Lake Ontario, a short passage of just 150 miles. I did not want to go alone. I called everyone I could think of, and finally my father agreed to come. He didn't know how to sail and was sick the whole time. When we arrived in Kingston, he handed the head rope ashore and stated that it was the first and only thing he had done to help the entire trip (3 days, 2 nights), and he wondered why I had wanted crew when I could everything myself.

Many times I have taken guests out on my boat, and sometimes even strangers, just so I would not be sailing alone. I am proud of my solo accomplishments, but rather have someone to talk to, even if we aren't talking.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:05   #43

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Always been a disappointment that I've never experienced any in the slightest, even after a month. Was looking forward to that Well once, heard mumbling about cricket coming from somewhere. Turned out the ssb receiver had turned itself on to the cricket commentary on BBC world service when there still was some
Old 02-08-2018, 11:49   #44
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
... Many times I have taken guests out on my boat, and sometimes even strangers, just so I would not be sailing alone. I am proud of my solo accomplishments, but rather have someone to talk to, even if we aren't talking.

In my case, more often it's been my young daughter.

The truth is, I've done lost of singlehanded miles, but I really don't enjoy it after 2-3 days. That's enough alone time, and the psychological challenge does not interest me. As for the technical challenge, that's is just a matter of being well organized, good at planning far in advance, and good at fixing anything. It gets pretty easy with enough practice.

My thoughts on the subject:

https://amzn.to/2AHVaDo
Old 02-08-2018, 12:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
If it's not already been recommended read "Dove" about the adventure s of Robin Grahmn.
Yeah, but remember he couldn't wait to get off of that boat.

They barely were able to get him to finish sailing around the world.

Actually, I believe his second book may be more interesting than the first one ....The Dove.

The second book tells of his readjustment once he got back to Los Angeles. It was a rough adjustment. He ended up in Montana where I believe he still lives today

If I remember correctly, he was given a car by some group or company but he didn't know how to drive.

Tags
men, sail, sailing, single