Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 07:09   #1

Boat: Salona 44
Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

Anyone have details on this? Some combo of engine loss, rudder loss, too close to shore and/or didn’t think to drop the hook? Just curious, the news doesn’t report in significant detail. This happen to another boat in Ponte Vedra last year who was just too close to shore. Then another in the St Aug inlet which is a different deal. Also, curious how they remove a vessel like this...

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...atlantic-beach
Mabel Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:57   #2

Re: Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

I was always a fan of having a dini that is big enough to pull its mother ship from leeshore when it becomes crippeled. and I have done that three times allready. (in "normal" - say bf2-3 sea)
But I have no idea to this moment up to which wavehight this would be possible with .. say.. 40hp in a 4m dingi
Old 07-10-2019, 09:14   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

[QUOTE=Mabel Page;2991789] Also, curious how they remove a vessel like this...

No knowledge on this boat but have removed 2 boats that were high and dry off beach after hurricanes...and have observed what worked and what did not work on a third.

2 boats / each 30 fters. approx. 10,000 lbs. fin keels, spade rudders.
At low tide dug a really large hole around keel and then an even larger hole around rudder. Waited until next high tide and attached line to bow cleat out to heavy duty work boat. Easily flipped boat and dragged forward and out until floated. No damage except very slight scratches around water line on one boat.

3rd boat was a 44 fter approx 44,000 lbs full keel, (short story)after a too small boat could not flip boat a misguided idea to use leverage from top of mast exploded rig. A larger/heavier boat was brought in and successfully completed job as described above.
All was off sand beach in Long Island sound, no rocks no surf.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:46   #4

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

How can a sailboat “lose power”? It’s a SAILboat for cryin’ out loud!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post

LOL..

Thought the same.. Sails needly tight to the boom... Dingi Without Air on Deck...

Not even an anchor droped....

How did they fight the catastrophy?

By intense thinking and watching?
Ibetitsthisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:29   #6

Boat: X442

I am following the anchor discussions on some other threads and am getting more and more convinced: I need to upgrade to, as I now understand it, a Ronca. Surely a decent anchor on that beached boat, let out in 25m water, together with a good length of chain & rode would have helped enormously... The Danforth would probably have been OK, but not even using it seems strange.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
I am following the anchor discussions on some other threads and am getting more and more convinced: I need to upgrade to, as I now understand it, a Ronca. Surely a decent anchor on that beached boat, let out in 25m water, together with a good length of chain & rode would have helped enormously... The Danforth would probably have been OK, but not even using it seems strange.
I bet some, that ANY anchor, with 100m chain, thrown out in 25-20m deep water (not to close to the shore) would have given enough time for rescuers to come and tow away.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Well, at least it's a boating accident you can walk home from. Literally.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15   #9
cdy

The one woman said it was just heading offshore from Jacksonville - the jetties - they only owned the boat for a couple of weeks and taking it somewhere for repair - the seas have been rough and high the past few days - I assume they got to bouncing around while motoring and sediment in the fuel killed the engine - if they were new to the boat - they may not even know how to rig/sail it - bad decision to head off shore given the weather and the newness - to them - of the boat.
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:23   #10

From the article it appears that they lost power about 1 mile offshore in rough weather. They called the Coast Guard who responded and removed the two occupants, but due to rough weather, couldn't tow the boat. The weather washed the boat ashore.

it says the two owners were relocating the boat.

***** SPECULATION ALERT ******

My guess is the boat is new to the owners and was being relocated. They might have gotten in over their heads in bad weather when the engine died. They more than likely doubted their ability to sail in the heavy weather, so called the coast guard. I suspect they were too deep to anchor, so abandoned ship with the hopes of recovery it when the weather subsided. Instead, it washed ashore.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:33   #11

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

If they weren't going to sail it, they could have at least dropped anchor (if they were a mile off shore/clear of the jetties they would have been in 20-40 ft water. Just toss out the anchor with a long rode, snub it, and it would catch eventually and prevented the boat from washing ashore - surprised the USCG didn't do that after they took the crew off. Hang an 'anchor' light on it, and announce hourly on VHF 16. Go back and retrieve/tow boat in calmer winds in the morning.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44   #12

Boat: Nonsuch 30 Classic

THis boat washed up within walking distance from my home. News said that they were moving boat from south Florida to their home in Georgia. I saw the boat on the news and in person. Lost engine power d/t Nor'easter. Conditions were MILD...4 to 6 ft seas, 15 to 20kts wind with occasional gust to 25. The boat ended up on the beach with all sails furled, and 2 good achcors stored on the bow. Looks like No Experience or Common Sense. They could have dropped anchor relatively close to shore and waited it out. Its all sand great holding.
Fishbone 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:46   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 30 Classic

They rode the boat in to the beach and climbed off. it was reported that they called sea tow and that sea tow call the coast guard. very shallow, slow transition in depth. 100yds off might be 30 ft depth
Fishbone 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 13:37   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Even a 100’ rode would give a boat a chance to survive. Even if the CG was pressing them to get off their boat, letting out what rode they had before abandoning the boat would be a prudent thing to do. In emergency situations we don’t always think logically but dropping an anchor should be number one on your list of what to do when anything happens close to the hard stuff. From experience always have an anchor ready to deploy quickly even if it’s just a trip around the marina.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 14:31   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbone 1 View Post
THis boat washed up within walking distance from my home. News said that they were moving boat from south Florida to their home in Georgia. I saw the boat on the news and in person. Lost engine power d/t Nor'easter. Conditions were MILD...4 to 6 ft seas, 15 to 20kts wind with occasional gust to 25. The boat ended up on the beach with all sails furled, and 2 good achcors stored on the bow. Looks like No Experience or Common Sense. They could have dropped anchor relatively close to shore and waited it out. Its all sand great holding.
This is why I’m no advocate of telling dreamers to just go and learn along the way.

Three weeks ago we lost the shaft, then ripped the headsail, in 25 kt winds. Still made it to port under sail.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, jacksonville, sail, sailboat