Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 14:18   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 584
Should I Install a Mainsheet Traveller ?

My boat, a 34 ft cutter, currently has the mainsheet attached to the boom end and the wooden boomkin, sure it's out of the way, but it's prone to twisting the sheet and the blocks. I have been thinking of upgrading to a mainsheet traveller in the cockpit, similar to a Westsail 32, as a improvement.
Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Will it affect the weather helm? Etc?
Baz
__________________

__________________
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 14:47   #2
Registered User
 
sy_gilana's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On board
Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Posts: 1,101
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

Hi, I hate travellers, they're such unsociable things. Be careful to not load the boom too far forward if the clew is pulling at the end. This could cost you a boom. I would look at the twin sheet system, where a multi-part tackle is suspended from the boom leading to two deck mounted sheaves with jam-cleats and snap shackles. This way, you have one as a kicker, and one as a sheet, reversing on opposite tack, also you can clip one forward to the rail, as a preventer, and bring the windward one to the lee for downwind work. This system is fantastic, I wish I had it, but I have seen it and used it.
__________________

__________________
Tight sheets to ya.
http://gilana.org
sy_gilana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 15:09   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 584
Thanks for the reply. I have a great Dutchman Boom Brake already fitted, I have used a traveller in the past and like them. My boom is very sturdy but very long. Moving to where I think it would go would move the blocks about four feet along the boom. I dont think this would much of a problem
__________________
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 15:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

You do not need the traveler if you have an efficient boom vang. You do not need a boom vang if you have an efficient traveler system.


b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 15:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Boat: Cal 40
Posts: 2,401
Images: 7
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

Where the center of effort of the sail is determines how much helm, where you pull on it has no effect on helm, just how hard it is to pull in the sail.

There might be things you can do to minimize tangling the current system. Are the blocks on springs to hold them up? Are they on universals so they can pivot?

John
__________________
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 16:37   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 584
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Where the center of effort of the sail is determines how much helm, where you pull on it has no effect on helm, just how hard it is to pull in the sail.

There might be things you can do to minimize tangling the current system. Are the blocks on springs to hold them up? Are they on universals so they can pivot?

John
I have a single block on each side of the boomkin and a double on the end of the boom, the sheet then runs forward to a couple of blocks and then back to a cabin top 5 inch winch...The problem lies with the fact that one of the blocks always seems to twist, just a pain when I want to let the mainsheet out in light wind...
__________________
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 16:46   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 774
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

34', yes a traveler will help. Will it be in the way? Yes.
__________________

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 16:58   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Boat: Cal 40
Posts: 2,401
Images: 7
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
I have a single block on each side of the boomkin and a double on the end of the boom, the sheet then runs forward to a couple of blocks and then back to a cabin top 5 inch winch...The problem lies with the fact that one of the blocks always seems to twist, just a pain when I want to let the mainsheet out in light wind...
Again, is the block on a swivel? If it isn't it doesn't take much twist in the line to pull the block out of alignment and bind. If it is free to rotate then the block will line up with the twist in the line, but you can still eventually have problems. If you feed braided line in with twists, then the block will eventually rotate until the sheet is wrapped around itself. So once in a while you have to undo the twists if you weren't careful about them going in in the first place.

Laid line is right out.

John
__________________
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:02   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 584
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Again, is the block on a swivel? If it isn't it doesn't take much twist in the line to pull the block out of alignment and bind. If it is free to rotate then the block will line up with the twist in the line, but you can still eventually have problems. If you feed braided line in with twists, then the block will eventually rotate until the sheet is wrapped around itself. So once in a while you have to undo the twists if you weren't careful about them going in in the first place.

Laid line is right out.

John
Yep, both the boomkin blocks are on swivels. I twist the mainsheet it unwinds itself, but only to twist again a little later! This system also puts a high load on the wooden boomkin whereas a traveller would eliminate this problem.
Baz
__________________
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:03   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 584
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

I'll post some pictures next time I am at the boat
__________________
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Boat: Cal 40
Posts: 2,401
Images: 7
Re: Should I install a mainsheet traveller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Yep, both the boomkin blocks are on swivels. I twist the mainsheet it unwinds itself, but only to twist again a little later! This system also puts a high load on the wooden boomkin whereas a traveller would eliminate this problem.
Baz
I don't think you'll change the load much. Mainsheet loose, rig load on backstay. As you pull on the mainsheet you share the rig load between the mainsheet block and the backstay. Total load on the boomkin remains the same.

John
__________________

__________________
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schionning Wild Cat 350 Mkii - Should I Buy ? Tonys tank Multihull Sailboats 41 30-06-2016 05:12
Cost-Sharing Crew ? What Should You Pay ? Dondon462 Commercial Posts 23 30-04-2012 07:11
Liveaboard in the Med - Should We ? cathunter Liveaboard's Forum 12 22-03-2012 03:38
Newbie - Help with OpenCpn install/fail to launch gaffers OpenCPN 1 04-03-2012 04:47
Should Plywood Boats be Sealed Both Sides ? doocruiser Construction, Maintenance & Refit 19 01-03-2012 18:13



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.