Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 17:34   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

This one is a mystery to me...the salvage operation and trip to GCS easily cost $60K.....equipment, manpower, fuel, etc...probably more than the boat is worth and now there is going to be monthly yard rates, etc, etc.

Green Cove Springs is a place where boats go to die an ignoble death. That yard is filled to the brim with broken dreams. I've been there many times. There must be hundreds of boats there that will likely never feel the kiss of water again.
True, 60' is BIG damned boat and even if it gets chopped up for parts, I don't see $60K for the parts. This will probably be the BIGGEST boat there!

Even if the tug company has salvage rights, they would have to fix the boat up somewhat to get it into a saleable condition.
Having said all that...if I was 20 years old again, I'd head to GCS and find me a fixer-upper. 2-3 years of hard work and that boat could be put into charter. There must be at least a dozen or more fixer uppers in various stages of re-build by a variety of people there.

No denying that GCS has a a certain charm to it. Rustic, backwoods, you name it...it has it. Not sure that I would have the moxy or money to fix up a 60 footer..something half that size maybe...I will be curious to see how this tale ends.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 17:41   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would have guessed that the owners would have walked and the City or State be stuck with removal, of course they wait until it’s a huge deal, got to let it break up some etc prior to removal.

Tug made sense to me, the barge didn’t.

They bought the boat to live on I’m sure, and had the same dreams we all do, however I don’t know where in Ga they were going to put it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 17:54   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
What motivates people to spend every penny on a "Fixer Upper"? If its a fixer upper, you spend maybe 40-60% of your capital? So you have money to get things rolling along.

Everyone has made great points on the lack of seamanship involved in this incident. One thing I might ask: if you were inexperienced, or only mildly experienced, why buy such a big boat?
Everything you do to that thing is not only going to cost you a large sum of money, but it takes skill and experience not to hurt yourself on gear that size.

The probably read all the posts on CF telling people that they don't need any experience, that they should just do it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 18:56   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Water is leaking out from the keel thru or around the internal ballast? Rudder is somewhat damaged. Main anchor appears to be about 25 lbs tops. Don't recall if that tried to anchor and dragged.

Guy that was presenting himself as the owner happened to be family friends of the barge company that did the salvage. Claimed the barge owner was a saint and losing money on the salvage. First I head of a successful salvor losing money!

"Owner" wasn't a particularly young guy and I had the impression this was two younger guys? Maybe he bought it on the beach?

Anyway, he reckons a bit of glass and she'll be ready to launch in a week or so........

Parked up just outside the bathrooms at GCS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191010_141028305.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	201314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191010_151413704_HDR.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	201315  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191010_141042923_HDR.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	201316  
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 19:05   #80

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

So far, they have made $270 from 4 people on their GoFundMe page with a goal of 25,000.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 19:26   #81

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
What motivates people to spend every penny on a "Fixer Upper"? If its a fixer upper, you spend maybe 40-60% of your capital? So you have money to get things rolling along.

Everyone has made great points on the lack of seamanship involved in this incident. One thing I might ask: if you were inexperienced, or only mildly experienced, why buy such a big boat?
Everything you do to that thing is not only going to cost you a large sum of money, but it takes skill and experience not to hurt yourself on gear that size.
It's the dream Ben, the fantasy. It's easy to visualize that a boat, cheap for it's size, can be the answer. Exciting, exotic. But if you are inexperienced, maybe you don't see what it is that you don't know, what can go wrong, how much a big boat can be a burden. Maybe you don't even realize that it's BIG. So you stumble into this trap blissfully unaware, on a "something for nothing" high. Maybe it works out for you, maybe it doesn't and your dream winds up on the beach. Natural selection.

Or maybe it sort of works out and you sail off, only to find out, in the Caribbean or Mexico or the south Pacific, that you need more money, and anyhow you don't like it, and your girlfriend wants you to come home.

We don't know what we don't know, these folks for sure don't.
Old 11-10-2019, 17:24   #82

Boat: Tartan 40

Geez look at all those hull and skeg blisters. Walk away....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 19:18   #83

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Geez look at all those hull and skeg blisters. Walk away....
Seriously. That's 60 feet of a million blisters to fix. Totaled right there.

And that anchor. No wonder they didn't use it. It's for a different boat. Like a 23' Hydra Sports or Boston whaler.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 19:35   #84

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Seriously. That's 60 feet of a million blisters to fix. Totaled right there.

And that anchor. No wonder they didn't use it. It's for a different boat. Like a 23' Hydra Sports or Boston whaler.
Sorry guys, I see blisters on the rudder, can't tell if they are paint or in the laminate, looks like paint to me.

But anyhow, open them up, let them drain, fill it with epoxy, sand and paint, it'll be fine, just don't talk to the boat yard guy who does blister jobs, he's trying to make a down payment on a condo. Maybe in a few years you'll decide to do the big job. Meanwhile, go sailing.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:48   #85

Boat: Tartan 40
Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

Where I see evidence of hull/keel blisters is where the bottom paint is sanded away by the grounding

Agree on ignoring blisters. But if you are picking a boat that needs 10s of thousands of other refit items probably best to start with a good hull. Plenty of derelicts with great hulls needing complete refits without adding blisters to the mix
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 06:08   #86
Marine Service Provider

B.O.A.T = bring on another thousand !!!
Old 13-10-2019, 06:14   #87

I want me one of them boats that don't cost any money. Where do I find one?
Old 13-10-2019, 12:26   #88
Marine Service Provider

I found a no cost boat for you.....
..I picked it up while walking along at the beach....it is made from plastic..smallish, about 4" long....but no hull blisters...looks to be a downwind sailor only...hull is red color....topsides are white.....there is some beach sand on it, but a vigorous rubbing will remove it.....it does have an anchor line...again....smallish..string-like in appearance...but alas...no anchor..
I didn't see any hull registration numbers on it, so it is likely a US documented vessel.
The boat appeared to have been abandoned by it's crew and washed ashore..I checked up and down the beach for possible or likely crew, but could see nothing.
I claimed salvage rights as I had to remove it from the beach with my own two hands, but in the spirit of nautical seamanship will be glad to pass it along to you for free.!!!
Old 13-10-2019, 13:13   #89

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I found a no cost boat for you.....
..I picked it up while walking along at the beach....it is made from plastic..smallish, about 4" long....but no hull blisters...looks to be a downwind sailor only...hull is red color....topsides are white.....there is some beach sand on it, but a vigorous rubbing will remove it.....it does have an anchor line...again....smallish..string-like in appearance...but alas...no anchor..
I didn't see any hull registration numbers on it, so it is likely a US documented vessel.
The boat appeared to have been abandoned by it's crew and washed ashore..I checked up and down the beach for possible or likely crew, but could see nothing.
I claimed salvage rights as I had to remove it from the beach with my own two hands, but in the spirit of nautical seamanship will be glad to pass it along to you for free.!!!
Good it will fit in my bath tub.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 13:27   #90

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Aside from the wisecracks, does anyone know what the disposition of the beached boat is.
insurance, towing or salvage?
Blisters seem like a nit. She appears to date to went GRP boats were built like tanks thickness wise.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, jacksonville, sail, sailboat