Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-12-2014, 19:15   #1

Salty california kid needs advice

I've come to you guys in need of help, I'm from southern California and have been on the water my whole life, be it surfing, diving, or spending weeks on Catalina fishing and hiking and I've spent a lot of time on/around boats as well. I have always had a huge passion for the ocean and sailing. I'm only 18 but I've pulled together enough of a budget for a bachelor pad-esque level boat that i can use to sail the coast as well as live aboard off Catalina. If I can pull it off I have a job lined up next summer in two harbors to facilitate the endeavor. Im looking in the 27 foot range and have read plenty of books on sailing and can theoretically sail on paper but i was wondering how I can gain first hand experience sailing offshore, excluding attending a sailing school. Are there any apprentice style deckhand opportunities for long distance sailing/racing that i can get into? thanks so much for the help.

Old 22-12-2014, 19:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Salty california kid needs advice

Go to your nearest yacht club and post a crew available notice. Latitude 38 has a crew list though don't know if the southland people post or look at it. Racers are always looking for crew especially if you'll show up for every race. Yacht clubs are the best source to find those racers. You could also hit all the local marinas with a bulleton board and post a crew available notice. Know I had people begging me to go out as crew for races when I was working on my boat on the weekends.

Old 22-12-2014, 19:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Go to your nearest yacht club and post a crew available notice. Latitude 38 has a crew list though don't know if the southland people post or look at it. Racers are always looking for crew especially if you'll show up for every race. Yacht clubs are the best source to find those racers. You could also hit all the local marinas with a bulleton board and post a crew available notice. Know I had people begging me to go out as crew for races when I was working on my boat on the weekends.
cool, ill definitely give that a shot
Old 22-12-2014, 19:40   #4

Check out local membership based sailing clubs. Most allow nonmembers to sail with members, sometimes free, sometimes for a nominal fee to cover insurance, etc. That's how I started. You get to sail all kinds of boats in all kinds of conditions with all kinds of people of varying levels of expertise. Then you can decide which boat is best for your particular goals, needs and budget. Also many clubs continually restock their sailboat inventory selling some of their aged boats on the cheap as most of them are nonprofits.
Old 22-12-2014, 19:55   #5

there's plenty of promising looking posts on latitude 38 but what would your advice be as to committing to one, its a little intimidating based on the fact it can be international travel for months on end with a complete stranger/s
Old 22-12-2014, 19:58   #6

do have any suggestions for boat selection? im far from a high class sailor, ive been looking at like 27 footers, some of them being as cheap as like 3-5 grand
Old 22-12-2014, 20:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaunders View Post
do have any suggestions for boat selection? im far from a high class sailor, ive been looking at like 27 footers, some of them being as cheap as like 3-5 grand
Lots of reasonable boats in the 27' range for that price. Look at Catalina, Pearson, C&C, Tartan, Bristol, Contessa, to name a few.
Old 22-12-2014, 22:04   #8

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I'd look at Catalina 27's. You might try Seal Beach YC to try and get on as crew, or post something in the WM right next to it, they have a bulletin board in the back.
Old 22-12-2014, 22:41   #9

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

My advice is for you to post the crew available notice, but mention you want to get experience with the smaller boats (mention several brands and boats by sizes or name) that you may consider buying in the future. By focusing your effort and time on that class of boat, you can see how those boats sail, and you can learn firsthand how to handle them, what their owners share with you can help you later get a good one for yourself.

You could also contact a local class association and ask to have the secretary let their members know you are available to crew, even if it is not yet race season.

If you are thinking of buying a boat, then the time you spend on them prior to your purchase could be a smart investment of time with several benefits.

Good luck.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 06:56   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, wsaunders.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 07:03   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Plenty of cheap boats to be had there... Good luck on the Two Harbors gig... You'll have a blast if you can make it happen!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 07:10   #12

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Sounds like you've got the right attitude and spirit to make this work. Even if folks aren't racing and just going out for a day sail you may find a ride. I started off just buying a boat and jumping into it. I read a few books, bought a catamaran and went. Maybe not the brightest way to go about it, I get wet more than a few times but had alot of fun.

Your budget for the size of boat you're looking out sounds reasonable to me. I've got my 29ft for sale in that range. It's in the wrong state for you to consider but you should be able to get a boat with a running engine and working sails and rigging for that. It may look ugly as sin but don't let that deter you. All of my boats started off pretty ugly, as long as they have a sound structure it's not too much work.

When your shopping for boats go on marina cruises (walking around the storage yard). Ask around (guys working on their boats near by, yard guys, brokers) about the boats that have been for sale for a while, or neglected and un-launched for years . You may find one in decent shape that isn't listed for sale at a bargain price. Just DONT BUY A PROJECT BOAT, at least not as your first boat. Get something to learn on and sail right now. Projects can come later. Good luck!
Old 23-12-2014, 07:21   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
DONT BUY A PROJECT BOAT

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:51   #14

Oh to be 18 again. If you have never sailed before you should pick up a well used board boat and learn to sail on that. The feed back on a board boat (sunfish, sunflower, etc) is very quick and you will learn to "feel" the wind and what it is doing and what you then have to do to stay dry. The advice to start crewing is also very good, but as crew you won't get to steer much so I would strongly recommend a month or two on a board boat as well. Good luck.
Old 23-12-2014, 08:54   #15

ranger 23 or catalina 27 the catalina comes in centerboard model so its on a low trailer. its cheaper to store easy to launch and you can launch the boat in say santa Babara leave the trailer say in san diego have a wonderful; 2 day sail

ranger also made a 26 ft ft baot. you can get these in the 4 K range. catalina assoc has a great support group for parts and knowledge of the boat

Tags
cal, california, salt

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: