Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26   #46

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Seaworthiness of Houseboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
While indeed true that people make the great loop in some strange watercraft; this does not make it a good idea! I read about a guy that did it in a souped up pontoon boat recently. I cringed thinking about storms I've been caught in while in a sea worthy boat. Many people perish out on the Great Lakes underestimating their fury in a blow. SC
Many people with faster boats than a sailboat never really get caught in storms...a man's gotta know his limitations (his boats too)...though I don't think Clint added the last part...

I know a lot of people who shouldn't go to sea in a 50 foot top of the line sailboat either...they are dangerous just walking down the dock....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
The OP is not talking about a trawler, a motor cruiser, a cruising catamaran etc, all of which may be safely taken to sea depending on the sea state and their seaworthiness. He's asking if it is safe to take a US defined houseboat to sea! The answer is no... It would be stupidly dangerous to do so, especially to cross the gulf stream. He's asking for considered advice not some gung-ho comments about idiots who may have got away with such voyages in the past.

No OP, houseboats are not seaworthy, they are excellent for the conditions they are built for such as rivers, lakes, ICW etc, but even then you should voyage with caution.
I understand that you don't take a normal houseboat out in bad weather. But could you make a cruising catamaran more like a houseboat? What parts could be redesigned to make it more open if you didn't have to worry about being in Michigan past Oct. 1st? Or in the South during the typical hurricane season.

And maybe if I had a boat I would know 60 people, but I would have a hard time getting 10 people right now.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38   #48

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I understand that you don't take a normal houseboat out in bad weather. But could you make a cruising catamaran more like a houseboat? What parts could be redesigned to make it more open if you didn't have to worry about being in Michigan past Oct. 1st? Or in the South during the typical hurricane season.

And maybe if I had a boat I would know 60 people, but I would have a hard time getting 10 people right now.
Cats are sometimes...more even usually greatly affected by weight...sure you could modify one...but you may be limited with too many mods as weight may become an issue.

There are crfuising power cats but they are usually REALLY expensive and still suffer from some design limitations.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12   #49

Boat: I Want A Catalac

Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:25   #50

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Having lived up in Sault Ste Marie, I'm not even sure I'd take one out on Lake Superior. Piddling about in Georgian bay maybe, lots of islands you can hide behind if the weather goes delta sierra, but even out in Lake Ontario or Erie I'd be leery. They do best in sheltered water. Like Rivers. Or duck ponds. Bathtub maybe?
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Not wishing to over encourage someone to do something above there abilities. or daft. or both , but......

I would treat the journey to somewhere and the being based somewhere as 2 different issues.

Whilst a journey can often be acheived in the most unsuitable of vessels, with some preparation, careful planning, knowledge of limitations, good weather and a dollop of luck (or at least the absence of any bad luck) - IMO far more important that the vessel be suitable for use in it's destination.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 15:24   #52

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Having lived up in Sault Ste Marie, I'm not even sure I'd take one out on Lake Superior. Piddling about in Georgian bay maybe, lots of islands you can hide behind if the weather goes delta sierra, but even out in Lake Ontario or Erie I'd be leery. They do best in sheltered water. Like Rivers. Or duck ponds. Bathtub maybe?

Just drowned my keyboard, Thanks,

That just about sums it up in a nut shell.

House boats are best suited for bath tubs along with your rubber duckky,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:45   #53

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld

Many people with faster boats than a sailboat never really get caught in storms...a man's gotta know his limitations (his boats too)...though I don't think Clint added the last part...

I know a lot of people who shouldn't go to sea in a 50 foot top of the line sailboat either...they are dangerous just walking down the dock....
That is true. Maybe that's why we are labeled as nuts? As if I'd really be out there in a storm if I had a choice?! If I could do 25 kts to outrun it I would. I don't mind saying that sailing the Great Lakes can and has been more treacherous than anywhere else I've sailed. You get beat to death.

On that latter part I do too. Some days I resemble them too!! Now if only I had that top of the line 50 footer... :-). SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:48   #54

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai
Agreed SabreKai. That would be one heck of a bathtub. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote