Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2012, 13:27   #1

Sail Training - Which is Better ?

I understand there are 2 basic schools on sail training ASA and I believe sailnet .does it matter which school I attend.I had picked out a school in texas that is ASA.
All-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 13:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: sail training which is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-in View Post
I understand there are 2 basic schools on sail training ASA and I believe sailnet .does it matter which school I attend.I had picked out a school in texas that is ASA.
LOL... not really... all schools are the same...
Send you out thinking you know it all... which is impossible as you've been trained by someone who don't know it all himself...
Just get the ticket so you can REALLY start learning...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 14:01   #3

Thanks
Old 26-01-2012, 14:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL... not really... all schools are the same...
That's not true at all man.

There are some instructors who go out of their way to ensure that students learn as much as they can, and there are other instructors who are power tripping d-bags.

To the original thread starter, I'd see if you can check any reviews online or get some personal recommendations. The school itself matters a bit, but your instructor matters the most. I had some ASA students out the other week on a basic keelboat class and we made sure that the one lady student who felt the least confident in docking practiced it at least a dozen times. Far beyond what is required by ASA, but it was important to me for her to get as much experience as she can and build confidence.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 14:09   #5

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

In the USA, the American Sailing Association (ASA) and United States Sailing (US Sailing, sail sport governing body in USA) certify sailing instructors. (The Red Cross got out of the business of training small-boat-sailing instructors some years ago. The Royal Yachting Association oversees training in the UK including the very thorough Yachtmaster curriculum.)

IMHO, the US Sailing process might be a bit more thorough, but the important thing is differences between schools and instructors, who may focus on different things, differ in the amount of helm time, have different equipment (boats), and different instructor personalities. And, of course, different sailing venues vary in their level of challenge and quality of sailing, and sailing opportunities vary seasonally.

Different instructors will have different specialties and certifications. Some may be certified for only small keelboat training, others for only small dinghy training, some for multihulls, and some for the whole gamut of boat types and experience levels.

Ideally, you would space out your training a bit and get plenty of practice time in between lessons, and get lessons from at least a couple of different instructors. Variety is the spice of life and it's far better to sail on different boats, in varying weather, with different skippers, that to do the same kind of sailing over and over again.

The best match between you and a school will depend hugely on your sailing interests/goals, abilities, and limitations.

Without that knowledge, instructors can't do a good job of teaching you -- because sailing is something you ultimately have to learn for yourself, even with the help of others.

If your goal is chartering, you will probably learn that charter companies vary in how picky they are; some are quite liberal and seem to take just about anyone with a pulse and a credit card, whereas others look more closely at whatever training you have had and your resume of sailing experience, yet will still want to get a on-scene feeling for your actual ability. This can also vary with just how ambitious your charter plans are.
Old 26-01-2012, 16:10   #6

I am actually looking at buying my own cat
And being a live a board. Once I have some skill will start looking at boats the fall
Old 27-01-2012, 05:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The school itself matters a bit, but your instructor matters the most.
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 05:54   #8

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-in View Post
I am actually looking at buying my own cat
And being a live a board. Once I have some skill will start looking at boats the fall
Except for the basic seamanship knowledge, experience is the best teacher, but a harsh one. Lifes a Hell of an instructor. First you get the test, then comes the lesson.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 06:26   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Which has the better book (manual) coz that what you will need to survive experience.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 16:24   #10

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Sail Training - Which is Better ?

I went to a local sailing school, (ASA101), and was able to rent a sailboat and successfully sail it in a choppy bay the next weekend.

2 years later there are still things I would like to learn, like how to setup a spinnaker, trim sail to stop rolling, or other instabilities, tune a rig, rig for storm, or to correct weatherhelm, how to best adjust boomvang, and cunningham.

But I know enough to be dangerous, and get me from point a to point b, even if point b is directly upwind.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail