Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2010, 05:25   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
The dutchman system is a mainsail flaking system. When it works right it allows you to drop the main flaked neatly, quite quickly.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 06:45   #47

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch
Send a message via MSN to irwin28
Is it like having lazy jacks?
irwin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 07:09   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lazy jacks contain the sail when it comes down. The dutchman lines are threaded through the sail. They are both there for managing a main sail that has been doused.
Old 26-01-2010, 10:55   #49

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Lazy jacks contain the sail when it comes down. The dutchman lines are threaded through the sail. They are both there for managing a main sail that has been doused.
Here's a link............

Doyle Sailmakers: Dutchman
Old 26-01-2010, 11:48   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Didn't I put a link in the #46?

And to MVB...not some silly sail maker that ripped off the manufacturer's site...
Old 26-01-2010, 16:38   #51

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
The dutchman system is a main sail control unit that usually has monofilament lines that run vertical in the main sail through eyes so that when sail is dropped it flakes itself on boom. There are other mainsail control systems including variations of lazy-jack lines which are less complicated and cheaper. A full batton sail and one of these control systems and good jiffy reefing makes main sail handeling a fairly safe and easy afair. Adding a non overlaping 95% roller jib with vertical battons increases the ease of handeling. I routeenly single handed a J/44 with a big main sail useing this set up and I am over 70yrs old. With the proper rigging and gear I realy don't see a good technical reason not to set the main and sail with a balanced rig. Yes there is personal preference- but for those newbees reading this the correct sail set is the balanced rig- and if you have a good boat and can trim it right it will almost sail itself to weather.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 18:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Didn't I put a link in the #46?
Yep! And I missed it.
Old 26-01-2010, 21:13   #53

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
I love sailing with my fractional rig (large mainsail with dutchman system, picture old venetian blinds) as intended,
balanced with both main and jib. I sometimes sail with main alone, drives boat just fine...can't point as high.
Have been known to sail with jib only, occasionally partially
furled in wind conditions from light to howling.
Coming clean was really tough, but needed to get it out in the open.
Do I need to be rehabilitated? Is there a Betty Ford Clinic for
jib sailors?
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 21:40   #54

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Hugosalt, you might as well reserve a spot for me at rehab as well I fly a headsail (my chute) w/o the main fairly regularly - much easier to keep flying w/o having to constantly trim - even use a sock(!) for takedown - I guess I am also qualified for membership in the lazy sailors club

What a passionate group we have, don't we?

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 23:34   #55

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Sailndive, your spot is reserved...trying to get upgraded to a room with an ocean view...have to go now...the self help group
is meeting.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 06:31   #56

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but if one has a 150% genoa and they run the sheet as far aft as possible this helps to balance out the boat.

e.g. Mine being an old racer I have T-tracks all over the boat. One runs along the bulwalk from just forward the mast to the last few inches of the deck. I've put a track block all the way aft and run the sheet thru and back to the winch. So in effect is pulls the aft end to lee helping with weather helm. Although I'm not able to pull in the genoa very tight so pointing up is minimal.
Old 27-01-2010, 10:02   #57

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch
Send a message via MSN to irwin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but if one has a 150% genoa and they run the sheet as far aft as possible this helps to balance out the boat.

e.g. Mine being an old racer I have T-tracks all over the boat. One runs along the bulwalk from just forward the mast to the last few inches of the deck. I've put a track block all the way aft and run the sheet thru and back to the winch. So in effect is pulls the aft end to lee helping with weather helm. Although I'm not able to pull in the genoa very tight so pointing up is minimal.
I was wondering that myself....if bringing ur 150 all the way aft as possible would make a difference
irwin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 11:39   #58

Regarding the 150% jib on the Choate 40 I believe we are dealing with a boat with a J of 16+ ft and an E of about 13 ft probably an abberation of the old IOR raceing rule. Some of these boats will not sail well if at all with just a mainsail all the emphasis was placed in large headsails. Boats with shorter J demensions do not balance well with just a jib up-they will sail many on all points but at a disadvantage and bringing the lead back may help but not same result as with IOR large J boat like Choate. This is a design flaw that most modern boats try to avoid particularly cruisers. This IOR type would incurage a sailor to use his jib as the only sail up and would be easy to balance. In tight waters if you had to tack a lot you get a good work out bringing that 150 around and triming it in. A modern design or pre IOR boat with a short J and a long boom can sail happily with just a main sail. The advantages of this are better visibility and better control of sail and boat along with the lazy advantage, less work in tacking and jibbing etc. So basicly the center of resistance of the hull and the center of force of the rig as sails are set and trimed by skipper have to be taken into consideration for each boat to appriciate the net result. I know with a six pack and some ice who cares
Old 27-01-2010, 12:14   #59

Considered

But this Choate has been modified. The mast is 6" forward then from factory (J=15') and the main is now a 16' vs. 13' w/ a 135% genoa, which actually ballanced out the boat so well is sails itself (hands free) on a close haul and points higher then most boats out there.

But yeah! I get your point but did intend it for others to try if they have a 150% Like I use to do with the old screecher (genoa).
Old 27-01-2010, 16:33   #60

delmarrey-I was out on Puget Sound today-not much wind sloped around for a few hrs there was SUN. I sail.out of Shilshole J dock.