Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 04:44   #16
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Single vs Dual Wheel. Pro vs Con?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
Care to expand on your first statement above?

Regarding the second part in bold, in my mind, you simply contradicted yourself here. First you tell me it is great because it is huge and can be reach from everywhere, but then you followed it by telling me it is so freaking big it gets on your way of moving around?

BTW, I don't have any interest invested in either design. Simply asking out of curiosity. Thanks for all the points. BTW, how often does one have issues with cables breaking on the wheel arrangement that one breaking is such a serious issue? I mean, in a 10-15 year old production boat like a beneteau, catalina, or jenneau.
Can't help with the three brands mentioned, but being quite familiar with one other production brand, Bavaria, I can say, that we have no cables there at all, only a solid thick pushrod, so no breaking issues expected there. Wait.. there is a vertical chain between wheel axle and bottom sprockets, but that one is well oversized for the job, so likely not what you asked..

As for the big wheel 'contradiction' I understand, that btrayfors meant two different use scenarios - during sailing (easy to reach) and in port (obstacle in a cockpit). In fact he clearly states so in his post.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:32   #17

Boat: Mason 43

After 50+ years of sailing I still can't say if I prefer the high side or the low side. I guess it depends on how I feel that day but I can do either from my centered 42" wheel and 12' beam. Redundancy is good but I don't see the dual helms as redundant, just additional expense and something else to break.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 07:02   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Dual tillers not bad either. The dual rudder /single post / split tillers are also excellent solution. So much depends on what the boat is actually like and how she is to be used.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 04:19   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I've had both - currently a dual wheel Jeanneau. Much easier when docking. Lots more room when at the dock and certainly much easier when you change helmsman.

I guess I like it - there seem to be more advantages than disadvantages
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel