Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-05-2016, 05:11   #1

Boat: C & C 33
Self taught sailing

A friend of mine thinks that by watching YouTube videos and trying one sail at a time Genoa and then Mainsail and lastly Spinnaker you can teach yourself to sail. Anyone done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 03-05-2016, 05:25   #2

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Re: Self taught sailing

I did it but without the help of youtube since it was in the 80's and early 90's.

I also used both sails while learning then the spinnaker later after I bought a boat that had a spinnaker

I did it on a dinghy and a Hobie 16 then started racing (as Skipper on my boat) which really teaches you tons especially if you hate losing

I used this chart:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sail...9hZkWnTRoKM%3A

And these books plus tons of time on the water and lots more books on racing and lots of racing:

http://www.amazon.com/Catamaran-Sail.../dp/039331880X

http://www.amazon.com/Catamaran-Raci.../dp/1880871009

I've seen Dave Calvert (his name appears on the front of this book, one of the experts) post on CF before. I believe he is a sailmaker as well as a very good sailor)

I was also lucky enough to race against Carlton Tucker, Randy Smyth, and Bob Curry

Old 03-05-2016, 05:30   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

i am doing it just like your friend.

in teachings of prominent sailors is lots of woodo and you can do better, i am hoping.

Just look at example of impact of fixed mast on airflow. Thinking about it has reversed recently. You can find details in more detailed air flow analysis on internet.

Intuition is something not to ignore.

see this trim that influenced me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sail.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	123608  
Old 03-05-2016, 06:02   #4

Different people learn in different ways. Most especially with physical activities like sailing. So for some people it might be completely impossible to learn on their own. For others it might be quite easy. It really depends on the person.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:19   #5
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Self taught sailing

If one of your concerns is.. "How do you know where the winds coming from.??"
Take a Course...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:45   #6

No lessons . We bought a 34 foot sloop , every weekend we motored several miles offshore and hoisted the sails . It worked for us as we lived aboard for twenty years and cruised the Carib for 13 years . Use main and jib , forget the spinnaker for the first several years !
Old 03-05-2016, 06:51   #7

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322

A friend of mine thinks that by watching YouTube videos and trying one sail at a time Genoa and then Mainsail and lastly Spinnaker you can teach yourself to sail. Anyone done this?

-I took a one-week class, just bought a boat, and am learning as I go. It's very exciting but can really pucker you up at times!
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:56   #8

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I bought a Mirror dinghy kit in the early 70s. Didn't know how to sail, nor how to build anything. The kit came with a how to build book and a how to sail book. Worked out OK.
Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:04   #9

Boat: Com-Pac 27

I agree that it can be done as I'm doing it now. Read a LOT before I got started. The statement that people learn differently is also very true. The wife does not seem to pick it up as easily. I'm talking about feeling the wind and visualizing what is happening. I'm no pro, but am improving over the 4 months of sailboat ownership. I keep going back to reading to fine tune things.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I am also self taught from the days before the internet. Started with zero knowledge and zero experience. Went out with two experienced friends on a two week cruise to the Bahamas, fell in love, came home and started reading. The only other experience I had was crewing on a seven day delivery from the Bahamas back to FL.

Came home from that and studied some more then took off on a 36' Morgan and cruised the Caribbean and east coast for two years before coming home for a break. Even taught myself celestial. After
Old 03-05-2016, 07:53   #11

I was reading the Sunday classifieds way back in the day when I saw a Catalina 22 for sale at a local lake in NC. I thought, "Hey I have always wanted to learn to sail". I went and bought the boat having never sailed a day in my life just by looking at it. I went home and went to the library and read as much as I could. Then took a day off work about a week later. Motored out to a cove to get away from the marina and dropped the anchor. In very little wind I practiced putting up the sails and watching what was happening then pulled the anchor up and went sailing. Learned a lot that first year!! The next year I went and took the ASA bareboat liveaboard class and realized everything I didn't know!
Old 03-05-2016, 08:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm2fly View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yeah, it can be done but you'll make more mistakes like not starting with the main sail.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:53   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Many things can be self taught. The question is why.

IMHO one can learn faster, better, with a tutor.

b.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:04   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Its quite possible to teach yourself to sail. The method will be individual to however you decide to do it. The one sail at a time method is just one possible way.

A class though may very well teach you things not in your books or outside of yourself discovery. A class can also validate your self guided lessons or help you understand concepts you might struggle with. I think classes can be very useful. But I dont think one has to take them!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:35   #15

I learned from reading and making mistakes on my own boat and I dont recommend it at all. Dont neglect reading and videos, but take some lessons and your learning curve will be much shorter. Crew on as many different boats as you can, because each skipper will have a little different methods and you can figure out what works for you. Something that is often a sticky subject is couples learning together, when one is more enthused than the other. I think (just my opinion) that it is better to have the wife,girlfriend/S.O. take lessons separately .A Newbie skipper trying to teach someone how to sail when the skipper barely knows what is going on can put huge strains on a relationship. My opinions come from enough deep water miles to have done a circumnavigation (havent done that) and years of living aboard in the cruising community. Of course like everything on this forum, it is just an opinion. ____Grant.

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: