Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 10:51   #121

Boat: Tartan 40
Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

"I totally meant to do this"

So i've seen this pic a lot. Real? If so, what're the chances that fender cushions the boat if it topples because the person decided to move around....😂
Bottom of that bulb must be broader and flatter than it looks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:57   #122

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Real?
Yes, if this is the boat I think it is (and not too many this happens to or at least, not with this as a result ).

Some (more daring) sailors do use wadpoten ...

Old 10-03-2016, 12:00   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekTech View Post
It varies from state to state. In Texas, you can record a conversation if one side gives permission. So I could record any conversation I am on. However, if the person is in another state, that state may have a serious issue with it.
MA is "consent of both parties" state unless it's in a public space where there is no expectation of privacy but even then it's open to wide interpretations.

Perhaps asking the salver to use a bullhorn will counteract any expectations of privacy.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:13   #124

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Just ask the NSA/FBI for a copy. Probably be better quality as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:49   #125
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

vjm-
Florida can write any law they please. However, the Federal Communications Act gave the FCC the sole and exclusive power to regulate all radio transmitters in the US. And the FCC says that a "cell phone" is a radio transceiver, not a telephone. Therefore the Florida laws apply only to wired telephones (coincidentally, the FCC says a telephone is always a wired thing) and any law which contradicts the FCC's rulings, which expressly allow any party to make recordings of radio transmissions, is null and void.
Yeah, Florida and Mass and a few other places can get upset. TFB, that's progress. Concepts like "wiretap" are, by federal definition, limited to wired networks. If you want to record a cell phone call, go ahead. The FCC gives you their blessings, and has Congress behind them.

Which leaves a really curious question: Exactly who is removing the recording ability from Android phones? And, why are the carriers and makers both so fast to say it wasn't them, it was the other guy?

(There's never a tinfoil hat around when you need one.)

"Some (more daring) sailors do use wadpoten ..."
In English, "grounding legs". Not a new concept, but most of us are scared to try it.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 15:09   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
vjm-
Florida can write any law they please. However, the Federal Communications Act gave the FCC the sole and exclusive power to regulate all radio transmitters in the US. And the FCC says that a "cell phone" is a radio transceiver, not a telephone. Therefore the Florida laws apply only to wired telephones (coincidentally, the FCC says a telephone is always a wired thing) and any law which contradicts the FCC's rulings, which expressly allow any party to make recordings of radio transmissions, is null and void.
Yeah, Florida and Mass and a few other places can get upset. TFB, that's progress. Concepts like "wiretap" are, by federal definition, limited to wired networks. If you want to record a cell phone call, go ahead. The FCC gives you their blessings, and has Congress behind them.

Which leaves a really curious question: Exactly who is removing the recording ability from Android phones? And, why are the carriers and makers both so fast to say it wasn't them, it was the other guy?

(There's never a tinfoil hat around when you need one.)

"Some (more daring) sailors do use wadpoten ..."
In English, "grounding legs". Not a new concept, but most of us are scared to try it.(G)
My understanding is that FEDERAL LAW ( 18 U.S. Code § 2511 - Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited) states:

<SNIP>
(i) such device is affixed to, or otherwise transmits a signal through, a wire, cable, or other like connection used in wire communication; or

(ii) such device transmits communications by radio, or interferes with the transmission of such communication; or
<SNIP>

to include wired as well as wireless phones.

Florida Statutes do so as well, notably in the start of (934.03 Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited.—)
<SNIP>
1. Such device is affixed to, or otherwise transmits a signal through, a wire, cable, or other like connection used in wire communication; or
2. Such device transmits communications by radio or interferes with the transmission of such communication;
<SNIP>

And just as the Federal Government needs a warrant for a wiretap on a land line, they also need a WIRETAP for a cell phone. Wiretap laws apply.

If the law did not apply to cell phones, then one could suppose that no warrant is needed for ANY cell phone.

The good news is that ALL the federal and state laws SPECIFICALLY STATE that one can record public traffic (like marine traffic), and that allows one to record the VHF conversation....

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 16:10   #127
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Missing something, yes. If Florida passed a law saying "Only white landowners over the age of 21 can vote" it still wouldn't be legal, because *federal* law sets voting rights, and any state law attempting to touch those rights is null and void.

This isn't the first time states have contradicted the fed, or vice versa. "States' Rights" remains an active issue on all sorts of ways. CT used to say that radar detectors were illegal, until someone took that to the Supreme Court (in the 70s? 80s?) and the USSC said "That's a radio receiver, only the FCC can regulate the use of them" at which point CT didn't immediately change their law--but they did immediately drop all proceedings that were still active, i.e. tickets for it. Somehow, VA still calls them illegal, I've never found out why VA continues to get away with it.

Call your insurance company, or gas company, in Florida. They'll tell you "this call may be monitored or recorded for (whatever)". You think they'll turn off the recording if you ask them to? Regardless of what laws anyone thinks regulate it?
Old 10-03-2016, 16:32   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Is this like Federal law says marijuana use is illegal, so no State can allow it? 🤔
Sorry couldn't resist

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 16:39   #129
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Same argument. As to who has the legal authority to regulate herbs...I don't see that given to the Fed in the Constitution, so it might just be "reserved to the states".

As to how pot became a dangerous Reefer Madness Addictive Drug Menace...Well, even in the 70's the Yippees came up with an interesting suggestion. Banning drugs increases "drug crime" and stimulates the economy as more people are robbed by mad drug users. And keeps the victims too busy working to replace their goods, to spend any time in other troublesome things, like protesting or attending political rallies. Just because every (every) Presidential and Congressional committee charged with looking at legalizing pot has said "Yeah, you ought to legalize it, that's the only way to control it, didn't you folks ever hear how Prohibition came out?" doesn't seem to have changed any Federal minds. One might suggest there's too much money buying too many votes the wrong way.
Considering the way states are legalizing pot (and meanwhile, the federally regulated banks won't open bank accounts for the businesses selling and growing it) it would be REAL interesting to see 50 states legalize pot, and the Fed still try to pretend there's any logic or gain in criminalizing it.
"Rasmus, that'd better be cotton y'alls growing down there." "Yessir, massah."

Yeah...Sometimes, there are going to be disagreements.
Old 10-03-2016, 17:33   #130

I believe that in the UK it's perfectly legal for private individuals to record their own calls on mobile or landline.

I'd try to record/video every word and everything that happened in a possible salvage situation.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:47   #131
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

The skipper was caught up with in Guadeloupe. The bill as around $11000.00
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:10   #132

Boat: Ohlson 29

Wonder what running away will cost him ...

Where did you hear this, Monte? Any news on what'll happen next?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:20   #133
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
The skipper was caught up with in Guadeloupe. The bill as around $11000.00
Damn.. I'm in the wrong game..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 13:28   #134
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Second hand info from rescue skipper. Yeah an expensive mistake but would have been much worse without the rescue.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 13:57   #135

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Second hand info from rescue skipper. Yeah an expensive mistake but would have been much worse without the rescue.

Was the rescue skipper claiming salvage? 11k doesn't seem like enough from what folks have guessed salvage at being 100k plus. No experience with it and curious.
SC

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salvage, yacht