Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 10:19   #16

Re: Sillly Me, I Tried Racing Single-Handed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Yes, the wind was excellent for racing. Practically a hurricane out there. My wind instruments are inoperative at this time, so I couldn't give you a reading. I'd probably exaggerate it, anyway.

I have done some racing in the past. I'm fairly familiar with this particular course, and I know the rules, it was the single-handing in a wind big enough to broach the smaller boats that eventually caused me to leave early.

Next time I go out, I'll fly a chicken from my flag halyard.
Ha! and apologies, somehow I blew by the fact that you were single handing....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 10:24   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post

Rules of the Road You don't have to memorize the rulebook. If you know that port yields to starboard and windward yields to leeward, you are most of the way there. If in doubt, tell the other boat your intentions.

If in doubt, Yield Rights of way are one thing, but you don't want to hurt yourself or your boat insisting on it. If in doubt, leave some room at a rounding. Wait until you've gained some confidence with the format to be a hard-...
Racing is often a "close combat" sport. This especially occurs at starting lines and course markers/buoys. This is where ignorance or non-instant recollection of the rules will get you in trouble. Starboard-port/leeward-windward is just the start.

The easiest way to get a DNF is not to completely comprehend the racing instructions.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 10:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Racing is often a "close combat" sport. This especially occurs at starting lines and course markers/buoys. This is where ignorance or non-instant recollection of the rules will get you in trouble. Starboard-port/leeward-windward is just the start.

The easiest way to get a DNF is not to completely comprehend the racing instructions.
I agree that you want to know the rules but, as an entirety, they can be a bit overwhelming at first. Therefore it is helpful for a beginner to focus on the most important few at first. If you can't remember whether an overlap two or three boat lengths to the mark requires you to give room, give room anyway. Life is too short to get t-boned for asserting your rights. Of course you have to know the Racing Instructions, which are usually self-explanatory. I was talking about the racing rules.
CBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 11:01   #19

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Thanks, CB. You obviously are very well versed. Many of the things you mentioned in your last post I did not know.

I posted my experience mostly for fun. I don't take racing - or myself - all that seriously. But I am always happy to learn something new. I always learn something from the little bit of racing I do, and I always enjoy it. I have learned, for example, to stay out of the way of the serious racers. I will gladly yield the inside position on any turn, even if I have the right to it.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 12:29   #20

Boat: Catalina 25 TR/FK

Dennis,

Your dimensions:

Dimensions of Ericson 32-200 (phrf)

Looks like your rating is going to be Ericson 32-200 156

SOURCE: http://www.yra.org/PHRF/docs/ncphrf_baserates.pdf

Another sources puts it at Ericson 30-2 41 13.3 36 10 8990 25.37 5.8 162

San Francisco Bay Sailing - PHRF Ratings

There will be some corrections and allowances you can take for things like no spin, roller furling with UV strip, folding prop etc.

I would run with the 162. I can't imagine a club turning down a boat because it isn't measured. See if they have a PHRF rating sheet like ours here"

Bay View Yacht Club

You can also see a list of common adjustments and values on the right.
PCP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 13:43   #21

Racing a sailboat is without a doubt the best way to ruin what should be a good experience..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 07:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Racing a sailboat is without a doubt the best way to ruin what should be a good experience..
I completely disagree, it's a terrific learning experience, to learn about how to optimize your boat and I learn many things learning from other sailors.

I am about to enter this race on a friend's Ranger 29. A 150 mile race from Galveston to Port Aransas. Over 230 boats entered. It is going to be AWESOME!

Harvest Moon Regatta® - Home
Old 23-10-2012, 07:47   #23

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Thanks very much, PCP. We were looking at some PHRF ratings online before the start of the regatta on Saturday. Turns out there is a consideration for a wing keel, too. I've got one of those...it holds better than an SQR...or so I've been told. :-)
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 14:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Thanks very much, PCP. We were looking at some PHRF ratings online before the start of the regatta on Saturday. Turns out there is a consideration for a wing keel, too. I've got one of those...it holds better than an SQR...or so I've been told. :-)

LOL!

Yeah, most clubs will assign you a PHRF and then you can talk to them about exceptions. More informal races will just ask.

The previous owner of my Catalina 25 was very serious about racing, so not only did I end up with 8 winches (Yes 8, 4 cabin top and 4 in the cockpit) and a cabin house traveler, but my sail numbers were not my hull number, they were my PHRF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steph.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	48681  

Tags
racing, singlehanding