Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2010, 15:08   #31

Boat: Lark - 14ft Racing Dinghy - Heart Of Gold
BubbleHeadMD.

We need more people like you! Yes, you're going to make mistakes, but it's always best to make them when you are not under pressure. Making mistakes when you're racing gets very serious very quickly.

When racing we have usually tied the genoa (correct term for an overlapping foresail (ie. a big jib)) to the guard rail with a couple of sail ties. That's worked fine on a 38 footer in 35+kts of wind. Always ensure the tack is on then hoist away. You may find that some form of clip (not a shackle, you'll never undo it) on a short strop works well on the tack, rather than the simple hook that some yachts have.

Sailing in winter is a pretty cold and often bleak experience, however, there are a few nice days, and the more time you can get on the boat the better. When the water starts to get busier it's advantageous if all the small procedures are second nature. I think I might suffer from that this year, as I've had some time off sailing recently.

If your young female crew shows particular interest, then get her involved in a dinghy sailing club. You might find you benefit from some experience in smaller boats as well. There are generally people looking for crew, or who would happily take you out and give some advice.

All the best,

Tim B.

PS. The chances of you knowing what you don't know are as small as to be negligable. However, you recognise that you don't know something and that's a good place to start.
Old 20-01-2010, 15:53   #32

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Hi Fishman -
I had this rigged on my old gaffer and never had any chafe problems. Since the hanks have the sail out from the stay the rings rarely if ever make contact anyway. Neither the rings or the downhaul line need to be very big. It takes some fiddling with to make work smoothly but it was worth it to me since my forestay was out on the end of a widowmaker of a bowsprit.
Outstanding! Thanks!
Sorry fer the minor hijack there, Bubble....
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 15:59   #33

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
BubbleHeadMD.

We need more people like you! Yes, you're going to make mistakes, but it's always best to make them when you are not under pressure....

Sailing in winter is a pretty cold and often bleak experience, however, there are a few nice days, and the more time you can get on the boat the better. When the water starts to get busier it's advantageous if all the small procedures are second nature...

If your young female crew shows particular interest, then get her involved in a dinghy sailing club. You might find you benefit from some experience in smaller boats as well. There are generally people looking for crew, or who would happily take you out and give some advice......

PS. The chances of you knowing what you don't know are as small as to be negligable. However, you recognise that you don't know something and that's a good place to start.
Ditto on that. You chose a time with little area traffic so you could make your mistakes (somewhat undetected ) and you've involved the kids in something that will teach them focus, discipline, attention to detail, and teamwork. Life itself is risky and kids (especially at their age) are babied too much nowadays. If they will learn, teach them. A good parent is always mindful for their safety anyway.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 17:10   #34

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Thanks guys. No worries on the hijack Fishman. I got something good from it too.
Old 20-01-2010, 18:35   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
At least ya didn't almost have your boat sink the first time out like I did. Keep on keeping on...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 19:29   #36

CC, any chance we could read that story sometime in the Sailor's Confessional thread?
Old 21-01-2010, 13:01   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Sure, I'll post it up today. It was my very first sail....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote