Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 11:40   #61

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Basically, motion or sea sickness results from a conflict between the eye and ear: the inner ears detect that the boat is moving, but the eyes, focused within the boat, do not. The brain gets conflicting signals, and nausea results.

The synergy of our eyes and ears is how we maintain our sense of balance. The more agile and athletic one is, the more sensitive he is to this synergy, and thus to motion sickness.

The individual's degree of agility is why some remedies work well for some but not others.

One theory is the brain assumes that the cause of the stimuli mis-match is due to ingesting poison, and reacts by signaling the stomach to eliminate it by hurling.

AHHH RRRRAAAAAALLLLLLLPH!

And this is why one feels better after spewing his guts.

Ive found that some find relief from sea sickness by dulling their senses with certain medications, and some find relief by soothing their stomachs. Ginger seems address both for me, ginger ale, ginger snaps, ginger tea, and Ginger the movie star who was stranded on Gilligans Island!

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 20:47   #62

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I had a dog named Eddie that would get car sick--never had him on a boat--and ginger snaps worked well for him as well. Don't feel bad James, about getting sick once you lose your sea legs after a spell on land. Story has it that Lord Nelson did too.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:14   #63
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
SEASICKNESS? That's nothing but a lazy excuse to go laydown, and take a nap! I know I've had to use it a couple of times.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:25   #64
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There's no magic in ginger. It is a rubifacient, makes the skin ruddy as it opens the capiliaries. Which increases the blood flow in the entire body and brain. Which oxygenates the body. Which reduces seasickness in 1/3 of the people who try it.

NASA found that out along with a whole lot of other stuff about sea (space) sickness before the moon launches.

Of course Chinese herbalists had 3000 years of history saying the same thing.

That's also why smoking makes some people seasick, smoking can lower the blood oxygen levels by 9% from the monoxide in the ciggies.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:46   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Astrid…well that answers a lot…..I do occasionally have feelings of grandeur.

Interesting bit of info, hellosailor sailor......a rub-if-ac-ient.....I should have guessed as much.
Seriously...I have type one diabetes...good circulation, especially in the legs/feet is always a concern....I'm going to try and learn more about rubifacients....thanks.

I thought that space sickness was due to the lack of gravity…putting your stomach in your mouth….or rather its content!!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:09   #66
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Space sickness is sortof due to the lack of gravity. But it still comes down to the eyes and ears getting two different information flows. The three tiny ear bones that combine to provide balance signals? Are now floating in zero-g, providing random signals that are totally out of kilter with the eye and body. So while the source of the "bad signal" is different (from zero-G) the problem itself is still the same.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:35   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Got it....thanks
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 21:31   #68

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Queasy Pop for Sea Sickness

<<Developed by healthcare professionals to provide relief from the queasy stomach associated with motion sickness and chemotherapy. Queasy Pops are effective due to our special formulation of essential oils from natural herbs and aromatherapy, in combination with our unique delivery method. Our ongoing empirical and anecdotal research to improve and develop our unique flavors has proved satisfying for our many customers. Queasy Pops also alleviate dry mouth, provide quick calories for a nice energy boost and are overall very soothing and comforting.>>

Preggie Pops for Morning Sickness & Queasy Pops for Nausea

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Space sickness is sortof due to the lack of gravity. But it still comes down to the eyes and ears getting two different information flows. The three tiny ear bones that combine to provide balance signals? Are now floating in zero-g, providing random signals that are totally out of kilter with the eye and body. So while the source of the "bad signal" is different (from zero-G) the problem itself is still the same.
They dont call it the "Vomit Comet" for nothing...

97octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:39   #70

Boat: 30ft-Acen
being in the navy i have seen a lot of diffrent ones, me in the past i got a headake then pased after i slept it off over night. some end up losin there lunch. most frome what i can tell is that about 80% is able to sleep it off. there is this new patch that gose behinde the ear lasts a week i think, heard a lot of good things about it. if the navys usng it then its got to be on the markit somewhare
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18   #71
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"is this new patch that gose behinde the ear lasts a week i think, "
Sounds like the scopolamine patch (scop) that was on the market for a long time, pulled off the market for about five years (because making nicotine patches was more profitable) and has been available again for the past 10(?) years. Works very welll for about 3 days, not a week, but can have serious complications.
Remember the military may also have products, including meds, that are not available by rx to the civilian market.
Old 12-11-2008, 22:08   #72

Boat: 30ft-Acen
lol naaa navys crap is just given a diff name, sme crap just costs a bit more, what kinda world would we be in if little brother wasent geting payed by big brother for something that costs nothing...

its out there somewhare. maby its 3 days i dont rember, ive never used it.

could just be like most of the "cures" in youre head....
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness