Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 05:23   #151

Re: Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
This number is now floating around as if we know for a fact what the costs were. We do not. Could me more, could be less - we simply don't know.

Since that number is based on a % of the value of the boat, which wouldn't have lasted forever on that reef, it might very well have been worth whatever the costs are. Maybe his insurance that might have covered (part of) the costs, assuming he has any.
Unless the fee had been negotiated in advance, no one knows the cost -- it is a matter of negotiation. And, given the apparent certainty of loss without immediate salvage, and the risk to the salvor, as evidenced by the damage it incurred, 20% may be far less than the salvor was asking. That is where insurance comes in -- they not only pay the bill, but negotiate the amount and in the meantime defend against claims.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 05:23   #152
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Salvaged yacht does a runner...

Actually it was started by 1st responders who when they found their RIB's insufficient to deal with the situation advised professional assistance which one presumes was done by the Skipper/Owner.
So far neither of them have commented so the rest is the usual speculation.
Monte.. being amongst the 1st responders has tried to keep us informed however truth be told, on the money and reason for the 'Runner'.. it is not relevant to my mind other than when one hires someone to do a job there's usually a fee to be paid on completion.
The owner can bluster and ******** all he wants but he was in the wrong if he sailed without notifying his rescuer of his plans.. which apparently he did not.
Its usually folks with money who pull this stunt funny enough.. they'll buy a 300K boat then try and welch a $20K bill from the delivery skipper..
Wonder if the Skippers defenders are looking for ways to welch without getting caught..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 05:36   #153
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
That is where insurance comes in -- .
Maybe the insurer told them to head to another country?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 05:59   #154
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I want to know who he's insured with in that case... they're not usually that quick..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-03-2016, 06:58   #155

Is the cost of repairing whatever damage the salvage boat suffered yet known - and is there evidence of that damage being sustained during that particular incident?
I ask because I don't remember ever seeing a salvage boat without significant unrepaired damage.

$11,000 doesn't sound much compared to previous estimates of the value of that yacht but for a rescue lasting (less than?) a day it seems like very good wages to me.

If your house is burning and the fire department demands $11,000 before they'll begin to put out the fire would that be reasonable?
If the fire department was a private business would that make it reasonable?

What if your neighbour takes advantage of your desperation and demands, say, $1000 to borrow his hose pipe?
Would you feel that was perfectly reasonable because your house is worth $5million and it's insured anyway?
Would you later meekly pay up, turn the other cheek and thank him or would you be incandescent with rage and tell him to sue you?

Let's say you were in Monte's place but had succeeded in pulling that large, expensive boat to safety - would you demand a large payout?

If that large expensive boat were yours would you insist that a fellow sailor accept such a sum despite his protestations or would you instead insist on buying him dinner?

Despite how it must seem I'm genuinely not supporting either side, just wondering out loud about the rights or wrongs of this thing while I put on the asbestos suit
btw you can call it negotiating rather than demanding if you like but a desperate person is in a poor position to negotiate.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 07:16   #156

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Actually, this seems quite possible - even likely. If I were in that situation I would be ringing my insurer as soon as a salvage was completed or even sooner.

Could be heaps easier for the insurers to negotiate in a territory of their choice so ...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 07:19   #157
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I think leaving a country without clearance pretty much qualifies it as a runner ..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 07:33   #158

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Actually, this seems quite possible - even likely. If I were in that situation I would be ringing my insurer as soon as a salvage was completed or even sooner.
To me it seems unlikely an insurer would ask you to leave a country without clearing customs ...

Since he was sitting on that reef for a while, he had time to contact them before accepting the tow.
In that case, an insurance company can weigh the options and might even pick up the bill cos the tow would mean a lesser pay-out then letting her go down (if covered at all, obviously).
Old 13-03-2016, 07:55   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I think leaving a country without clearance pretty much qualifies it as a runner ..
If it was leaving when it hit the reef might it have already cleared out? Obviously I don't know the area or routes.
If so and after the rescue he wasn't able to clear in again (night time?) could a skipper believe he was still cleared out and therefore legally obliged to leave - or is that nonsense?
No idea how the system works there or anywhere else, just wondering.

I don't see that an insurer advising a skipper to leave a country could make an illegal act legal or an immoral one moral though - for either party.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 08:22   #160
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

From the sound of it this is a company.. if so they have crew wages to pay and commercial insurance rates.. from what I gather some damage was inflicted on the rescue vessel to boot.
Example.. in SMX I priced a basic SS solar arch made to measure from two companies Dutch side.. quotes were $4.5 to $5.5K.. got it done by a one man show French side 'with' the addition of fittings for a dinghy davit system and provision for fitting a wind gen each side.. a work of art for just $3K..
Companies cost more.. fact of life.
Something else.. in my search for a boat in 2000 in flew into Antigua to look at a Tri.. it was on a mooring and the guy who was doing the Guardianage wanted $100 to dinghy me out to it to view.. its not just companies that do this.. liveaboards try it on as well

Old 13-03-2016, 09:23   #161
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes the rescue vessel had some damage. Nope he wasn't cleared out, hence customs and immigration wanting to have a word. The Rescue operator asked the chopper to take some pics of the boat on the reef to show the situation as he has had others run in the same circumstances. I guess he won't be rushing to pull any of us off the reef in the future..
Old 13-03-2016, 09:39   #162
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Speaking of reef rescues. We pull quite a few off the incorrectly charted reefs around here. This cat hit the reef full tilt at about 7kt and actually lifted a few inches above the waterline in the process. Both keels were hard aground but undamaged. Tried pulling her off with a stern anchor and eventually managed with around 80hp of dinghies plus the cats engines. I was actually about to give up on this one but someone else's persistence paid off. This is about the 4th or 5th that have hit the reef in the same place over the past couple of months.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457887144.742587.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	120597
Old 13-03-2016, 09:44   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Speaking of reef rescues. We pull quite a few off the incorrectly charted reefs around here. This cat hit the reef full tilt at about 7kt and actually lifted a few inches above the waterline in the process. Both keels were hard aground but undamaged. Tried pulling her off with a stern anchor and eventually managed with around 80hp of dinghies plus the cats engines. I was actually about to give up on this one but someone else's persistence paid off. This is about the 4th or 5th that have hit the reef in the same place over the past couple of months.
Attachment 120597
I wonder how much would installing a nav warning stick would cost? Or would the locals rather keep charging for the rescues?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 10:56   #164

Boat: Tartan 40

What a shame for the marine life....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 10:58   #165

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boathooked View Post
Dang, what is going on with this world were so little compassion remains for anyone? Especially in the sailing community?
It's not about love and compassion. It's about honor, gratitude, character, responsibility, and integrity.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salvage, yacht