Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 15:59   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnlaashock View Post
This is about the most info I have found so far.

Copied from nationmaster
Since the upper and lower spars provide a frame for the sail, the camber of the sail is simply a function of how tightly the spars stretch the sail. This means that lateen sails are often cut flat, without the complex cutting and stitching required to provide camber in Bermuda rig sails. Curved edges, when mated with the straight spars, provide all or nearly all of the sail curvature needed.
That is what I thought.

The Snark is not a performance boat. Just a fun boat. When you want to really start spending move up to a laser or some such popular go-fast. You can blow a wad on those things for sure.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 19:41   #17

Boat: not much yet
The Snark is a glorified cooler lid with a dagger board, rudder, and sail! It makes you work it and right now that is just fine since I am a complete beginner. I am also disabled with a very limited play budget. Luckily, I don't need fancy. The Snark is teaching me the seat of the pants things I need to know. The Snark will have to do for now unless I get the little bass tracker lined out again. The Snark rig would self destruct if used on it very much.
When it is time, I will get a bigger boat straightened out. I have a puffer that needs the registration staightened out, and an older boat in need of repair or a new hull. Sooner or later I will find a way to repair it, or a hull will become available. I hope it is repairing the 16 footer, because it's "1950ish Chesapeake Bay" working boat design is still the most pleasing to me of any I have seen up close. The simple two jib sheets, a main sheet, and the rudder kind of boat I want. It still has canvas sails!
Anyway, I am rambling again.
The Snark is it unless I get the chance to visit at the one of the clubs for now!
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 05:14   #18

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
Taught myself to sail with a Snark I bought at Best in 1980. Have to say we had a blast with the thing.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 20:15   #19

Boat: not much yet
I spent about three hours in it today on Creve Cour lake. Decent wind, but nothing strong. There is no doubt about it. The wood board is much slower than the composite board, and there is a lot of difference between the two tacks using the wood board.
I managed to stay dry for the most part this time! Took some water when the board was pulled, but nothing else. Taking off from a lee shore is not my best maneuver yet!
Missouri state has made Styrofoam coolers illegal on Missouri lakes and rivers. I am not yet sure how that will effect the Snark. They may have outlawed it today!
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 19:14   #20

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos
Lateen Trimaran

Wow, I am really getting excited about sailing this 1971 Triumph lateen trimaran once I get the splits in the plastic hull fiberglassed, the interior Styrofoam dried out, replace the interior wood cross braces, re-screw the top and bottom plastic together, mounting a rudder and oar locks since you can sit just behind the mast and row. I will be sailing/rowing in Cincinnati Harbor on the Ohio River. Thanks for the great advice on the lateen rig.