Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 05:54   #46

Boat: Catalina 25' (1970)
Re: Single-Handed Docking Help

I have a line always on my midship cleats, When I approach the dock under motor, I impulse back to stop moving, get up and make the midship line off on a cleat on the dock, then I go reverse on the motor, which swings the stern towards the dock. You can do this if you are stopping somewhere temporarily easily. Next, you'd make off the stern leading aft, and the bow leading forward. Fairly straightforward under motor. Sailing onto the dock, well that's a different story...
omgitsgela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 06:11   #47

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Robship has a cool gadget that might be usefull to shorthanded sailors:

Hook & Moor

I've tried it myself, and it does work.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 12:57   #48

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Any chance you can trade positions with the owner of the power boat? Maybe he and his boat are set up to better handle the windward side of the slip.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 13:15   #49

If it were me I'd run a line or two all the way along the side of the starboard dock. Use it as a grab hold, loop a spring line around it to keep your bow from blowing off while backing out, etc. As for your neighbor, encourage him to hang lots of fenders off his starboard side.

best of luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 01:44   #50
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
If it were me I'd run a line or two all the way along the side of the starboard dock. Use it as a grab hold, loop a spring line around it to keep your bow from blowing off while backing out, etc. As for your neighbor, encourage him to hang lots of fenders off his starboard side.

best of luck

I agree with you except I don't expect my neighbors to have to protect themselves from my boat. I have two pilings along my slip; my stern can swing between the two of them enough to hit the boat to my starboard. So I have a stout line between those two pilings to keep that from happening. Then from the most forward piling, I have a stout line going to a cleat on the main dock. That goes off at about a 45º angle and keeps my bow from swinging into my neighbor's boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:42   #51

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

We took our Northstar 80/20 out for the first time yesterday. It wasn't quite single-handed, but given our lack of experience with a boat that size it may as well have been. I've gotta admit, I'm not as worried about docking as I am about getting out. We've got a less-than-ideal slip for getting in and out, and the boat seems to want to go all over the place when it's trying to reverse. At least going in, we can make sure we hit the dock. >_>

Tags
Docking, docking