Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 06:33   #31

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Sailing off the windward side of a dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sorry, I can swing mine with the mainsail alone.

Maybe you need to try it.

Maybe considering a wind vane will help you understand

Also think when heaved too. You use your mainsail to turn the boat more into the wind.

You have a little Bristol 27 dude. It’s a whole different game in a bigger boat.

I have a windvane. A monitor. Love it. Have done a few ocean crossings with them and know them well. How does being very familiar with wind vanes help me to understand your point?
Old 25-07-2018, 06:36   #32

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

While my exposure to global fuel docks is limited most/all are not configured for this type of maneuver without exposure to touching other boats or obstacles. Eg if you hit my boat trying to prove you’re captain Ron I might be a bit irritated.
Old 25-07-2018, 07:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
richr, I think the basic idea involves getting the bow off the dock first, (push warp kedge whatever) such that even with leeway the boat is clear.

In my experience, a little rubbin' on the stern quarter is likely.
Yep, I get that. The point being that once you've kedged off a ways, you're no longer sailing off the dock. And a beach cat (1) seldom carries a kedge (2) if it did, plus chain, it wouldn't have the awesome sail area/displacement our friend enthuses about (3) it would still have to kedge further than a fin Keeler and much further than a long-keeler.
richr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 13:21   #34

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You have a little Bristol 27 dude. It’s a whole different game in a bigger boat.

I have a windvane. A monitor. Love it. Have done a few ocean crossings with them and know them well. How does being very familiar with wind vanes help me to understand your point?

Yeah no way I would try it with your 40' though I would buy a ticket to see someone else give it a go. Most 27 footers can do this if you really shove off hard, and not give it a little girly push. Not enough headway right from the start and you just get pinned back on the dock or drag your stern along it like a puppy with worms scooting on the rug, thoroughly amusing any bystanders.

Other boats on the same pier, close ahead, are a game changer, obviously.
Old 30-07-2018, 07:15   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimSails View Post
OR ask Aquaman to telepathically contact his aquatic friends for help pulling the boat off the dock.

At least on my boat (only one motor, and no bow thruster, let alone a stern thruster) that approach would be just as likely to work.

Dear Kim,

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, but am happy to tell you that it's easily remedied. If you'd care to let me know where you're located,

I'll put you in touch with our local sales office.

John M
Shameless Commerce Division
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:24   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Is there something wrong with your engine? I would NEVER sail off a dock, anchor, mooring as long as the engine worked. The risk of damage to my boat, the dock, another vessel is too great to play cowboy. We weigh 40 tons, 58 feet. Maneuverability in close quarters with zero speed is nil and we don’t fend off by using hands.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Certainly not. Pass a bight, not an eye. Make off the bitter end and the standing part, both, on the boat. To cast off, let go the bitter end, pull on the standing part and bring it all back on the boat. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Many call this doubling the line back.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:46   #38

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Is there something wrong with your engine? I would NEVER sail off a dock, anchor, mooring as long as the engine worked. The risk of damage to my boat, the dock, another vessel is too great to play cowboy. We weigh 40 tons, 58 feet. Maneuverability in close quarters with zero speed is nil and we don’t fend off by using hands.

I ask because I think it's useful to understand what is possible. The received wisdom in many introductory books and classes is that it is simply not possible to sail off the windward side of a dock. Many experienced sailors repeat this. Nonetheless, we have at least two people posting upthread that they have done it.

Like you, though, I would not attempt such a thing with a large vessel in tight quarters, without good reason.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:04   #39

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

With your boat I think we can indeed dismiss the idea as impossible. Not possible to shove off hard enough to get the necessary way on. With a much smaller boat, still not really a good idea IMHO but it can be done and I have done it. Never on a boat with a working engine, though. That would not be very smart at all. In fact in my marina it is at least technically a lease violation to sail in or out. Some boats unfortunately do NOT have a working engine or any engine at all for that matter.

Sailing off a mooring bouy or from anchor is another topic altogether and is quite doable if you are not packed in tightly between lots of other boats, even with a 40 tonner. But prudence would still dictate using the engine if possible, or at least have it standing by.
Old 04-08-2018, 15:21   #40

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I only have one question... Did anyone else notice that Jim Cate was too smart to post on this thread?

Tags
dock, sail, sailing, wind