Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 20:25   #1

Securing Rope Anchor Rode

I have a chain/rope anchor rode. I've only ever had to use the chain, but I'm expecting to use the rope on my next trip, with deeper anchorages expected.

I normally use a rope snubber on the chain to avoid noise and take the strain off the capstan.

My question - how do I take the strain off the capstan if I'm using the rope. (Note, I have a cat, so the cleats are too awkward to use).

I've thought about some way of using my snubber by looping the anchor rode or finding some bit of gear that can securely grab the rope.

Any suggestions?
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 20:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Securing Rope Anchor Rode

Use a thinner bit of line to tie a rolling hitch or a prusik to the rode. Tie off the other end of the thinner line and ease out on the rode until the capstan is unloaded.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 21:44   #3

Boat: Niagara 35

where do you usually tie the snubber? Can't you just tie the anchor rode to the same place?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 22:19   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
where do you usually tie the snubber? Can't you just tie the anchor rode to the same place?
He needs to use a bridle. Benz had the right answer.

In lieu of the rolling hitch, you could also use Dyneema loops to form a Prussic knot, and shackle them to the chain hook(s) on your bridle.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 01:01   #5

Perfect! Thanks very much guys, the Prusik knot looks like the answer, together with the bridle.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

In lieu of the rolling hitch, you could also use Dyneema loops to form a Prussic knot, and shackle them to the chain hook(s) on your bridle.
Rat tail stopper would also work well, no?
Caribbean Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:52   #7

Quote:

Ahhh... gotcha. Guess I'm just a silly monohull sailor...
Old 14-03-2012, 14:53   #8

pardon me but I must inform you there is only one rope on a sailboat and it has nothing to do with the anchor
xiabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 16:41   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
I have a chain/rope anchor rode. I've only ever had to use the chain, but I'm expecting to use the rope on my next trip, with deeper anchorages expected.

I normally use a rope snubber on the chain to avoid noise and take the strain off the capstan.

My question - how do I take the strain off the capstan if I'm using the rope. (Note, I have a cat, so the cleats are too awkward to use).

I've thought about some way of using my snubber by looping the anchor rode or finding some bit of gear that can securely grab the rope.

Any suggestions?

Easy to rig a bridle for a cat by attaching two lengths of line from appropriate points on the boat (typically bow cleats or other appropriate heavy thru-bolted fitting) then secured to the rope portion of the rode using a rolling hitch.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 17:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Look on the anchoring forum,There was a Great post from a fellow who rigged a bridle with two lines used dyneema line.I copied his rig exactly,works extreamly well,dyneema loops get the long ones loop twice thru ,I am not recommend this but I,used the dyneema loops on chain one night wrapped them the same as you would on rope was still there the next morning.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 18:22   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Look on the anchoring forum,There was a Great post from a fellow who rigged a bridle with two lines used dyneema line.I copied his rig exactly,works extreamly well,dyneema loops get the long ones loop twice thru ,I am not recommend this but I,used the dyneema loops on chain one night wrapped them the same as you would on rope was still there the next morning.
Nice thing about those dyneema loops is that they'll work just as well on the chain as the nylon.
Old 14-03-2012, 19:05   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean Bound View Post
Rat tail stopper would also work well, no?
Never tried it for that purpose, but it should work. What I don't like about the rat-tail-stopper for this purpose is that it has quite a few wraps around the line -- more so than the relatively simple rolling hitch and thus might be a bit more troublesome to deal with if you need to get it lose in a hurry...in the dark, in the rain...

Never tried the prusik hitch for this purpose either, but have used it as an ascender. Again, should work as well and maybe a bit easier to manipulate in challenging situations. Be sure and only use dyneema as a tail to form the loop though -- you want to bridle to be stretchy because it also functions as a snubber. Should be 3-strand nylon or similar high-stretch stuff.

The most common hitch used for this purpose on cats is a rolling hitch. Quick and easy to tie and untie. A rolling hitch is "binding hitch" that will grip tighter as the load increases. I routinely use them on my ground tackle set-up and I have never had one slip even in up to about 50+ knots of wind sustained. They can also still be easily and quickly untied even after being heavily loaded.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:10   #13

I use short Dyneema loops, one for each leg of the bridle (although you could just use one loop and attach both legs to it). These loops are wrapped into a Prussic knot as described on the Shockles site below.

I make my own out of 1/4" Dyneema (about 5500# breaking strength) and my design is similar to the Shockles Line Grabber LineGrabber - Secure Line Snubber or Anchor Snubber to any line but I use a modified Brummel splice which is stronger than the Shockles splice. Instructions to do the splice can be downloaded here http://www.colligomarine.com/docs/mi...eb_rev_1_2.pdf.

I use Wichard snap hooks on each bridle leg (SWL 3000#) Snap hooks / carbine hook / symmetrical without eye / length 120 I use this model without eye so the wide side can be used with a stainless thimble spliced into the bridle line and the narrow side hooks the Dyneema loop. This makes the hook removable and I can swap out the quick release hooks for a conventional screw-type galvanized D shackle when I want to use the same bridle to leave the boat long-term on a permanent mooring. (With a mooring I also use closed-cell split pipe insulation on the bridle lines; which prevents them from sinking and getting caught beneath a mooring float and wrapping/chafing on the chain.)
Old 14-03-2012, 21:30   #14

Quote:
I use short Dyneema loops, one for each leg of the bridle (although you could just use one loop and attach both legs to it). These loops are wrapped into a Prussic knot as described on the Shockles site below.

I make my own out of 1/4" Dyneema (about 5500# breaking strength) and my design is similar to the Shockles Line Grabber LineGrabber - Secure Line Snubber or Anchor Snubber to any line
just to clarify, look at the 'double wrap' image at the bottom of the linked page.
Old 15-03-2012, 13:11   #15

Very interesting. Two thoughts based on my former life as a climber...

You could easily do the same using a single larger loop (don't need to have a line with 2 loops in it). I believe that a webbing loop would grab just as well, and pre-sewn dyneema webbing loops are easily available at any climbing shop.

SailFastTri seems to use two carabiners (snap hooks), one for each leg of his bridle. Don't try to cheap out and use one carbiner with two separate bridle legs and the dyneema loop on it! It will be about 1/4 as strong as rated because it will have a tri-axial load on it. Carabiners always need to be loaded in the long direction only.

Tags
anchor, rode