Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-11-2014, 01:53   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
seamanship books

I take great interest in fellow sailors, cruisers experience and advise. Indigenous knowledge of art of sailing. For me it is an art to be able to move around with a yacht, sailing yacht, trawler, motor sailor. It takes many years, lots of reading, lots of hands on experience, lots of patience, lots of skill, perseverance to get to a point where one can be a self-sufficient sailor (book Pardey's). We all, or I assume most, prospective, novice and old salt sailors have gone through a very rigoroys process of information and experience gathering with their own ideas guiding them. We have many books on seamanship, yacht management, many of them combining sailing skill, mechanical skill, yacht life skill ideas, tips, info. I feel it is time for us to analyse these books. To use them as starting point to share and do what we do best on CF. Lets start by listing the top quality seamanship books and have CF members write small review!
Old 16-11-2014, 04:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: seamanship books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
I take great interest in fellow sailors, cruisers experience and advise. Indigenous knowledge of art of sailing. For me it is an art to be able to move around with a yacht, sailing yacht, trawler, motor sailor. It takes many years, lots of reading, lots of hands on experience, lots of patience, lots of skill, perseverance to get to a point where one can be a self-sufficient sailor (book Pardey's). We all, or I assume most, prospective, novice and old salt sailors have gone through a very rigoroys process of information and experience gathering with their own ideas guiding them. We have many books on seamanship, yacht management, many of them combining sailing skill, mechanical skill, yacht life skill ideas, tips, info. I feel it is time for us to analyse these books. To use them as starting point to share and do what we do best on CF. Lets start by listing the top quality seamanship books and have CF members write small review!
I realize I have to stress that I am not intending this CF thread to be another seamanship book thread perse but a thread allowing experience of senior CF members to filter through to members that need assistance in their search for sailing, cruising, yacht management knowledge. I started reading the Art of Seamanship book by Ralph Narajo and after reading his section on anchoring I realized that my analysis of his anchoring write got me to think about my anchor situation. I think sharing such interpretations fattened by our own experience can make for extra indepth insights lifting CF to higher level.
Old 18-11-2014, 02:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: seamanship books

To kickstart the discussion, from Ralph Narajo, "The art of seamanship" I started by reading the section on anchoring. He writes that yachts up to 40ft can do with manual windlass. I have had yacht of 30ft without windlass, then 34ft with Lewmar vertical windlass with rope drum and. 8mm chain gypsey, then modified the windlass to hirizontal manual Lofrans Royal with rope drum and 8mm chain gypsey. I have also had the opportunity to use windlasses on yachts above. 40ft. I particularly liked hydraulic driven windlass. The argument for speedy departure from anchorage which became dangerous after wind or current shift has been most used against the slow manual windlass. However I tend to agree with Narajo that manual or electrical windlass below 40ft yacht wont make much difference. Rather the manual windlass has the advantage with 8mm chain and 35-45lbs anchor. The electrical windlass on a below 40ft yacht wont be more powerfull than maximum 1500Watts 12 V system. These small electrical windlasses wont better the manual windlass in emergency! The yacht will have to move up to the anchor under power as windlasses, manual or electrical, cannot pull such weight! The manual windlass, slower in retrieval of ground tackle, has however a manual break which operates very well. the electrical windlass has about triple retrieval speed but cannot sustain this power for long, the electrical power it uses makes it necessary to run engine, and the breaking on the chain under serious pressure ( remember we have excessive strain as we leave in a hurry current, wind against us) can destroy windlass, burn electrical motor. The manual windlass can keep retrieving, breaking with simple manual leverage. If you dont have time to retrieve yoyr groundtackle in an emergency buoy of the chain and dump it to retrieve later!

Tags
books

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: