Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 03:17   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Salvaged yacht does a runner...

So we tried to help this yacht after she ended up on the reef, sailing out of nonsuch bay in the narrow north channel. We couldn't do much with dinghys so the salvage team was called which eventually pulled them from the reef after being pummelled by waves for a few hours.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457263048.945968.jpg
Views:	1451
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	120088
This 70 footer ElyBlue requested help from a local salvage company. It went to help, incurred damage themselves but eventually got them off and took them last night to cat club. The Italian owner/captain pulled a fast one & left the island before dawn. Their AIS was on temporarily showing then heading south at 9 knots. If any of you sees this boat call or text +1 268 464 7333 thanks. Customs, immigration, port authority, police, coast guard and of course, the salvage company all want to have words.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Sadly there will always be abuser's of natural decency.. like the guys who T-boned me then reversed away while the crew covered the name on the stern.. then turned and ran leaving me unable to sail or motor and having to be towed in..
He ignored my call for assistance.. just tried to dodge his obligations in favour of his pocket with no regard for consequence to others..
I hope they catch and nail this ******* as well..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:42   #3

Re: Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Classy. Well, not really.

ELY BLUE - Sailing Vessel: current position and details | MMSI 247209930, Callsign | Registered in Italy | AIS Marine Traffic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	640
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	120092  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

People never cease to amaze me... Mostly in less than honorable ways ...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:33   #5

Question on rules of salvage....say that this boat is the guys home, he has no sizable cash reserve, what happens even had he stayed? Does the country let him stay in-country long enough to sort the mess? Can the salvage company take his "home" and leave him homeless?

Just curious as the salvage laws can be pretty draconian. Yes I reconginze that they saved his boat....
Boathooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boathooked View Post
Question on rules of salvage....say that this boat is the guys home, he has no sizable cash reserve, what happens even had he stayed? Does the country let him stay in-country long enough to sort the mess? Can the salvage company take his "home" and leave him homeless?

Just curious as the salvage laws can be pretty draconian. Yes I reconginze that they saved his boat....
So.. basically your saying that if one lives in an RV/Camper and break down in the desert.. then get towed in.. and had no cash.. one could/should expect/hope to be able to keep living in it until one can find a job then pay the debt off in monthly instalments..
Hmmmmm

But.. YES.. they can put a claim on the boat and if the debt is not settled within a set time it can be auctioned off.. proceeds going to Salvage and Storage/associated expenses and some loose change might reach the owner.
Most auctions are fixed.. for the quality boats.. local power likee boat
One step closer to CC proof/payment before assistance

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:00   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

That boat will eventually get arrested in some port. This is the day of internet and they know the identity of the yacht. Of course they could sail far up the amazon and disappear for the next twenty years. It just might work.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:04   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. basically your saying that if one lives in an RV/Camper and break down in the desert.. then get towed in.. and had no cash.. one could/should expect/hope to be able to keep living in it until one can find a job then pay the debt off in monthly instalments..
Hmmmmm

But.. YES.. they can put a claim on the boat and if the debt is not settled within a set time it can be auctioned off.. proceeds going to Salvage and Storage/associated expenses and some loose change might reach the owner.
Most auctions are fixed.. for the quality boats.. local power likee boat
One step closer to CC proof/payment before assistance
This is the logical result of poor navigation: the salvage laws exist to acknowledge that saving a vessel and its crew is not without risk, and the way to avoid incurring this fate is to not require the service.

I would also suggest that the odds of owning and maintaining a 70 footer without having two pennies to rub together is zero, and that one shouldn't go to sea without sufficient reserves or insurance to cover this eventuality; sufficient reserves can and should include having to sell the 70 footer in order to pay off its salvage. I would imagine what's left over could buy a very nice 40 footer, which is perhaps more to this skipper's skill set.

Lastly, they departed from Falmouth Harbour/English Harbour: I know these places. "Bring money" is the watchword.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:30   #9

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

I ran a towing business for a lot of years, don't know how many cars we pulled out of the beach where if they had stayed the EPA would have come in and fined the people tens of thousands of dollars, yet we hand them a thousand dollar bill for the recovery and they would lose their minds and accuse us of stealing from them even though the charges were perfectly legitimate.

I hope this skipper is caught. Really not cool what he did.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:38   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I would also suggest that the odds of owning and maintaining a 70 footer without having two pennies to rub together is zero
You'd be surprised ...

I know at least 2 sailors who can barely afford to buy groceries but hey, at least they have a big boat with all the bells and whistles ... Or so they think, cos they don't own their boats, the bank does. Doesn't always end well
Old 06-03-2016, 08:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
I ran a towing business for a lot of years, don't know how many cars we pulled out of the beach where if they had stayed the EPA would have come in and fined the people tens of thousands of dollars, yet we hand them a thousand dollar bill for the recovery and they would lose their minds and accuse us of stealing from them even though the charges were perfectly legitimate.

I hope this skipper is caught. Really not cool what he did.
I've seen a few people that simply did not want to pay for ANYTHING. With cars there are impound yards. Maybe one could put a "boot" on the propeller?
MaxWebXperienZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:46   #12

sy Ely Blue doing a run in the night

sy Ely Blue was rescued from the reefs in St. Johns and towed in to land.

Early next morning she did a run South without settling up with coast guard or rescue team.

Here is the latest AIS report with position 5 March and vessel details.

Not a good behavior!!

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016_3_6_1_32_53_189_PM.png
Views:	621
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	120098   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_3_6_1_33_3_770_PM.png
Views:	513
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	120099  

sinbad8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:50   #13

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: sy Ely Blue doing a run in the night

Already posted: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-162399.html
Old 06-03-2016, 09:02   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
So we tried to help this yacht after she ended up on the reef, sailing out of nonsuch bay in the narrow north channel. We couldn't do much with dinghys so the salvage team was called which eventually pulled them from the reef after being pummelled by waves for a few hours.
Attachment 120088
This 70 footer ElyBlue requested help from a local salvage company. It went to help, incurred damage themselves but eventually got them off and took them last night to cat club. The Italian owner/captain pulled a fast one & left the island before dawn. Their AIS was on temporarily showing then heading south at 9 knots. If any of you sees this boat call or text +1 268 464 7333 thanks. Customs, immigration, port authority, police, coast guard and of course, the salvage company all want to have words.

The rights of repairers under PPS - Australian financial services law and credit law from Bright Law
Old 06-03-2016, 09:03   #15

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Some people flee when they might have other problems: intoxicated, wanted by authorities, ill gotten or illegal material on board.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salvage, yacht