Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 04:43   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Salty Dog Rally Incidents

"Two boats were dismasted, 2 lost their rudders, 1 broke a broken steering arm, 1 had a damaged toe rail and was taking on water and last but not least one boat broke up with a delaminating bulk head. That crew was air lifted to safety by the Coast Guard and the boat was abandoned."

Anyone know how the Caribbean 1500 rally got on?

Edit . . . . . To answer my own question . . . The 1500 left early (as I recommended in another thread ). "There has been a news report out of Virginia that five boats made distress calls overnight last night off the US East Coast. None of the boats were involved in the ARC Caribbean 1500 rally. In fact, the majority of our fleet is more than halfway to Tortola enjoying lovely weather and will start making landfall tomorrow night and Sunday morning in the BVI, the result of acting quickly and flexibly last Saturday to take advantage of a narrow but favorable weather window on which to depart."
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:15   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Glad everyone is safe. I know the Dream Reach and its skipper. It's a proper boat for offshore sailing, big 54' steel boat. It probably takes a gale to get that heavy boat up to speed. No suprise that it was in one piece and lending assistance.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:36   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Salty dog rally incidents

Good gracious, timing seems to be everything.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:12   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Good gracious, timing seems to be everything.
Yes, it is. Leaving on a particular date, like the Sydney-Hobart race, is a recipe for disaster. Even the prestigious Transat Jaques Vabre delayed their start this year.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:16   #5

From the CG news release, identified Nyapa (HansChrisian 38) lost mast but ok motoring south, Ahisma (Morgan416) taking on water- people taken off boat by helo, Zulu (Alden 54) lost rudder/steering- towed in by CG, and Jammin- (Catalina 42) lost rudder.waiting for tow. Does any body know of boat that had delaminated bulkhead and taken on water? Any other daage reports?
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:26   #6

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

The Salty Dog homepage, opening paragraph indicates it's the organizers philosophy to let the skippers decide on their departure dates, and that some boats left as early as the 2nd while some delayed until the 8th. I suspect the number of incidents relative to the Carib 1500 relates more to the fact that the salty dog rally requires no fee and no boat inspection, so you're naturally going to get some boats that are in lesser repair upon outset.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Four Coconuts.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
The Salty Dog homepage, opening paragraph indicates it's the organizers philosophy to let the skippers decide on their departure dates, and that some boats left as early as the 2nd while some delayed until the 8th. ...the salty dog rally requires no fee and no boat inspection, so you're naturally going to get some boats that are in lesser repair upon outset.
...What could possibly go wrong?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:10   #9
Eternal Member

There are more than four times the number of boats in the Salty Dawg Rally as in the Caribbean 1500.

Just prior to race time, I believe the registrants were >120 for the Salty Dawg and ~ 29 for the Carib 1500.

While timing IS important, so is preparation, experience, boat build, and....luck.

Nevertheless, it does seem that the dismastings, lost rudders, engine problems, delaminations, injuries, debilitations, and other problems were more numerous than they should have been, even in the difficult conditions of the rally.

However, conditions predicted and reported by boats themselves as well as the Coast Guard and weather routers were nowhere near as bad as they could have been, and many problems occurred in conditions that you'd expect any well-found offshore boat and experienced crew to be able to weather.

Proof of this is demonstrated by the approximately 100 boats which are continuing in the race, many of which are now reporting excellent sailing conditions.

IMO,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:06   #10

I'd like to know the particulars on the Hans Christian dismast. If the rig was in good shape I find it really hard to believe that a properly canvased HC will lost its spar. The chainplate specs could tow a tank, the wires are typically doubled, one set of spreaders, and the earlier models had no furlers.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:05   #11

I have participated in the Carib 1500 (fall 2011), Salty Dog (Spring-2012), and the Marion Bermuda 2007. The Carib 1500 "inspection" was to insure you had equipment they deemed important. It included crotch straps for life jackets, spray hoods etc. The inspection was 2 days before expected departure. This is not sufficiant time if the boat is not prepared properly. Many of the boats had not been offshore before. Heavy weather jibs, storm jibs were not required. The Marion-Bermuda race is more strigent with their requirements and their inpections weeks if not months before the race.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13   #12

Last I knew there wasn't a rally out there that hasn't seen its share of "accidents"". Correct me if I am misinformed. The good thing is that everyone is OK last I heard.

Kismet
joshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:32   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

I wonder what the percentage is for boats going south as part of a rally having problems are compared to those that just go it alone.
Old 10-11-2013, 13:46   #14

Boat: Express 37

Regarding the Hans Christian 38 dismasting, I know the boat and crew well. The boat was in excellent condition, well equipped and the crew is experienced and very capable. I can't imagine what caused the dismasting, but conditions had to be pretty rough. The last post from the crew (before the trouble started) stated that conditions were squally. Haven't heard from them since (except through the Coast Guard reports, and Salty Dawg organizers) but understand they are safe and motoring South.
SamuelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 14:00   #15

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'd like to know the particulars on the Hans Christian dismast. If the rig was in good shape I find it really hard to believe that a properly canvased HC will lost its spar. The chainplate specs could tow a tank, the wires are typically doubled, one set of spreaders, and the earlier models had no furlers.

just out of curiosity, is the mast on your boat deck stepped or keel stepped?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt