Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2012, 15:43   #16

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Sailing Classes in Vancouver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicycanada View Post
Wow thanks for all the info I will look up these companies based on your recommendations and let you know how it turns out. Nice to know so many people here are from Vancouver. I still wonder is there any major difference between ISPA, CYA, and IYT? As in does one have big advantages over the others? I am guessing the obvious is international vs national.
International vs national doesn't really seem to make a difference as far as recognition. You'll find more people doing CYA which is an advantage if you want to take more courses. I compared the ISPA and CYA beginner courses and prefered the material for the CYA. I then did CYA all the way through to offshore skipper and thought it was good.

The instructor's probably more important than the certification body, though.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 00:24   #17

Hi JuicyCanada,

Wonder what school you end up choosing? I am a Vancourite and recently have some flexibility in my work schedule. Was thinking of dipping into sailing since I have always envied people on sailboats! I am completely new though - have been only on small dinghies and never a bigger sailboat. So I googled and found your post and this thread.

Would love to know your final decision, and if Jackdale allows me to PM him to get some more advice it would be great!

WinkMan
WinkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12   #18

Not sure if you have found something yet, or if the exact area, but try this website Sea Star Voyage
We know the skipper is very experienced as we met him & his partner in Australia many years ago when we were both cruising at the time. He knows his stuff and has an easy going nature. Good luck!
cheers
DMGF
dmgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicycanada View Post
Wow thanks for all the info I will look up these companies based on your recommendations and let you know how it turns out. Nice to know so many people here are from Vancouver. I still wonder is there any major difference between ISPA, CYA, and IYT? As in does one have big advantages over the others? I am guessing the obvious is international vs national.
All of those standards are recognized.

Some procedural differences
- both CYA and IT use written exams for each standard. ISPA uses module assessments.
- CYA and ISPA have separate navigation courses / manuals, IYT integrates them
- CYA navigation courses can be completed without a practical. Both IYT and ISPA have on the water practicals.
- IYT can offer an International Certificate of Competence through the Irish Sailing Association, ISPA has its own, CYA does not offer one.

There are some content differences:
- CYA and IYT coil lines, ISPA flakes lines
- CYA and IYT teach figure 8 MOBs, ISPA uses a heave-to, sail-to, heave-to method
- ISPA has a single-line docking method

Regardless of what route you take, the quality of instruction is what matters.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing