Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-08-2015, 17:26   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Sloop - s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
Re: Seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Who was it that said "gentlemen never sail to weather"? ...
Without equivocation, I'd definitely say it was Kilroy.

kerrydeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 18:36   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Now, if we could only get rid of the pesky rolling caused by quartering seas!
Dare I mention an additional hull or two?

(D,RFC)

Old 04-08-2015, 22:22   #48

Thanks for your responses folks. The situation was sailing a Catalina 27 from San Francisco to Monterey. The wind was 5 kts from the SSW.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:17   #49

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
So, you decided to run and deployed a drogue?
Yup, there was no way anyone was going forward in those conditions, and i don't carry a sea anchor anyway. The only time i can think of that they might be useful is if you are on a lee shore with no engine and conditions are such that it's possible to get up to the bow. They're also big and cumbersome - i'd struggle to deploy one in poor conditions, and having seen how quickly a bow bridle chafes through from the pitching of the bow of a boat on a mooring in a hurricane i wouldn't trust it in the much larger seas at sea. There's also the problem of checking on it regularly, and the loads on gear are huge. This is all purely conjecture of course; if anyone has used one successfully in a storm i'd love to hear about it.

The drogue worked out very well indeed for me. Simple cone drogue made from some canvas from an old genoa, with some webbing from some cargo straps. Approx 6-foot diameter entrance and 5 inch exit, set 250-feet astern of the boat from two lines, each coming back to a primary winch through a block on each quarter. I particularly liked being able to take up more tension on one line than the other, thereby keeping the stern of the boat more or less into the waves rather than into the wind necessarily, as the waves take a little time to shift as the wind clocks around. No chafe either. Prep work done down below and deployed safely from the cockpit despite the occasional breaking wave crashing into it. Checked every half hour safely. Can't beat it in my opinion!
Old 05-08-2015, 08:30   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Yup, there was no way anyone was going forward in those conditions, and i don't carry a sea anchor anyway. The only time i can think of that they might be useful is if you are on a lee shore with no engine and conditions are such that it's possible to get up to the bow. They're also big and cumbersome - i'd struggle to deploy one in poor conditions, and having seen how quickly a bow bridle chafes through from the pitching of the bow of a boat on a mooring in a hurricane i wouldn't trust it in the much larger seas at sea. There's also the problem of checking on it regularly, and the loads on gear are huge. This is all purely conjecture of course; if anyone has used one successfully in a storm i'd love to hear about it.
For the same reasons you cite, I decided long ago deploying a sea anchor when sailing alone was something not worth trying. My foresails are hank-on and I'm content to let one shred itself to smitherines after striking before I'll risk going forward to gather it up in dangerous conditions... So, I'm going to risk my life going forward to deal with a sea anchor threatening to rip the bow off in similar conditions? Naw, like you I'd make a run for it first...

Quote:
The drogue worked out very well indeed for me. Simple cone drogue made from some canvas from an old genoa, with some webbing from some cargo straps. Approx 6-foot diameter entrance and 5 inch exit, set 250-feet astern of the boat from two lines, each coming back to a primary winch through a block on each quarter. I particularly liked being able to take up more tension on one line than the other, thereby keeping the stern of the boat more or less into the waves rather than into the wind necessarily, as the waves take a little time to shift as the wind clocks around. No chafe either. Prep work done down below and deployed safely from the cockpit despite the occasional breaking wave crashing into it. Checked every half hour safely. Can't beat it in my opinion!
Thanks.
Old 05-08-2015, 23:14   #51

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I am pretty happy to sail headsail only in some conditions, but I always consider myself to be slightly compromised in this condition. I don't like to be on a leeshore without a main set, or in any situation where I might have to tack.

Normally if the wind is forward of the beam, I have the right amount of main up. Downwind a furling headsail alone is fine as long as you plan ahead well, and don't suddenly need to get to windward in a rush.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: