Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-01-2014, 02:22   #31
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: Sail combinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
You do not need tickers on the trailing edge of the genua. The genua has them on both side at the front of the sail.

Ticlers on the trailing edge are on the mainsail. You should had done by each batten

Yep, check on all points. Still feeling a bit sheepish about failing to notice them on the main though.

Old 19-01-2014, 05:25   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yep, check on all points. Still feeling a bit sheepish about failing to notice them on the main though.
Don't feel sheepish. Learning to sail takes a weekend. Learning to sail well takes a lifetime

Old 19-01-2014, 14:59   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Don't feel sheepish. Learning to sail takes a weekend. Learning to sail well takes a lifetime

Very true.

But you could also add that it takes effort too. I am paying the price for 35 years of very laid back sailing and discovering that the S42 needs a lot more attention to the details. My lack of rigour matters when I have to get somewhere as against sailing around in casual loops.
Old 19-01-2014, 15:39   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Matt, it's a good thing you are not a Kiwi, or I'd have to worry when you admit to feeling "sheepish"!

Jim
Old 19-01-2014, 16:19   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Matt, it's a good thing you are not a Kiwi, or I'd have to worry when you admit to feeling "sheepish"!

Jim
And good morning to you too Jim.
Old 19-01-2014, 22:31   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Matt,

You might go read up about sailcloth before you talk to the sailmaker! Sho' nuff is a lot of homework to do.

Ann
Old 19-01-2014, 22:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Matt,

You might go read up about sailcloth before you talk to the sailmaker! Sho' nuff is a lot of homework to do.

Ann
Oy vey! I am ever so slightly dreading that particular task.
Old 19-01-2014, 23:01   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Matt, while some advance education isn't a bad thing, the sailcloth spectrum has become so bloody complicated that it is very hard to get current info. I suspect that you already know the basics, and the fine tuning is something that you pay the sailmaker to know about. Just reading the data sheets from the cloth manufacturers will warp your mind!

IMO, the critical thing is to have a good handle on what you want to do with the sail(s), and what your priorities are. That is, price, or longevity or great windward performance or easy handling (our new main is so stiff that it is a real struggle to beat it into submission) or whatever. Armed with that, the sailmaker can recommend cuts, sizes, materials, types of fittings and so on. All too many folks front up and say "make me a new sail" and then get pissed when the result doesn't meet their actual usage. Poor results also happen when mail order sails are used without good input from a sailmaker who does the measuring and suggests appropriate methods and materials.

I can almost guarantee that you will be astonished at how much better your Swannie sails with some new clothes. You may well also be astonished at how much the bloody things cost! The latter fades somewhat on that first sail with the new sails... as she points ten degrees higher and heels ten degrees less... sheer joy!

Cheers,

Jim

PS Some Kiwis have told me that it is really the Aussies who harbour odd feelings about sheep, but whadda I know? I'm a bloody Seppie.
Old 19-01-2014, 23:32   #39

Jim,

Well, in some ways I find all that reassuring.

I would rather go to an expert with a list of what I want from the sail, instead of trying to tell him how to make the sail I want.

What I want, in order of priority is, longevity (or at least ease and simplicity of maintenance), followed by ease of handling, followed by price, followed by performance.

And I accept that putting performance last is something I may regret later, but so far my gut feel is that we will get "enough" out of good quality sails to be happy with their performance.

To this end I believe we will be looking at Dacron sails for the main, genoa, yankee and staysail, with some kind of nylon for the MPS. (The storm jib is like new, and made of Dacron, so I think it will be ok.)

I am aware of a highly regarded sailmaker here in Adelaide, who's sails I had on our last boat and were still race winning condition despite being made in 1986. (though, of course, having had very little use) so at least I have someone to go to whom I have some faith.

But I also have to work out whether the current combination of sails is right for us, before having them slavishly remade in whatever material/weight is deemed best for the task. What worked for the previous owner in the trade winds around Vanuatu may not be the right combination for a pair of coastal hopping tentative cruisers like us. Also the current main is a cruising laminate of some sort, about which many people seem very positive, so maybe I should look more at that aspect?

Matt

P.S. The only odd feeling I have harboured about sheep was that they were looking sheepish when I rode past on my bicycle. What were they hiding? Who had the fleeced?
Old 19-01-2014, 23:34   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

> Seppie

Seppo!
Old 19-01-2014, 23:35   #41

Oh yeah, and some form of main batten that does not play macrame with the lazy jacks would be nice too.
Old 20-01-2014, 00:26   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Matt, I would surely not suggest that you copy the existing sail inventory. Building that up is one of the things that the sailmaker should help you with, since he should have a better idea of how they aid and abet each other than even your PO did (maybe... not knowing that chap or his level of expertise).

Obviously, you will need a versatile mains'l. I'm not convinced of the viability of any laminates so far... that's why we went with Hydranet for our new main. It is a great cloth, very stable, good chafe and UV resistance... but pricey! I wouldn't have the knowledge to make a suggestion for your boat... As to the battens, pockets that are flush with the leech are common, and don't hang up too badly on lazy jacks.

The rest of your inventory requires some thought... thought by someone who really understands the interactions in the foretriangle. And (not wanting to be offensive here) there are lots of folks with cutter rigs who THINK they know this stuff, but likely don't have general enough knowledge to prescribe well for your boat... there's where a good sailmaker might help out.

One approach might be to have a chat with your trusted sailmaker right soon, even if you are not planning the immediate purchase of your new sails. He may well be able to give you some ideas to try out with the current rags that will both improve your sailing and suggest ways that the new ones could be better suited to your boat and style of sailing.

The cost of a new wardrobe is staggering, so some longterm research and some experimentation is a good investment of your time.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-01-2014, 00:28   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> Seppie

Seppo!
Well, I've been called both... should I prefer one to the other, or are they both equally derogatory?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Jim
Old 20-01-2014, 00:40   #44

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Jim
Or plain septic .All equally derogatory but no worse than pommies or those NZ sheep shagxxx?.s are I mean shearers.
But I think you already well understand the Aussie humour or lack of it.
Those Kiwis think it is fine to put a smile on a sheeps face as it makes them more contented and therefore better eating.
Chris
Old 20-01-2014, 01:38   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Oh yeah, and some form of main batten that does not play macrame with the lazy jacks would be nice too.
Matt,

If you want to avoid this, you might want to look at the Dutchman mainsail flaking system
MVBinfo Dutchman Sail Hardware

We had our mainsail resewn for this a couple of years ago and are delighted with the result. Simply release your halyard and the sail drop down and flakes itself. When reefing you're in heaven. drop the main to the reef marks and it is flaked.
We have a sinlge lne reefing, when the main is dropped, we simply taut up the line - sail reefed!

There are an number of threads on CF - pros and cons -

Tags
sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: